Australian figure skaters | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always loved Brooklee Han and her FS was to die for. She not only was the top qualifier for the Olympics, but she earned ISU points for finishing 5th at Nebelhorn. I hope she is the one who gets to go to Sochi.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*dancing around in a circle*

On the flip side, I had a strange nightmare last night that O'Brien and Merriman split. When I woke up my hand was on my phone ready to check and make sure it wasn't real! Yikes! I think I'm oversaturated with skating!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Final Day Information

The final day of competition is an exciting make or break situation for Australia. If Australia can secure additional spots in the Men's and Ice Dance, the joke about Australia at the Team event might not actually become a joke!

Events begins at 4:54pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) with the Men's Free Skate. Brendan will be skating 31st in the final group of skaters. His warm up group is scheduled at 10pm AEST.
If Brendan can consolidate his current placement with a solid Free Skate, Australia will have a place in the Men's competition- a sight which we haven't seen in ELEVEN years!

The final event of the Nebelhorn Trophy is the Ice Dance Free Dance- scheduled to start at 11:15pm AEST. Danielle O'Brien and Gregory Merriman are sitting in sixth place and are currently third out of the couples aiming to qualify. They will be skating 17th in the second last group which is scheduled to have its warm up just after 1:15am (Sunday) AEST. It has been TWENTY-FIVE years since the last Australian Ice Dancers competed at an Olympics- staggering but history can be re-written for sure!

All the best of luck skaters!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought we hadn't had a dance couple since 1988 - which would be 25 years.

GF2445

Record Breaker
:party2: I was out last night and slept in late and woke up to read about Brooklee and Brendan- amazing!! So impressed by Brooklee in particular, for throwing everything down in the FS! :party2:

I know! I woke up just in time to watch her skate. There is something to be said about watching skating live....you get very nervous for these individuals- certainly a different feeling compared to when you watch rugby or football when you are shouting at a tv screen!!! Watching sport is always exciting- but different sports are exciting in different ways!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Han secures Sochi Olympic Games spot

"Australian Brooklee Han, has secured a spot for Australia in the Ladies skating event at the 2014 Sochi Games after finishing fifth at the Olympic qualifying event in Oberstdorf, Germany, Saturday morning (Australian time).

Han was placed 10th in the Ladies event after the short program, but then produced the skate of her life in the free program to move up five places..."

Article Written for the OWIA (Olympic Winter Institute of Australia)
Published on September 28, 2013

Link to Article Below
http://www.owia.org/sport/figure-skating/news/han-secures-sochi-olympic-games-spot

Want to wish our athletes luck? Why not Tweet them a message! I'm not a twitterer but if you are, here are some things you might like to follow.

Ice Skating Australia Twitter @IceskatingAUS https://twitter.com/IceSkatingAUS
Dani&Greg's Twitter @obrienmerriman https://twitter.com/OBrienMerriman
Brooklee's Twitter @brookleeh95 https://twitter.com/brookleeh95
Brendan's Twitter @Br3ndan_ https://twitter.com/Br3ndan_

GF2445

Record Breaker
Wow. There are some skaters in the early groups who are putting pressure on the later groups. Hold on Brendan.

GF2445

Record Breaker
No he got it! He's 3rd among the Olympic qualifiers!

Well I must say, you can now rely alot more on your short program now! That was his saving grace

I must say that the ISU setting a Technical Minimum score must've been a blessing in disguise. In this season, all the top Aussies skaters have pushed themselves technically. And as their technique improved, so did their presentation.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well I must say, you can now rely alot more on your short program now! That was his saving grace

It certainly helps when you don't have to dig out of a hole! But i think even with the mistakes, he showed some very nice jumps and in-betweens. This is a performance to build on. :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
I agree. I loved his reaction when the head of High Performance Director of Australian figure skating, Melina Simjanovic told him "That's all you needed."
Brendan looks so surprised.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Brendan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Men's Free Skate

Skater: Brendan Kerry
Score After SP: 67.97
Rank After SP: 5th/34 Skaters
Qualification Status: 1st/26 Skaters

"That was enough" - It was definitely a nail biting ordeal and many of us were having heart palpitations. Having to skate after Jason Brown who had a blinder of a Free Skate must've been a tough act. Nevertheless, it was another official PB by more than 10 points and it was sufficient to qualify.

Technically, not everything was set properly- there were issues with his Triple Lutz, Triple Loop, Salchow and the Axel combination. In saying that, the fact that he fought to stay upright and to fully rotate the jumps just shows how far as a skater he has come. Only last season he completely bombed in the Free Skate at the Four Continents- his skating has matured. Technically positive things- Wonderful opening triple flip (I think he was planning to have this in combination with a 3T), the first planned triple axel turned into a very nice looking double axel, his second triple axel was spectacular, as well as his Triple Lutz combo. Spins were not at its best today, but I'm sure they are usually fine.

Presentation was still good- better than his short program which is great news. My feedback for his presentation is pretty much the same as what I wrote about in my analysis of his short program--to improve, keep developing the choreography and the expression and those components will improve.

It was a rough skate but nonetheless, it was enough to secure Australia a spot in the Olympics. Australia will love his programs alot- I can assure you that! Job well done Brendan.

Technical Elements:
(Element: BV+GOE=TOTAL)
3F: 5.30+0.80=6.10
2A: 3.30+0.50=3.80
3Lz: 6.00-0.30=5.70
StSq3: 3.30+0.21=3.51
CCSp2: 2.30+0.07=2.37
3Ax[10% bonus for being in second half]: 9.35+1.43=10.78
3Lz+2T+2Lox[10% bonus for being in second half]: 10.01+0.60=10.61
3Lox[10% bonus for being in second half]: 5.64-0.70=4.91
CCoSp3: 3.00-0.21=2.79
FCSp4: 3.20+1.00=4.20
2Sx10% bonus for being in second half]: 1.43+0.03=1.46
1A+2Tx10% bonus for being in second half]:2.64+0.00=2.64
ChSq1: 2.00+0.50=2.50
FSSp3: 2.60-0.21=2.39
Technical Elements 59.56

Presentation (Factor results by X2.0)
Skating Skills (Range of marks 6.00-6.75) >>> 6.39
Transitions/Linking Footwork (Range of marks 4.75-6.50) >>> 5.75
Performance/Execution (Range of marks 5.25-6.75) >>> 6.11
Choreography/Composition (Range of marks 5.50-6.75) >>> 6.21
Interpretation (Range of marks 5.50-7.00) >>> 6.11
Presentation Score after factoring by X2.0 61.14

Total Score for Free Skate 120.70
Rank for FS: 12th/35 Skaters
Total Competition Score: 188.67
Overall Rank: 8th/34 skaters
Overall Rank amongst skaters looking for Olympic Qualification: 4th/26 Skaters

Australia's Olympic Status: QUALIFIED

Final Podium Results
1. Nobunari Oda JPN 262.98
2. Jason Brown USA 228.43
3. Jeremy Ten CAN 205.56

Qualified Skaters
1. Alexei Bychenko ISR 197.46 (5th)
2. Zoltan Kelemen ROU 194.08 (6th)
3. Michael Christian Martinez PHI 189.46 (7th)
4. Brendan Kerry AUS 188.67 (8th)
5. Yakov Godorozha UKR 188.26 (9th)
6. Paul Bonifacio Parkinson ITA 184.07 (10th)
-----------------------------------------------
1st Alternate: Poland
2nd Alternate: Brazil
3rd Alternate: Denmark

Orange Cat

On the Ice
I was busy tonight (AGAIN!) - oh Brendan, well done!! (Now try to give an international FS like you did at SDU, ok? :) )

Come on, Dani and Greg!!

GF2445

Record Breaker
WELCOME BACK AUSTRALIA TO THE OLYMPIC MENS EVENT. ITS BEEN ELEVEN YEARS!

Kerry skates through pain and pressure to lock in Sochi debut

"Brendan Kerry’s star has continued to rise, with the young figure skater placing eighth at the Olympic Qualifying Event in Germany to lock in his spot at the Sochi 2014 Games – in spite of a suspected broken wrist sustained more than a day ago in warm-up.

Kerry aced his short program yesterday with a personal best of 67.97 – positioning the 18-year-old at the top of all 28 men seeking Olympic qualification..."

Article Written by Alice Wheeler for the Australian Olympic Committee
Published September 28, 2013

Link to Article Below
http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/kerry-skates-through-pain-and-pressure-to-lock-in-sochi-debut