Australian figure skaters | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
I wish this arguement can stop! Its giving us all a bad headache and it makes us look like loonies fighting over something like this. Nothing will be achieved through this that could result in anything constructive.

Rules of citizenship apply to all sport and not just figure skating. We dont get priveleged treatment.
I understand the concerns but if we kick her out, we will be setting a bad precedent and reputation.

We have to agree to disagree on this issue.

allylouise91

Spectator
Except that, particularly in your case, IT IS PERSONAL. You've been taking shots at Brooklee every chance you get to try and promote Chantelle. That's not the way to do it. Chantelle is very talented and will get there in her own way - and Brooklee is helping by making spots available.

Brooklee is Australian. It is not her fault that she was raised elsewhere. She is Australian, she is obviously proud to be Australian, and she does us proud on the world stage.

Is Brendan less Australian because he now trains most of the time in California? Of course not. Are Dani and Greg less Australian because they lived in Detroit? Of course not.

She mustn't be too proud if she's only been here twice for Nationals.

I have nothing against Brooklee on a personal level, but there is a big difference between moving to access training facilities in comparison to someone who has barely set foot in the country that she apparently represents. I'm sure she's a lovely girl and I know she's nice to watch but there is a correct way to do things. You don't compete for a different country because you can't make it in the country you're in. Simple!

allylouise91

Spectator
So what do you want? To see her retire, get injured....go back to where she came from?
I find it really disheartening when the pride of our nation gets in the way of the situation at had. We need a ladies skater on the scene to help pave open a way for our nation to get more opportunities

I pray that Anthony Liu did not get this attitude when he changed nationalites to Australia

I would never wish injuries on any skater and am offended that you would even imply that.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I would never wish injuries on any skater and am offended that you would even imply that.

Im just baffled! I apologise if ai sound harsh but From the vibes that i have been getting, alot of people don't want Brooklee here. Making her go through the courts to defend her eligibility as an Australian Skater sends a very strong message about certain attitudes within the Australian skating community.
And if people are not happy to see Brooklee compete at Nationals and for Australia, what do people want then? If nothing can be done, instead of complaining wouldn't it be so much better to use the situation we have to push skating in Australia to a higher level.

mels_182

Spectator
Is Brendan less Australian because he now trains most of the time in California? Of course not. Are Dani and Greg less Australian because they lived in Detroit? Of course not.

The difference is that Dani and Greg and Brendan have out-sourced coaching help after years of training in Australia because the level of coaching cant equal to that of other countries like America.

GF2445

Record Breaker
We all have a common desire. We all support Australian Figure Skating, our skating clubs, our coaches, the volunteers and the skaters. We want to see skating in Australia be pushed to the next level. Instead of blowing off meaningless hot air, can we move on with it?

I have learned alot from this discussion. It has been very meaningful. But you have to understand, i am just a simple general viewer of skating who has no ties to the skating community, who just happens to live in Australia. Everytime i tune into a choppy and fuzzy live stream, buy an icenetwrk subsciption without knowing that its geoblocked here or wake up at 2am to watch an illegal stream of skating whether is british eurosport or Latvian Tav, as a general viewer, just seeing the Aussie flag is something special. I remember getting intothe sport watching Cheltzie Lee land her 3S+2T in her 'feeling good' SP and going crazy over her 52.16points for it (yes i still remember that score). Since that point we've seen a great crop of skaters come up and i have enjoyed watching each one of them.
Like when i watch a team sport, there is always a difference between what the team/coach/club owners/club members want and what the general fans want. I am part of that general public whose desire to just see our nation being represented. It would be impossible for me to know everything that is going on and if thereis tension or concern. That was why i joined golden skate- so I as a general fan could possibly get to know more about this community.

Out of much respect, i accept that there is a tension that is divisive but i hope that whatever happens, only positive things will comeout of Australian Figure Skating in the future in ALL disciplines.

We have an ISU challenger series event with Brendan, the Dodds Brothers, Paris and Matthew to enjoy. Let's put our focus on that next. We can brng back the 'elephant in the room' issue when nationals rolls over next month. We have so much great figure skating to watch.

allylouise91

Spectator
:points::points:
I'd like to take issue with two points: firstly that I am making trouble and second that it's time to move on.

This is a valid issue for discussion and one that should be debated. It's not about Chantelle but about the message we are sending to all Australian skaters and the future of home-grown talent. What hope is there for Australian skaters if they are treated with contempt by selectors who would prefer to parachute in any opportunistic foreign skater who isn't good enough for their own country? Australia needs to decide whether or not it is committed to its own athletes.

I am not arguing that Brooklee's selection was unearned or illegal. But surely it was obviously neither "fair" nor "right" in the broader sense of the words or in the spirit of the Olympics. I understand that Brooklee was using whatever means she could to further her own skating career and I guess all elite athletes need a touch of selfishness. But that doesn't make it right.

Personally I would rather Australia sent no ladies skater to Sochi than someone who has no connection with the country and is Australian on paper only. The funds would have been better used bolstering our chances for an Australian to go to the next games, whoever that might be.

We have watched Dani and Greg and Brendan grow up and train here. They've been an example and inspiration to young skaters. They have struggled with insufficient ice, limited coaching resources and lack of international competition. Yet they made it to Sochi and we can be rightly proud of them.

Yet we continue to value our own skaters less than someone from overseas who has never had to face these difficulties, even when it causes bitterness and division in the local skating community.

:points:

Scatcat

Rinkside
Stephanie Zhang, Anthony Liu
Neither had Australian ancestry as Brooklee does, you have no problem with them, why Brooklee.
All very interesting and telling.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sure she's a lovely girl and I know she's nice to watch but there is a correct way to do things. You don't compete for a different country because you can't make it in the country you're in. Simple!

Has Brooklee ever compeated for the US? Like at the lower levels? I don't see any indication of that or that she switched cause "she didn't make it."

In any case, I have heard of much more exgregious country representation issues -- Brooklee isn't one of those cases IMO.

People have strong opinions, not looking to change em, but just wanted to say that from this outsider's point of view, I think Brooklee has been a good rep for Australia.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Hey guys,
I hope we had a very reflective Remembrance Day yesterday. We are eternally thankful for those who laid their life on the line to fight and even die so that we can live in peace today [and even talk about figure skating ;) ]. Lest We Forget.
We are also grateful for the men and women who are away from loved ones, defending the defenceless and maintaining peace in a very violent world. We Thank them for their service.

Anyway, it's time to talk about the next Competition in the inaugural ISU Challenger Series Event.
After the Volvo Cup is the Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria.
We have three men competing at this event.

Our best placing Australian I predict will be Andrew Dodds. I really enjoy his Long Program to Turnadot. If Andrew can lands all his triples, I know for certain that he will receive a score that would surprise him! If he skates clean, he could score as much as 110-120 points for the free skate.

Jordan Dodds will also be competing, as well as Mark Webster who the last week in Latvia had a very rough skate.

Last edited:

allylouise91

Spectator
Stephanie Zhang, Anthony Liu
Neither had Australian ancestry as Brooklee does, you have no problem with them, why Brooklee.
All very interesting and telling.

I haven't mentioned them because they aren't as current, but yes I do have a problem with them representing us and not their own country.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I hope Chantelle is in good health. I heard rumours that she was moving to seniors after the Grand Prix in Aichi, Japan. She has a lovely short program. I saw that she was not on the senior ladies list and she withdrew from the Merano Cup this year.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I haven't mentioned them because they aren't as current, but yes I do have a problem with them representing us and not their own country.
Well Stephanie though retired is an Australian citizen now and Anthony is now a coach in California. He actually used to be the head coach at lake arrowhead before it closed down, so he is giving back to the skating community now. He used to coach Machida and see how great Machida is now!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In more important news, who is going to win Best Dressed Aussie? Everyone always looks so impeccably presented. I love it.

I had two favourites last year: Jordan's burgundy velvet coat and Mark's blue-and-black waistcoat. Fabulous costuming. One of the Dodds boys - I think it was Jordan - also had a black onesie with slashes of purple which was very effective.

GF2445

Record Breaker
In more important news, who is going to win Best Dressed Aussie? Everyone always looks so impeccably presented. I love it.

I had two favourites last year: Jordan's burgundy velvet coat and Mark's blue-and-black waistcoat. Fabulous costuming. One of the Dodds boys - I think it was Jordan - also had a black onesie with slashes of purple which was very effective.

Im still a bit erked by the onesie. Dont know why. Costuming is something that i dont really notice unless its hideous or its beyond fantastic. Maybe because im a guy and i dont focus on things like clothing as much...or do I? ;)

Scatcat

Rinkside
Congrats to Mark Webster, got his 3axel in the short and the TES for 4 Conts! Best of luck in the long!!:cheer2:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Congrats to Mark Webster, got his 3axel in the short and the TES for 4 Conts! Best of luck in the long!!:cheer2:

:thumbsup:
Just saw both his short and free.
Well done, much improved.
The Ice Challenge website has not updated the protocols but I think Mark finishes in 9th place.

I can confirm that Mark finished 9th on 145.94
Andrew 118.03
Jordan 111.40

Also, when did Mark Webster get married? His wife made his costume for the Free Skate.

Last edited: