Australian figure skaters | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's worth remembering, that although Australia did not have any Pairs teams competing on the JGP and will not have any GP pairs, that it did have a pairs team at Skate Down Under, Eliza Smyth & Jordan Dodds, who finished second in Juniors there, as recorded in their ISU bio.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054303.htm

Is there any plan for them to compete at any other international competitions prior to the Olympics?

GF2445

Record Breaker
It's worth remembering, that although Australia did not have any Pairs teams competing on the JGP and will not have any GP pairs, that it did have a pairs team at Skate Down Under, Eliza Smyth & Jordan Dodds, who finished second in Juniors there, as recorded in their ISU bio.

Is there any plan for them to compete at any other international competitions prior to the Olympics?

In all honesty, I wish I knew but I'm only a casual skating fan. I'm not connected to Australian Figure Skating in any way so I don't know what's going on! We used to have two junior pairs teams but one of them disappeared after last season. Only time will tell!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Oh my god he loves fast cars AND he's a Blue.

Marry me Greg?

I do love the blues alot but they are in dire need of a series win. It has been a case of 'so close but yet so far' for NSW in the State of Origin eight too many times!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do love the blues alot but they are in dire need of a series win. It has been a case of 'so close but yet so far' for NSW in the State of Origin eight too many times!!

They are in dire need of a new halfback and a new selection panel that will pick players who are actually playing well, and not just "names" (ie: Hayne, Pearce, to name the most pertinent examples).

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice

Eliza Smyth is currently recovering from injury. Jordan and Eliza were initially on the entry list for jgp but then withdrew

GF2445

Record Breaker
They are in dire need of a new halfback and a new selection panel that will pick players who are actually playing well, and not just "names" (ie: Hayne, Pearce, to name the most pertinent examples).

I completely agree. Its becoming extremely more frustrating every year that reputation takes precedence over a players current performance level and NSW origin selectors keep wondering why NSW keeps losing. Something has to drasticslly change.

And lets not get into the current overall Australia of Australian Cricket OR the Socceroos! In general, its not a good time for sport in Australia....hopefully Sochi will bring in a sense of refreshment in how Australians see sport and sportspeople.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Eliza Smyth is currently recovering from injury. Jordan and Eliza were initially on the entry list for jgp but then withdrew

Hopefully she will recover quickly! All the best for her. I'm sort of interested about how this pair team could grow and develop if they choose to stay around as this pair team also compete individually in singles events.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am too! I'd like to see Australia (and in fact, as many countries as possible) competing actively in all four disciplines! That, IMO, is how to grow the sport, and incidentally the team event as well.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I am too! I'd like to see Australia (and in fact, as many countries as possible) competing actively in all four disciplines! That, IMO, is how to grow the sport, and incidentally the team event as well.

Yeah. I hope pairs will grow more in Australia because when Dani and Greg finish, there is no other australia dance team that are close to them in quality or technical skill.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Possibly ice dancer Jonathan Guerreiro, with or without partner Ekaterina Pushkash, may move back to Australia at that time. Things are not going so well for them in Russia. AFAIR, he has joint Australian/Russian citizenship.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Possibly ice dancer Jonathan Guerreiro, with or without partner Ekaterina Pushkash, may move back to Australia at that time. Things are not going so well for them in Russia. AFAIR, he has joint Australian/Russian citizenship.

That's a nice thought. Ice dance in Russia is incredibly deep at the moment! We'll have to wait and see...

I don't know. What do you think? Should Jonathan Guerreiro consider a move like this if he and his partner can't get past the other russian teams?

GF2445

Record Breaker
The Australian Figure Skaters Thread wants to wish all the competitors participating in the 2013 Hilton HHonours Skate America in Detroit, Michigan a big good luck! Since there are no Aussies at this or any of the other Grand Prix's, we are rooting for everyone to do well!!
And in the spirit of Jenny Kirk and David Lease, we want to remind you to hold an edge and look sexy! ;D

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
GF2445, I've always thought Jonathan Guerreiro should skate for Australia. Last year he & his partner at least got a GP invitation. This year, no invitation, but they have Senior B's.

GF2445

Record Breaker
GF2445, I've always thought Jonathan Guerreiro should skate for Australia. Last year he & his partner at least got a GP invitation. This year, no invitation, but they have Senior B's.

With the depth of ice dance in Russia at the moment, it seems almost impossible for this team to break out.
There are so many Russian dance teams who thrive as junior but when they turn senior they struggle to stay afloat. It will be nice to see this happening but i will always put Dani and Greg first.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm all for Dani & Greg--but I thought they were planning to retire this year, after going to the Olympics (and perhaps Worlds)?

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm all for Dani & Greg--but I thought they were planning to retire this year, after going to the Olympics (and perhaps Worlds)?

Really? They havent really said they were yet. We will have to see. By seasons end, we will know for sure. If they retire, ill be happy for them but if they continue, i think their future will be bright- maybe some grand prix assignments next season......

Unofrtunately, can only speculate...