Australian figure skaters | Page 112 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The "infamous Canadian guy" is David Pelletier, and he has a very pronounced French accent. That was definitely not him in the video. David does not do commentary for every competition, but does a few each year. He's very opinionated, and I think I'd get tired of him if he commented all the time, but he is also very knowledgable and offers insights that other commentators don't. for instance, do you know which partner calls out the rotations on the pairs spin, and why? If you listened to David, you'd know.

(Answer: it's the weaker spinner of the two who does the calls. The partner who is a stronger spinner is then adjusts to keep in sync. Sometimes it's the male partner, sometimes the female who does the calling, depending on the pair.)

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Any thoughts on how Team Australia will do in PyeongChang?

Hopefully the draw will favour our athletes, and that they qualify for their respective finals.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Any thoughts on how Team Australia will do in PyeongChang?

Hopefully the draw will favour our athletes, and that they qualify for their respective finals.

I expect Brendan to be top 18
Kailani- top 20
Katia/Harley- 15th would be good.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Chantelle and Andrew got the SD minimum TES for worlds. Now the Free Dance to go.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also, Chantelle and Andrew got the SD minimum TES for worlds. Now the Free Dance to go.

Chantelle and Andrew were really close to the FD minimum at 4CC. I reckon they can get it here! And then I'm pretty sure this would be the very first time since the TES minimums came in that we'll have a full Worlds team!

Pleased to see Amelia scoring over the 100 mark in Poland too! Looks like a bit of a mixed bag skate but glad she kept fighting through it!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Chantelle and Andrew just got the FD minimums (smashed through it by 8 points!)!

GF2445

Record Breaker
When was the last time Australia sent a man, lady, pair, and dance couple to a world championship together.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The correct answer is 2006 worlds in Calgary, Canada with
Sean Carlow (32nd/40)
Miriam Manzano (31st/43)
Emma Brien/Stuart Beckingham (20th/20)
Natalie Buck/Trent Nelson-Bond (28th/29)

That was twelve years ago.

figureskaterfan1

Spectator
Pleased to see Amelia scoring over the 100 mark in Poland too! Looks like a bit of a mixed bag skate but glad she kept fighting through it![/QUOTE]

Amelia seems to have gone straight from Iceland where she won gold in junior to Poland which seemed a very tight turnaround. She was also down for Bavaria but withdrew .

Nice to see Katie Pasfield also picked up a silver in senior at RIG.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When was the last time Australia sent a man, lady, pair, and dance couple to a world championship together.

And never since the introduction of the TES minimums.

Amelia seems to have gone straight from Iceland where she won gold in junior to Poland which seemed a very tight turnaround. She was also down for Bavaria but withdrew .

Nice to see Katie Pasfield also picked up a silver in senior at RIG.

WHEEEEEEEEEE! LOOK AT OUR SKATERS GO! :hap93: :hap93: :hap93: *falls over backwards tossing green and gold streamers and giggling in glee*

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Best of luck for not only our Aussie skaters but for the whole team!!! AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!! OI OI OI!!! 🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🥇🥈🥉🎿🏂

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How are y’all watching the skating so far? Anyone having any luck with the 7 Olympics app?

Yeah, I watched the team event streamed from my computer - 7 seems to have about four or five free streams on their olympicson7.seven.com.au site. It was pretty buggy though. I was able to run it in Chrome and cast it to my TV, but it had to be on the lowest resolution to work properly and I couldn't do anything else or it would break.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Yeah, I watched the team event streamed from my computer - 7 seems to have about four or five free streams on their olympicson7.seven.com.au site. It was pretty buggy though. I was able to run it in Chrome and cast it to my TV, but it had to be on the lowest resolution to work properly and I couldn't do anything else or it would break.

Oh jeez 😣 I’ve given up and have just started watching the Russian feeds instead.
Honestly though, to think that back in ‘98 the TV guides would spell out what event would be on at what time so we could tape stuff (on the one & only channel), and twenty years on we have three of the 7 channels showing the likes of Harry’s Practice replays (which probably were shot circa ‘98) while 7 skips the live action in favour of the riveting footage of people staring at the snow at the cancelled venues....how did we get here??
First world country, yeah right!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh jeez 😣 I’ve given up and have just started watching the Russian feeds instead.
Honestly though, to think that back in ‘98 the TV guides would spell out what event would be on at what time so we could tape stuff (on the one & only channel), and twenty years on we have three of the 7 channels showing the likes of Harry’s Practice replays (which probably were shot circa ‘98) while 7 skips the live action in favour of the riveting footage of people staring at the snow at the cancelled venues....how did we get here??
First world country, yeah right!

This is certainly not what the creators of the anti-siphoning list had in mind.

Sochi was done perfectly. Ten had it on two of its channels and they had like six streams on their site as well. AND they shared the rights with Foxtel who offered an Olympic package of about eight dedicated channels to its customers. That's how you're supposed to share the rights, people.

elle_e

On the Ice
How are y’all watching the skating so far? Anyone having any luck with the 7 Olympics app?

I've found it only works well with a good internet connection. At home my download speeds are too slow to even load the ads, but at work it streams in HQ with no problem!

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
This is certainly not what the creators of the anti-siphoning list had in mind.

Sochi was done perfectly. Ten had it on two of its channels and they had like six streams on their site as well. AND they shared the rights with Foxtel who offered an Olympic package of about eight dedicated channels to its customers. That's how you're supposed to share the rights, people.

YES!!! Omg, yes. I remember watching the entire ladies LP without even the slightest fear of a cut away to curling. Admittedly it was a case of pulling an all-nighter, but I’ll take that over having to learn Russian in order to watch streams on my phone anyday!!

And then writers have the nerve to publish the “why are we only now getting an Indigenous Winter Olympian” articles. Well s**t guys, maybe because no one in this country knows what ice skating is, because Y’ALL AIN’T EVEN SHOWING IT ON TV!!! 😡😠😡

Annnnd back to Russian steams I go lol

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I've found it only works well with a good internet connection. At home my download speeds are too slow to even load the ads, but at work it streams in HQ with no problem!

Oh same, I had it perfectly for the last two groups of pairs today, but nothing playable before that, even though I hadn’t even changed rooms. Might’ve been a weird reception thing. Which sucked ‘cause Harley & Katia were missed, but I was thrilled to finally get it working!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ALERT!

SBS JUST ANNOUNCED THEY WILL BE STREAMING WORLDS!

:yay: :yay:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ALERT!

SBS JUST ANNOUNCED THEY WILL BE STREAMING WORLDS!

:yay: :yay:

Yaaaassss! :biggrin:

I know they did it last year as well, and it was awesome! :yahoo: This is great news for all Aussie fans of ice skating!