Australian figure skaters | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Chantelle.
She had a tough year last season so to see her have a good skate is very encouraging.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Very Well done James Min!!!!

Breaks 40 points for his first EVER short program at an ISU event!!

GF2445

Record Breaker
All the best for Brooklee who will be skating her SP at the 2014 US International Figure Skatinbg Classic very soon :)

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
All the best for Brooklee who will be skating her SP at the 2014 US International Figure Skatinbg Classic very soon :)

I am anxious to see the protocols, I can't believe they put her in 5th behind Untalan. :unsure:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee had some jumping errors. But i looked at the protocols, the judges were not giving her the GOE's for the spins (she should be getting more +2 for the spins) as well as the components.

So it will be 8th place for her for now but i hope she will bounce back in the free skater- also since its her first big performance this season after a long olympic season, i will be patient.

This is going to be a great season.

Short dance starts in a couple of hours- all the best for william and matilda.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Good job for Matilda and William. They completed all their elements and they gave it their best.

GF2445

Record Breaker
2014-2015 Competition Results

Results for 2014 US International Figure Skating Classic

Ladies
--->Brooklee Han: 132.64---> 6th/13 Skaters

Results for ISU JGP Aichi

Junior Men
--->James Min: 129.29---> 16th/22 Skaters

Junior Ladies
--->Chantelle Kerry: 97.46---> 19th/27 Skaters

Junior Ice Dance
--->Matilda Friend & William Badaoui: 71.15---> 12th/12 Couples

GF2445

Record Breaker
James Min had a great skate. A very solid free skate score but there are things defintely he can work on to polish things up. He also got himself a cheer squad and all those Japanese mums in the audience... :)

Anyway. JGP Estonia wont start until the week after next, but next week we have a largish Aussie contingent going to compete in Milan for the Lombardia Trophy, the second of 11 stops in the ISU Challenger Series.

I hope to see Brooklee's programs soon but for me, the Aussie Skater of the week goes to James Min. His Short Program for me was my favourite Performance this week from all the Aussie Skaters. I will go more into deeper analysis soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9VAwWRqSXQ

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
the Aussie Skater of the week goes to James Min. His Short Program for me was my favourite Performance this week from all the Aussie Skaters.

It was the first time I'd seen James skate, and boy, does this young man have the 'IT' factor.

He not only skated with confidence and attack, but to really interpret a demanding piece of vocal music that would challenge many skaters, I was very impressed.

I just watched Min skate his free program. He really performed to that music. I can't believe he is only 14. It is extremely rare for a male skater to be that much of an entertainer at that age.

I agree James is an absolute star and I believe he's up again at Talin along with kailani who's also always a treat to watch. It is so good to see a strong man come up.

I think that was Chantelle's last JGP before moving to senior and first steps for the dancers. I think Australia can be very excited about this generation of skaters.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The great thing about James' skating is that
1. He creates a very positive atmosphere when he performs- he engages the judges and the audience.
2. He uses his edges to create speed. This is evident in his step sequence, when he just seems to flow from one movement to the next.
3. He uses transitions for very element, instead of crossover then jump. My goodness, i was looking at his components and I thought if he is getting 5's now for compenents, im excited to see him in the future.
4. He both has a challenging program and he skates at his level which means he is not skatong something out of his league.
5. He has the 'cuteness' (i really dont like usng the word cute) factor which makes him great to watch.
6. He has 'Level Four' Arms.

He only has two weeks from now until his next assignment. For him, his main goal would be to get his minimum TCS for junior worlds. I think he has it for the short program but he was less than two points shy of the free skate minimum.
In order to do this, he will need to look at what he can do to ensure those salchows dont underrrotate or next time, work to improve his GOE for his jumps.

1. He creates a very positive atmosphere when he performs- he engages the judges and the audience.
2. He uses his edges to create speed. This is evident in his step sequence, when he just seems to flow from one movement to the next.
3. He uses transitions for very element, instead of crossover then jump. My goodness, i was looking at his components and I thought if he is getting 5's now for compenents, im excited to see him in the future.
4. He both has a challenging program and he skates at his level which means he is not skatong something out of his league.
5. He has the 'cuteness' (i really dont like usng the word cute) factor which makes him great to watch.

He only has two weeks from now until his next assignment. For him, his main goal would be to get his minimum TCS for junior worlds. I think he has it for the short program but he was less than two points shy of the free skate minimum.
In order to do this, he will need to look at what he can do to ensure those salchows dont underrrotate or next time, work to improve his GOE for his jumps.

Great analysis. What's your prediction for ladies, dance and pairs (yet to compete in Estonia so not sure how they are looking) making the benchmarks for Jr Worlds?

GF2445

Record Breaker
For JGP Estonia and others:

-James Min: (Explained Above)

-Kailani Craine: She has already met the Minimum TES for Junior Worlds so her priority would be to have two solid skates, with less jump deductions- she frequently gets under rotation and edge calls. She has the charisma and energy to carry the performance through. From the scores that she has received during the off season comps like Hollins, I think a sensible score to reach is 120 points total. In terms of the second mark, spped is always something to work on as well as finishing off movements and her extensions. Her second priority would be then to try and achieve the Minimum TCS again (when you achieve a min TES, it only lasts for the season you achieved it in and then the next season).

-Aussie Pairs just need more international exposure to get used to competing internationally and looking at the roster, they will have good opportunities this time around. Their main priority is to make the technical minimums for any of the ISU championships.

-Matilda and William had a great showing in Nagoya. They have one more JGP so something that they can do to improve in that short amount of time from now to then is to make their overall routine run smoother. They can take what they have and work on it until it flows. Technically, they just need to make sure that they do all their elements. I am not as fussed at the moment about the actual elements themselves. If they stick together and keep working on it season by season, the elements will improve. Numerically, again, try to break 30 points for the Short Dance and maybe 45 points for the Free Dance (that will mean that their diagonal step sequence needs to be recognised- maybe change it to a midline sequence?)

For JGP Estonia and others:

-James Min: (Explained Above)
-Kailani Craine: She has already met the Minimum TCS for Junior Worlds so her priority would be to have two solid skates, with less jump deductions- she frequently gets under rotation and edge calls. She has the charisma and energy to carry the performance through and from the scores that she has received during the off season comps like Hollins, I think a sensible score to reach is 120 points total. Her second priority would be then to try and achieve the Minimum TCS again (when you achieve a min TCS, it only lasts for the season you achieved it in and then the next season).
-Aussie Pairs just need more international exposure to get used to competing internationally and looking at the roster, they will have good opportunities this time around.
-Matilda and William had a great showing in Nagoya. They have one more JGP so something that they can do to improve in that short amount of time from now to then is to make their overall routine run smoother. They can take what they have and work it until it flows. Technically, they just need to make sure that they do all their elements. I am not as fussed at the moment about the actual elements themselves. If they stick together and keep working on it season by season, the elements will improve. Numerically, again, try to break 30 points for the Short Dance and maybe 45 points for the Free Dance (that will mean that their diagonal step sequence needs to be recognized- maybe change it to a midline sequence?)

Thank you GF2445 :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker

I hadn't seen him until this JGP, but I'm now a fan and I will look out for him in the upcoming competition.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I saw James Min at SKDU last year and he was wonderful. He reminded me a little of Jason. Great extensions, posture, and line, but more than that, he's already a showman, he projects to the audience. He really animates his programs.

Oh, by the way, it's TES, not TCS. Sorry, that was just bugging me.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It seems that our Aussie Champion has got quite a few tricks up his sleeve....

Watch the finale of the Michael Weiss Charity Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iiZcAxw3hY

At 0:55 and 1:55 Five People doing a backflip in sync

At 3:44 in the video: Who needs a partner to do a twist, when you can do it yourself? ;)

All the best Brendan at Lombardia Trophy this weekend.

Remember to follow Brendan on Twitter and Webstagram
https://twitter.com/Br3ndan_
http://websta.me/n/br3ndan_

From Ice Network Report:
Michael Weiss, a three-time U.S. champion, two-time world bronze medalist and two-time Olympian, was excited to be hosting his scholarship benefit show for the 10th year. As part of the celebration of organizing the show for a decade, he wanted to set a Guinness world record. He was going to perform his trademark backflip along with four fellow skaters at the same time in an attempt to make it into the famed Guinness Book of World Records.
Alas, two weeks ago, Weiss felt his back stiffen up and he began to fret that the world record was not going to happen. As late as the night before the show, he was telling close friend Brian Boitano that he still wanted to perform a solo number and the backflip.
"Even last night he was trying to convince himself he could still skate, and I told him, 'It's OK. I know you want to do this, but honestly, it's OK," Boitano said. "He is just such a good guy and he wants to do everything. He wants to be involved with his children's lives, and he wants to give back and do things like this, and he wants to skate. Sometimes, you just get overwhelmed."
Weiss told the crowd he had good news and bad news before he was supposed to skate. He delivered the bad news first, saying he wasn't going to perform. Then he joined Dan Hollander, Ryan Bradley, Ricky Dornbush and Australian Olympian Brendan Kerry, and the five skaters performed five backflips in unison. Just to make sure all was kosher for the record books, they went out (Weiss included) and did it again.
Guinness Book of World Records officials were not in attendance, Weiss said, but they had video taken for the record-book group. Weiss said it will take about 12 weeks to find out if the five-man effort will make written history.
"Our own video and witnesses are acceptable to them and their process," Weiss told icenetwork. "I am very confident it will be accepted."
Dornbush had spoken with Weiss about a backflip record, and Weiss said he needed a fifth skater to make it happen. Dornbush, who trains alongside Kerry with coach Tammy Gambill in Southern California, quickly fired off a text to his Australian mate about participating.
"Ricky and I practiced them back home, but I had never had anyone in front of me doing a backflip so this was different," Kerry said. "I told myself, 'I can't be the guy who misses it.'"
Adding to the pressure was that, aside from a mall ice show performance in Australia, Kerry said he never skated in an ice show until he was invited to skate in this one in Maryland.
"I think it's awesome," Kerry said. "And I think what Michael's doing in giving back to skating is great. I'd like to see something like this done back in Australia."
"I can't even explain how amazing it is to do this show," said Dornbush, himself a scholarship recipient. "A lot of people talk a big game about giving back but Michael really does it. Skating is so expensive and so difficult that it obviously takes a lot."
Not only did Weiss have Dornbush in the show for the fourth time, he also helped him and Kerry get some extra ice time in the greater Washington area. The two are headed to Italy on Wednesday to compete in the Lombardia Trophy in Milan from Sept. 18-21 and did not want to fly back to the West Coast before heading off to Europe.
Fans who attended the show also witnessed what is believed to be another first: chicken nuggets and French fries on ice. Dornbush and Kerry created a comedic routine that had Kerry pining for a bag of McDonald's fast food. Initially, the plan was to have a bag of napkins inside, but the bag was filled with nuggets and fries that spilled out onto the ice.
"I've never seen that before," Weiss said.