Australian figure skaters | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
If David can improve on his placement and finish fourth, Australia will get a better score for the 2013-14 grand prix scoring category. Each nation can only provide one score for each of the two categories (the two categories being 2013 Championships and 2013-14 Grand Prix) per discipline. I dont think that this Olympics is our turn to do this but provided that Dani and Greg stay on to 2018 and the current singles skaters keep improving, maybe the team event in pyongchang is possible.

Also, a big well done David for finishing in 5th place after a very tight short program. The podium spots are fixed but there are about 6 or 7 skaters I see who are looking forthat 4th place and valuable ranking points.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Some Congratulations are in order.

A big congratulations to Chantelle Kerry for her 8th place finish as the Ondrej Nepela Triphy in Bratislava, Slovakia. With compoents breaking the 5s and improved jumps she rned 81.71 points in the free skate and 127.52 overall. Well done.

All the best of luck tonight for Brooklee Han who sitting in 11th place in the Junior Ladies at JGP Czech Republic and David Kranjec who is currently 5th in the Junior Mens' event.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Before we get into tonights events in the Czech Republic, I just want to put out some general skating questions which would make for interesting discussion.

Should the concept of anonymous judging be eliminated completely? Should Judges have their own union independant of the ISU?

Should the ISU appoint separate presidents for figure and speed skating? How has the fact that a figure skater has not led the ISU since the 1980s affected skating?

Does the benefit of having a total points system (IJS) outweigh the disadvantages of a factored placement system (6.0)?

And to bring it home to Australia- which system benefits skaters from lower ranked nations better?
Even though the IJS system improved the quality of skating over the last 8 years, Australia had some outstanding skaters in the late 80s to 90s who were securely placed in strong positions due to gaining a reputation with judges (Cameron Medhurst, Stephen Carr (in singles and pairs), Joanne Carter, Anthony Liu) and when. Furthermore, Australia had particular trouble to break through in the early years of the IJS system.

According to an interview that TSL posted (the lost interviews), it was an Australian ISU delegate who asked Cinquanta at the Congress in Kyoto in 2002/2003 for clarification whether the IJS system was a rule or a project. Cinquanta scorned that delegate publically in congress, insisting that IJS was a project but a few months later, to the shock of many it became a rule. Should Cinquanta apologise for this? Fast forward to the 2013- Ottavio Cinquanta wasnt present for any of the major championships- how much does he care about the state of figure skating which he put into?

For your interest, the letter that the then head of Ice Skating Australia sent to the ISU in 2003 can be found in the link here- http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/articles/isia-protest-letter.shtml

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ok. The Junior Ladies' Free Skate event has begun.
Brooklee will be skating eighteenth im the fourth group.

Tonight she will be skating to music from the 2007 Taiwanese film 'Secret.' It's absolutely beautiful music to listen to.
She is currently in 11th place and is looking forward to moving up.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee's warm up group is next. Fingers crossed for Brooklee. A top 10 result will help her get some much needed ranking points.

If she can get those points, it will help her alot if she wishes to compete after Sochi as it will increase her chances of getting a Grand Prix Spot in future seasons- and that will be extremely valuable if Australia can get a hold of a Grand Prix Spot!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee is on now. She needs an official seasons best to take the lead but with an unofficial PB of 98+ points, its possible.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee earned a score of 88.36pts for an official seasons best. She wasn't solid today, faltering on a couple of her jumps. It definitely looks like that she needs to get back to her training base and rejuvenate and do some solid training instead of travelling.

She earned a total score of 135.45 to finish 11th overall. Unfortunately, this means that she won't get any points for this assignment to help her world ranking. Nonetheless, well done Brooklee!

Okay, moving onto the other event- David Kranjec is lying in 5th place and will be skating last in this event. His music is Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain. His PB in the Free Skate is 99.05.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Brooklee earned a score of 88.36pts for an official seasons best. She wasn't solid today, faltering on a couple of her jumps. It definitely looks like that she needs to get back to her training base and rejuvenate and do some solid training instead of travelling.

She earned a total score of 135.45 to finish 11th overall. Unfortunately, this means that she won't get any points for this assignment to help her world ranking. Nonetheless, well done Brooklee!

Okay, moving onto the other event- David Kranjec is lying in 5th place and will be skating last in this event. His music is Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain. His PB in the Free Skate is 99.05.

Actually I believe her scores at Nebelhorn count toward ISU PBs because the event is the Olympic qualifier.

I think Brooklee needs not feel bad about her performance this weekend. She really brought it last weekend; I think it's tough to peak again in just one week!

lcd

Match Penalty
Agreed. Very difficult to compete back to back. I would expect her priority was Nebelhorn

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*sighs* Oh David. :(

12th in the LP and 10th overall. He must be so disappointed.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Bad Luck David- at leas the top10 finish means points for is world ranking. Overall, a solid job from team Australia this weekend. Now there is one more JGP to go where Chantelle and Brendan will be competing at JGP Estonia.

Australia has done well buti think its time for the team return to training base and bunker down before the next competition.

GF2445

Record Breaker

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee Han 11th in Junior Grand Prix

"FIGURE SKATING: Just days after her outstanding performance in Oberstdorf to qualify for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics, Brooklee Han is back on the ice, competing in the Junior Grand Prix in Ostrava, Czech Republic.

The 18-year-old was sitting in 11th position after the short program of the ladies' individual, earning 47.09 for her efforts. Han was not able to replicate her personal best performance of 48.74 that she scored in the Olympic Qualifying Event, although she did score a higher Technical Elements Score (TES) than in Germany, which is a promising sign for her future competitions.

Han went on to place 10th in the free skate and finish 11th overall on a final score of 135.45..."

Article Written by Alice Wheeler for the Australian Olympic Committee
Published October 6, 2013

Link to Article Below
http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/news/brooklee-han-11th-in-junior-grand-prix

GF2445

Record Breaker
Starting Orders for JGP Estonia are out. Both Chantelle and Brendan are skatkng in the 2nd group of their respected short programs. More details to come.

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks GF2445 for all the hard work and updates. Any Aussie got into Worlds and Olympics? (I don't know how the rules and numbers work). I don't tweet. But if they have FBs I am more than happy to send them my good wishes.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks GF2445 for all the hard work and updates. Any Aussie got into Worlds and Olympics? (I don't know how the rules and numbers work). I don't tweet. But if they have FBs I am more than happy to send them my good wishes.

We have one lady, one man and one dance couple for the Olympics. The same for Worlds.

Brendan Kerry, Brooklee Han and Danielle O'Brien/Gregory Merriman are our skaters!

GF2445

Record Breaker

I've done a bit of searching through facebook. None of them use facebook actively or have a fan page so here is a list of pages that you can post a message of good wishes

The Australian Olympic Team page
https://www.facebook.com/AUSOlympicTeam

Ice Skating Australia (National Federation for Figure Skating)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ice-Skating-Australia/136415049731833

Aussieskates-(If you send a message to Brooklee through this page, you might get a 'like' from her)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/aussieSKATES-Figure-Skating-Downunder/278036295924

GF2445

Record Breaker
Officially Qualified: Danielle and Greg's Blog

"With the countdown clock at 122 days to Sochi our status as 2014 Sochi ‘hopefuls’ has been officially updated to ‘qualified.’

Last week at Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf Germany, Greg and I secured our position in the Sochi 2014 Ice Dance event and will be joining the largest team of Australian figure skaters at Olympics since 1998..."

Article Written by Danielle O'Brien for the Australian Olympic Committee
Published October 10, 2013

Link to Article Below
http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/blog/officially-qualified-danielle-and-greg-s-blog

*Note that Dani and Greg will next be competing at the Volvo Cup next month in Riga, Latvia. All the best and good luck training.

From looking at their performances at Nebelhorn, they seemed to be enjoying both programs alot. What changes do you think they should make or what sections can they work on to get more points?

GF2445

Record Breaker
To Oberstdorf with a bang! Brooklee's Blog

"My trip to Oberstdorf started out with a bang!

Actually it was two bangs. On the way to the rink the morning we were due to leave for Germany, a car drifted onto our side of the road and in order to avoid the car, we pulled over to the side as far as we could and ended up popping two tyres on a rock that was sticking out.

We had to have the car put on a flat bed truck and brought to get two new tyres. By the time we got to the rink there was not much time to skate as we had to get to the airport. In order to get on the ice at all I had to go on public session ice as the freestyle time was over..."

Article written by Brooklee Han for the Australian Olympic Committee
Published October 10, 2013

Link to Article Below
http://sochi2014.olympics.com.au/blog/to-oberstdorf-with-a-bang-brooklee-s-blog

*Brooklee is now aiming to integrate more difficult elements into both her programs (maybe a lutz and a flip??). On an IJS note, it seems she can land her triple lutz safely. Even if she gets an incorrect edge call, even with the edge error she can probably get more points for that than doing a simpler triple and only getting a very small positive Grade of Execution...what do you think?