Australian figure skaters | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The official channel for the Nestle Cup has put up some videos! Sadly a few of them are scrambled and mislabeled, but here's what I've found so far:

Brendan SP (labelled as Kailani SP)

Brendan LP

Kailani LP

Still trying to locate Kailani's SP.

Those quads from Brendan! My gosh! There are men competing at US Nats next week who'd love to jump like that! :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brooklee or Kailani<<<<Whoever performs better at Four Continents will probably receive the spot.

I'd disagree with this. I hope they send Brooklee to Worlds and Kailani to Junior Worlds. No need to have them distracted by the pressure of "who will get the Worlds spot?" when Kailani is still Junior age-eligible and lightyears ahead of our other Junior ladies. She could place really well there, which would help our Junior ladies next year, and if Brooklee can do really well at Worlds, then we can send them both next year.

As to the 4CCs team, I'm a little confused. Where's Cameron Hemmert? Why wasn't he sent out to get the TES minimums? He'd be more than capable of it, and we're robbing the world of a great little skater. Never object to more Andrew Dodds though.

AusTechSpec

Spectator
Cameron, as per Nationals results can only do Loop, Toe and Sal. At this point I do not think he would be capable of achieving TES minimums. Quite hard without a triple triple combination or lutz.

I agree Kailani has lots of time to mature as a skater and should be taking all the opportunities that being junior age eligible provides her. She has so much potential.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Cameron, as per Nationals results can only do Loop, Toe and Sal. At this point I do not think he would be capable of achieving TES minimums. Quite hard without a triple triple combination or lutz.

I agree Kailani has lots of time to mature as a skater and should be taking all the opportunities that being junior age eligible provides her. She has so much potential.

I really enjoy Kailani's Free Skate, as well as her tenacity in her jumps.
She has that killer instinct to be a great skater. Once she refines her jumping technique even more, she will make another leap up.

As for Cameron, I hope he will be able to get his TES minimums. A triple triple or a a lutz or a flip can really help him achieve that.

Last edited:
The official channel for the Nestle Cup has put up some videos! Sadly a few of them are scrambled and mislabeled, but here's what I've found so far:

Brendan SP (labelled as Kailani SP)

Brendan LP

Kailani LP

Still trying to locate Kailani's SP.

Those quads from Brendan! My gosh! There are men competing at US Nats next week who'd love to jump like that! :love:

Thanks for these links! Any luck finding the dance teams? Would like to see how they are shaping up.

Kailani is a true rising star.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Free Dances

18 Emily PIKE / Patrick ADDERLEY AUS 50.03 26.33 23.70 3.92 3.67 4.08 4.17 3.92 0.00 #4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Do886TDv8M

20 Matilda FRIEND / William BADAOUI AUS 48.00 25.70 22.30 3.67 3.42 3.92 3.75 3.83 0.00 #3
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vdsq3nL-TLA

Short Dances

19 Emily PIKE / Patrick ADDERLEY AUS 31.27 14.81 16.46 4.17 4.00 4.25 4.08 4.08 0.00 #7
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=118aSUe_uVA

20 Matilda FRIEND / William BADAOUI AUS 29.55 14.87 14.68 3.67 3.50 3.75 3.75 3.67 0.00 #11
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ZT_VRhat8

AusTechSpec

Spectator
Interesting to see the differences in marks in the dancers. Matilda and William had a huge point difference compared to Emily and Patrick at Nationals. Makes me wonder, did Emily and Patrick improve significantly in the short time since then, or is there something wrong with the way we judged the two teams at Nationals? Thoughts?

Scatcat

Rinkside
Interesting to see the differences in marks in the dancers. Matilda and William had a huge point difference compared to Emily and Patrick at Nationals. Makes me wonder, did Emily and Patrick improve significantly in the short time since then, or is there something wrong with the way we judged the two teams at Nationals? Thoughts?
Oh Please, so many skaters score differently once off the "Island"! It is just how it is.

Oh Please, so many skaters score differently once off the "Island"! It is just how it is.

It's probably a fair question because the discrepancy was so big. But you'd have to review video from both teams at both events to know if it was anything more than a big improvement by one team or a bad skate by the other or a combination of both.

GF2445

Record Breaker
You also need to consider that they were ranked quite low down in a small competition with less judges. The scoring system when there are less judges changes everything.

To me, they both dance teams are pretty much at the same level. In saying that, as hard for me to say, until a miracle happens to Australian Ice Dance, our couples will have to travel away if they want to move up in the standings, like Detroit.
For now, we need to just let the teams continue to improve and become more confident in their skating skills, edgework, timing, choreographing, chemistry and unison. And they are improving quite well actually.

What's interesting is that both teams are new. Patrick will have to move to senior this year because of his age and perhaps will find a senior partner elsewhere. Matilda and William are still at the beginning of their junior careers and I believe are being coached by a British coach who had success with getting Spain up in the rankings. Personally I would like to see them achieve a good standing without having to leave the country. That would be a real achievement.
Look at Kailani, she has not yet relocated overseas and is doing magnificently.

can'tsk8

Rinkside
I'm fairly sure Kailani trains pretty much full time in USA and has done so for quite a while

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
My goodness. Brendan can do three triple axels in sequence. Can do a 3A+3T with hands up on the 3T.

He better jump well in at four continents because that is what he is hinging on.

http://websta.me/n/br3ndan_?lang=en

Also, its nice to revive this thread.

Good luck to Jaimee Nobbs who is competing in the ladies event at the Universiade today and a belated congratulation to Majestic Ice Junior at the Mozart Cup

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow, fantastic!

I love how deeply he gets into his landing knee. It makes his landings much more secure and means he can save jumps other skaters might have fallen on, but I think it does affect his combos sometimes. Really hope he sticks everything at 4CCs, he's fantastic when he's on.

Andrew is also a really elegant jumper and I can't wait to see him in action again.