Australian figure skaters | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
Barlow grad Han has drive to succeed on ice

"She put on the figure skates for the first time when she was 5 years old, slowly getting used to the spins and the jumps and the footwork that comes with being a ballerina on ice.

Brooklee Han skated for that first time at the Brewster (N.Y.) Ice Arena, but as she grew older and trained more and more, there were plenty of stops at the Newington Arena. For seven years, she skated and trained and became a solid figure skater. When her mother convinced her to go to a skating camp in Simsbury, that's when everything changed..."

Article Written by Chris Elsberry for the Stamford Advocate
Published February 18, 2014

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/spo...d-Han-has-drive-to-succeed-on-ice-5246151.php

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
GF2445, can you find any videos of Brooklee Han from 4CC? or from nationals?

The Ice Skating Victoria channel on Youtube still has all the archived videos of the live stream from Nationals, I think. It would be the last day...I am not sure about what time, but probably four hours in or so.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well done Brooklee. 22nd place currently. If she can put together a strong free, she can move up.
I love her program to Secret. If you love music by Jay Chou, you will love her program.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well done Brooklee. 22nd place currently. If she can put together a strong free, she can move up.
I love her program tomSecret. If you love music by Jay Chou, you will love her program.

She's not doing a warhorse so God Bless Her for that. I've never heard any music by Jay Chou that I know of, and discovering great new music is a goodly thing. I wish her much success.

GF2445

Record Breaker
She's not doing a warhorse so God Bless Her for that. I've never heard any music by Jay Chou that I know of, and discovering great new music is a goodly thing. I wish her much success.

Hi weakankles, its some very beautiful music. Secret is a taiwanese movie starring jay chou, who also wrote music for the movie soundtrack. You can hear her music if you go on youtube and check brooklee's free skate free skate at the nebelhorn trophy.

Congratulations to Brooklee.

I sincerely hope she can acknowledge the Australian-born and Australian-trained skaters who do not have the same opportunities as those overseas and who have worked hard to represent their country but didn't get the chance she did. I hope Brooklee can put something back by speaking out in support of figure skating in the country she has represented.

It is soul destroying for Aussie skaters who have been slogging it out here to see the spot at Sochi go to someone who wasn't born here, has never lived here and has never trained here. And it is hard for the nation to cheer for an athlete who has no real connection to the country other than the passport of a parent.

I don't wish Brooklee any ill or want to diminish her achievements, she is a talented skater and I am sure a nice person and she qualified for the spot fair and square.

But I do hope she can use her profile to give something back to Australian skating, which has given so much to her.

GF2445

Record Breaker

I sincerely hope she can acknowledge the Australian-born and Australian-trained skaters who do not have the same opportunities as those overseas and who have worked hard to represent their country but didn't get the chance she did. I hope Brooklee can put something back by speaking out in support of figure skating in the country she has represented.

It is soul destroying for Aussie skaters who have been slogging it out here to see the spot at Sochi go to someone who wasn't born here, has never lived here and has never trained here. And it is hard for the nation to cheer for an athlete who has no real connection to the country other than the passport of a parent.

I don't wish Brooklee any ill or want to diminish her achievements, she is a talented skater and I am sure a nice person and she qualified for the spot fair and square.

But I do hope she can use her profile to give something back to Australian skating, which has given so much to her.

I hear you completely, you have to feel for Chantelle. She is full of potential but if she wants to push, she will need to either really push herself or she needs to make a change in terms of the coaching situation. She has a very balletic feel to her skating and she has pushed the envelope technically. We will see her at Junior Worlds next month so we will see how she goes.

Back to Brooklee

I wish the Australian Olympic Committee promoted her more. The AOC have had sessions call Chat with Champs where Sochi competitors had a live conference with Australian school children, where the athlete got tomtalk about their training and their lives and the kids got to ask the athlete questions. Its a shame that she was not chosen to be a part of this because Brooklee is such a great example of a hard working person.

Despite her skating success, she has achieved alot for a young woman her age. Despite missing almost 50 days of school for skating, she still managed to graduate from her school with top honours and has gained entry to a prestigious institution for university. In an interview with her school, brooklee spoke about how she managed to stay ontop of her skating and her school work. She is also accompished in Dressage (Equestrian) and violin and started a comminity orchestra in her town.

Brooklee can give back by inspiring Australian children to reach their potential but we need to AOC to do the work. Also you cant blame her. She wanted to progress in the skating world and using her dual citizenship was her best shot to achieve this. The depth in the US is so deep that it wouldve been extremely difficult for her if she continued competing formthe USA.

Also, Brooklee has family in Melbourne and Adelaide and in an interview with Ice Skating Victoria, she says she visits australia yearly and when she can, trains at the Icehouse at Docklands in Melbourne.

scooter

Rinkside

Excuse me, but Brooklee EARNED the olympic spot, not any of the other Australian skater. If it was not for Brooklee, Australia would not HAVE a lady at Sochi. If Australians cant be bothered to cheer for Brooklee, that's their problem. Many skaters from many countries move to train in different parts of the world. It's unreasonable to hold Brooklee to a standard that no one else has to adhere to.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Many skaters from many countries move to train in different parts of the world. It's unreasonable to hold Brooklee to a standard that no one else has to adhere to.

Not to say I'm agreeing with Downunderskatefan, but this isn't at all like Torah moving to Utah, or Lydia moving to Finland, or Brendan moving to California. Brooklee didn't move anywhere - she was BORN in the US, and that I think is Downunderskatefan's problem. And I must confess it doesn't sit entirely comfortably with me either that when they showed her interview on Channel Ten last night our skater spoke to the reporter in an American accent. I have never grasped the concept of country-hopping.

But I do adore Brooklee's skating, and she is lovely to watch, and she seems like a nice person as well. I am glad she is doing well. I haven't seen the long program yet, but I hear she was wonderful. :love:

Chantelle's time will come, especially if she keeps working hard. What Chantelle doesn't need is people like you, Downunderskatefan, making trouble...

Possum Glider

Rinkside
Wow
Wow
Wow
It's time to move on, Brooklee qualified to skate the Winter Olympic Games curtesy of luck of being born in the USA of a parent who was born in Australia. Chantellle was not good enough for ISA to consider her for the selection competition because she did not have the international scores to back up a birth certificate.

We will never know the could have beens because they didn't happen. Right now Chantelle has been having difficulty training due to a back injury sustained in a car accident in mid last year, so one can presume she would not have been at full fitness for this week anyway. One can only presume it is history repeating itself.

My advice to Chantelle would be to leave Australia, move away from her mother and learn to skate with some power but for goodness sake keep away from Brendan as he has been effected enough by the drama queen sister syndrome.

Any Australian born and full time training in Australia is doomed to obscurity because we have neither the coaches, suitable ice conditions nor the numbers to be true contenders on the world stage.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well done Brooklee for finishing in 20th place and moving up two spots. A top 20 finish was just what the doctor ordered.

Overall, Team Australia has something to be proud of.

Top 20 in Ladies and Ice Dance and I hope Brendan's setback will lead to a change in mind and stronger mental performance.

I'll do a deeper analysis of each performance soon.'

Here is a wrap up of the Figure Skating.
http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/wrap-figure-skating-at-its-finest

I'd like to take issue with two points: firstly that I am making trouble and second that it's time to move on.

This is a valid issue for discussion and one that should be debated. It's not about Chantelle but about the message we are sending to all Australian skaters and the future of home-grown talent. What hope is there for Australian skaters if they are treated with contempt by selectors who would prefer to parachute in any opportunistic foreign skater who isn't good enough for their own country? Australia needs to decide whether or not it is committed to its own athletes.

I am not arguing that Brooklee's selection was unearned or illegal. But surely it was obviously neither "fair" nor "right" in the broader sense of the words or in the spirit of the Olympics. I understand that Brooklee was using whatever means she could to further her own skating career and I guess all elite athletes need a touch of selfishness. But that doesn't make it right.

Personally I would rather Australia sent no ladies skater to Sochi than someone who has no connection with the country and is Australian on paper only. The funds would have been better used bolstering our chances for an Australian to go to the next games, whoever that might be.

We have watched Dani and Greg and Brendan grow up and train here. They've been an example and inspiration to young skaters. They have struggled with insufficient ice, limited coaching resources and lack of international competition. Yet they made it to Sochi and we can be rightly proud of them.

Yet we continue to value our own skaters less than someone from overseas who has never had to face these difficulties, even when it causes bitterness and division in the local skating community.

Possum Glider

Rinkside
I'd like to take issue with two points: firstly that I am making trouble and second that it's time to move on.

This is a valid issue for discussion and one that should be debated. It's not about Chantelle but about the message we are sending to all Australian skaters and the future of home-grown talent. What hope is there for Australian skaters if they are treated with contempt by selectors who would prefer to parachute in any opportunistic foreign skater who isn't good enough for their own country? Australia needs to decide whether or not it is committed to its own athletes.
HTML:

I am not arguing that Brooklee's selection was unearned or illegal. But surely it was obviously neither "fair" nor "right" in the broader sense of the words or in the spirit of the Olympics. I understand that Brooklee was using whatever means she could to further her own skating career and I guess all elite athletes need a touch of selfishness. But that doesn't make it right.

Personally I would rather Australia sent no ladies skater to Sochi than someone who has no connection with the country and is Australian on paper only. The funds would have been better used bolstering our chances for an Australian to go to the next games, whoever that might be.

We have watched Dani and Greg and Brendan grow up and train here. They've been an example and inspiration to young skaters. They have struggled with insufficient ice, limited coaching resources and lack of international competition. Yet they made it to Sochi and we can be rightly proud of them.

Yet we continue to value our own skaters less than someone from overseas who has never had to face these difficulties, even when it causes bitterness and division in the local skating community.

Get over it, it has happened in the past and will happen again.
Face it, Chantelle isn't as good as Brooklee and while she trains with her mother in Australia nothing will change for her. Right now she needs time off to recover from the injuries she is carrying then go overseas to train.

I'm hoping in the next little while to see Jono return to Australia to get his partner qualified so someone can step up and take over from Dani And Greg when they step down.

Last edited by a moderator:

GF2445

Record Breaker

Unfortunately the AOC will not increase funding to winter sports so we will be in for another hard olympic cycle. If skating is to,get more funding in future, we need a person to perform at the top level and show that skating is a sport worth investing in.

I wish all the best for all skaters and it is unfortunate that we are in a situation like this where there is tension between local skaters and other skaters who use their families nationality to represent. In saying that, Brooklee has received so much support from people. If you look atthe AOC fan wall you will see alot of people wishing her well and congratulating her for her achievement.
Also, Brooklee is an incredibly hard working person. What she has achieved in her life is such an inspiration to the young generation. She shows that even when you are young you can achieve alot and alot she has achieved. She seems incredibly humble and is thankful that Ice Skating Australia has even given her this opportunity to compete for Australia. I doubt she is sitting on her hands and doing nothing and acting privileged. I am sure that she will continue to work hard to represent Australia, and her skating club, IceHouse in Melbourne.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm really frustrated that Australia's national broadcaster for the Olympics has not released a replay of the Ladies' Free Skate yet!! I want to see what happened in the FS but I can't and the IOC is doing a great job at blocking everything!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm really frustrated that Australia's national broadcaster for the Olympics has not released a replay of the Ladies' Free Skate yet!! I want to see what happened in the FS but I can't and the IOC is doing a great job at blocking everything!

You are very unlucky - they replayed it on TV during the day yesterday and then last night about 10pm.

GF2445

Record Breaker
2014 Junior Worlds and 2014 Worlds Roster for Australia has been released

http://www.isa.org.au/images/Docume...ication No 13 Selections to Championships.pdf

*Both Brooklee Han and Chantelle Kerry elected to not take part in the 2014 Junior World Figure Skating Championships so second substitute Kailani Craine will be competing in the Junior Ladies' Event.
Eliza Smyth and Jordan Dodds need to meet the Minimum TCS at the 2014 Challenge Cup in the Netherlands to be able to compete.