Australian figure skaters | Page 105 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

Tulipstar

Medalist
It's really nice and refreshing to see a competition in Australia. I like the enthusiasm of the crowd and it reminded me of the amazing audience of the Sydney Olympics.

Only problem is the time difference of course, but I can catch up watching on the weekend. Have only watched (most of) the women's SP. Amelia Scarlett Jackson stood out to me.

Hope to see more Australian competitors in future international competitions:agree:

Boniboy

Rinkside
Huh ?? I don't have siblings ?

You're the one who said Amelia could do clean 3S ?? So where was it. She could have been in 7th if she had done it. I don't come all the way to Brisbane to watch our girls play it safe and do doubles. Sure all of our girls were kinda clean, but their program content is so simple and has been basically same for 3 years. And I think it's safe to say that this was a fairly easy JGP compared to some. Think about where Kailani could have placed if she decided to do junior. She'd be 4th or 5th.

Our men were far more impressive. James trying triple axel, darian trying triple-triple, even Giuseppe did 3S. Why are our junior ladies so far behind the standard.

Nice try but we all know you live in Brisbane and you watch her train nearly every day - she skated beautifully yesterday - can't you just give her that once - she did clean 3s last year at JGP Tallin and scored lower - it was a safe and smart move that paid off. I hope she has a great LP.

As for it being an easy JGP - the top girls are probably the best in the world and include a US junior champion, a couple with 3a and a Russian with a quad ???

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Nice try but we all know you live in Brisbane and you watch her train nearly every day - she skated beautifully yesterday - can't you just give her that once - she did clean 3s last year at JGP Tallin and scored lower - it was a safe and smart move that paid off. I hope she has a great LP.

As for it being an easy JGP - the top girls are probably the best in the world and include a US junior champion, a couple with 3a and a Russian with a quad ???

Yes she did skate well, ill give her that. But she did skate a very simple program that she has done for almost 3 years. I would expect her to skate that clean. Maybe she'll try one or two in the free. Everyone else in her group will be, she will look weak if she doesn't.

With it being a easier jgp, all i mean is that it's very rare to see someone with no triples make the top ten.

P.s. I live Sydney. Coach at Canterbury and Macquarie. I saw Amelia at Hollins. (We've had this conversation before, but your source of information is incorrect)

Boniboy

Rinkside
Yes she did skate well, ill give her that. But she did skate a very simple program that she has done for almost 3 years. I would expect her to skate that clean. Maybe she'll try one or two in the free. Everyone else in her group will be, she will look weak if she doesn't.

With it being a easier jgp, all i mean is that it's very rare to see someone with no triples make the top ten.

P.s. I live Sydney. Coach at Canterbury and Macquarie. I saw Amelia at Hollins. (We've had this conversation before, but your source of information is incorrect)

You are really incredible - you claim to know so much about her skating but don't realise that she had triple sal in her program all of last season. Frankly it's kind of weird that you and your cronies are hell bent on proving how bad she is

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
What I mean is she probably did the exact same program content than she did 3 years ago.
I only know what I see. And I saw a watered down program.
I don't think Amelia is bad, nor have I ever said that. Just disappointed none of our girls did triples.

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
The cat is out of the bag.

ISA and ISV are working towards bidding for a future Four Continents event, to be potentially hosted at the O'Brien Group Arena in Melbourne.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The cat is out of the bag.

ISA and ISV are working towards bidding for a future Four Continents event, to be potentially hosted at the O'Brien Group Arena in Melbourne.

YAY That would be amazing!

Is O'Brien Group Arena big enough, though? There's not really that many seats there...

GF2445

Record Breaker
YAY That would be amazing!

Is O'Brien Group Arena big enough, though? There's not really that many seats there...

Sounds great would totally go, but yeah, isnt it only around 1,000 seats in the main rink?
I mean, it will be perfect for a small skating nation like ours- its managable. I prefer a small rink filled than a large rink half filled.
Also, the fact that there are 2 sheets of ice makes it perfect for organisers.
It could be seen as the first step towards maybe garnering enough interest so that in future they will be able to hold events in larger arenas.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sounds great would totally go, but yeah, isnt it only around 1,000 seats in the main rink?
I mean, it will be perfect for a small skating nation like ours- its managable. I prefer a small rink filled than a large rink half filled.
Also, the fact that there are 2 sheets of ice makes it perfect for organisers.
It could be seen as the first step towards maybe garnering enough interest so that in future they will be able to hold events in larger arenas.

The problem: let's say when we get it someone like Uno is still skating. 1000 seats + a big name Japanese + only an 8 hour flight from Japan? That's a recipe for a disaster. And by disaster I mean the tickets selling out way too fast and Aussie fans missing out.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The problem: let's say when we get it someone like Uno is still skating. 1000 seats + a big name Japanese + only an 8 hour flight from Japan? That's a recipe for a disaster. And by disaster I mean the tickets selling out way too fast and Aussie fans missing out.

Obrien arena would be a great practice arena.
Is there an arena in Melbourne suitable. We dont want anything too massive, but more than 1000. Also, why do they say the capacity is 6,500. How did they come to that number????
I mean Rod Laver Arena might be too ambitious for us...Margaret Court of Hisense would be suitable

snsd

On the Ice
Yeah O'brien Arena is way too small to host but could be a practice rink. However Etihad stadium is way too big and all other arenas are a little far away.
If Australia really wants to host it should be Brisbane. Boondall rink and then the Entertainment Center down the road.
But unless ISA has the money to hire a stadium and put in an ice floor for a week, I doubt this would happen.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Damn, this thread is catty...are we trying to do away with the whole "laid back Aussie" stereotype thing? (Shoulda wrote "layback"! ;) ).

I can't contribute much re competition venues, although Rod Laver Arena was turned into a swimming pool for '07 worlds if I recall correctly, surely that could be converted into an ice arena for a meet...
Do we have many decent training venues here? It seems everyone prolific that I can remember (like, Joanne Carter '98 onwards) all train in NSW, when they're not in America, of course. I know some states have battles every few years to keep their one full-sized rink open, and they would definitely not be up to competition standard.

Bianca Del Rio

Rinkside
Well she almost got that 4S clean. Maybe next time

Our girls did ok. No spectacular skates but no disasters. So I guess that's good. Our girls just need to get those triples. It's disappointing that we are one of the countries that sends some junior ladies overseas without triples or even double axel. We need to have higher standards so that skaters will work harder to get to these events.