Australian figure skaters | Page 46 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
Excuse me while I run around in hyperexcited circles that Brooklee has two assignments!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Has this ever happened before? Two assignments for an Australian? Time to do some research.

Check to see if Miriam, Joanne or Anthony got 2 assignments.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well done Brooklee for going for the triple lutz in the short unstead for the triple toeloop. Unfortunately she is currently in last place. I hope she can make up some ground in the free skate. Its a lovely program.

GF2445

Record Breaker
#brookleewuzrobbed

I can understand why it happened. Unknown skater from nowhere rocks up at a Grand Prix. Judges sees that she is not from a traditional skating nation...already thinking about giving 5's in components.

to be honest, she got a tough but fair mark. It's hard for me to say this but unlike ISU championships where is a large field and Brooklee can fit in nicely, at a competition where you are with the big guns, it was easier to see what qualities she is lacking in comparison to Gracie, Elizaveta and Elena. Sad reality but good for her that she got that 3Lz out there. That's brave.

But I completely agree with the commentators that she needs the speed to make it to the next level. Also, I love her spins but she didn't get level 4's on all of them. I know she has be reusing all her spins (she did change it up in her first position in the combination 3 position spin) so maybe for her camel, if she can find another camel position/variation, that would help a lot.

Also here is a news article from Brooklee's local newspaper.
http://weston.dailyvoice.com/sports/redding-skater-glides-skate-america-ice-grand-prix-debut

GF2445

Record Breaker
Loving the Eurosport commentators loving Brooklee's Free Skate. For sure, this was the best skate I ever seen her do. EVER.

Definitely deserving of her marks.
I wonder how she is going to keep getting better?

To show that I am not all that biased, I know that she got an unclear edge call on her lutz (it's not a true outside edge just yet) and she singled the loop in the three jump combination, but overall very well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hc7gDtLnM

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For me easily one of the best laybacks in the world.

But I am going to be unashamedly biased and admit that I was almost crying at the end of my first watch of it. Her happy smile, the perfect skate, the perfect music! I can't wait for Skate Canada!

AusTechSpec

Spectator
I dont specifically know why but i can think of a few reasons.
1. Australia is his adopted country. He initially represented his home nation Slovenia.
2. He is a good skater and he has a better chance of progressing his career if he represents Slovenia as skating in Slovenia is still very much developing. Also keep in mind that Brendan is the number one mens skater at the moment in Australia.
3. It could be as simple as he is might be returning to his native country.

Thus is just speculation so if any of you know why David changed back could you please post on this page. It doesnt need to a super detailed invasive response- general explanation is fine.

David has said simply that he "always felt like he should have been representing Slovenia".....
I would wager this is a strategic move from his new coaches to get around the fact that without a 3A or 4Something he simply doesn't have the technical requirements to beat Brendan on a good day. No doubt they have their sights set on Olympics, and changing now means that they will have enough time to satisfy the ISU rules about switching nations to qualify in time as a Slovenian skater for the next Olympics.
Irks me a little that he would have taken the Australian funding available and then swapped for a better chance, but I suppose as a strategic move its probably the best thing for him.
Side note he still intends to live and train in Australia.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I distrust much of everything you say, AusTechSpec. (I have a long memory.)

But the fact does remain that David hasn't competed for us at all this season and my heart says we have lost him. And that makes me sad because he is such a lovely fantastic skater to watch.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
What AusTechSpec says is true. Definitely a strategic move to represent Slovenia as there are no top skaters from there. But no matter what he will still have to qualify a Nebelhorn trophy for olympipcs since atm he does not have the worlds score to secure a spot.

Ice Skating Australia and Queensland should be annoyed since so much funding and money went his way and now he is screwing Australia.

AusTechSpec

Spectator
Not really "screwing" Australia.... But it does seem a bit opportunistic to take advantage of funding and then decide to represent Slovenia.

can'tsk8

Rinkside
I'm not surprised at Davids move! Shame he changed coaches, the new ones may have something to do with it. I agree with sk8ingcoach and AsuTechSpec, ISA, Queensland and more importantly "Morgan Innes foundation" should be upset at him, he has had sooooo much funding, probably more than Brendan!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Whoa...Hello. Some discussion.

To be fair, David first represented Slovenia then changed to Australia, so changing back isn't so so bad.
Also to be fair, unless Brendan can hit the top 10 at worlds, David probably wouldn't of had a great chance of ever making an Olympics of Worlds for Australia.

Nevertheless, I will always support David at any competition he is in.

But I understand what everyone is feeling and saying completely. This sort of reminded me of the reaction after Australian Bobsleigh rider Chris Spring changed his allegiance to Canada to ensure a more successful career and it did. So I hope that this move back to Slovenia will be a worth while venture for him. And if one day both David and Brendan go head to head in a competition like Worlds or the Olympics, it will certainly be an exciting rivalry.

GF2445

Record Breaker
More news about Brooklee Han. All the best for her in Canada.

http://ridgefield.dailyvoice.com/sports/redding-skater-sets-new-personal-best-score-grand-prix-debut

Also, you might be surprised that at the moment, Australia's number one ladies' skater (to date) is not Brooklee but Kailani. However, Brooklee's performance is going to change this of course. However, this does not take away from the amazing job Kailani has done this year by winning the Junior Ladies' event at this year's Lombardia Trophy.
http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2014/10/28/hunter-figure-skater-on-top/

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't wait to see what she can produce in Skate Canada this week!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Just wanted to say, I was quite impressed by Brooklee Han at Skate America. Her spins were some of the fastest in the competition, and she really knows how to express the music through movement. She's not quite like Liza or Samantha, who command attention even when they stand still, but when she starts moving, the music just seems to flow from within her. Personally, I would've had her above Popova and Nagasu in the short; final standings were fair though.

Scatcat

Rinkside
If the scores from Skate America were used, Brooklee would be far above Kailani in ranking. It is wonderful that Kailani did so well at Lombardia, however, MJS scores really can not compare to International scores. It is like apples and oranges. It would be great to see the Aussie ladies work together and get more spots for themselves and ladies to come! I think these two could do just that!