Australian figure skaters | Page 71 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think Matilda and William will be going to 4CCs.

No, it's not some big conspiracy, the reason I think this is purely from a practical standpoint. They've been doing their SD all year as a JUNIOR SD, complete with Junior pattern (Starlight Waltz I think?). All of the competition they've done has been as Juniors. At Nationals they were Juniors. Their well-entrenched SD is their Junior-required SD. I can't imagine perfecting the Ravensburger Waltz is easy even for the experienced Senior teams, but what the people calling for them to be chosen for 4CCs are asking them to do is exactly that: master the Ravensburger in less than a month, make a whole new SD with it, compete it ONCE, and then go back to the Junior SD for Junior Worlds.

They're a great young couple and I love watching them - but it is entirely impractical to send them off to 4CCs this year.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Also keep in mind that the isu made some changes to the rules. The technical minimums for senior championships, can only be achieved at senior events- and visa versa for juniors.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Also keep in mind that the isu made some changes to the rules. The technical minimums for senior championships, can only be achieved at senior events- and visa versa for juniors.

Thanks - That makes sense but it's confusing as James Min has 4CC scores achieved written in rankings that's why I thought he must be eligible

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
David KRANJEC formerly competed for Australia and still trains there. He will be skating at Europeans for Slovenia.

skaterfan2501

Rinkside
Is there a reason why Australian rankings have still not been updated since nationals but articles on certain skaters can be published and distributed almost immmediatly after lower level international competitions ?

skaterfan2501

Rinkside
Also the article fails to mention any other Australian skater present in Poland even though a large team went including the dancers who did very well in senior.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, what are you making up conspiracies about now? :rolleye:

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Is there a reason why Australian rankings have still not been updated since nationals but articles on certain skaters can be published and distributed almost immmediatly after lower level international competitions ?

Can anyone answer this question its over 6 weeks since nationals. - fair call when rankings were updated very quickly when some skaters got pbs !

GF2445

Record Breaker
Good question is why did he leave to represent Slovenia when he resides in Brisbane ?

Well, i believe that David originally was from Slovenia and actually represented Slovenia until his family moved to Australia.
Realistically, David at this time would find it difficult to break through in Australia. With one spot to worlds every year, its going to always be tight.
Even though Australia is not the most competitive skating nation, we are certainly more competitive than Slovenia.
David would have a better shot at making it to worlds and olympics if he represented Slovenia.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Well, i believe that David originally was from Slovenia and actually represented Slovenia until his family moved to Australia.
Realistically, David at this time would find it difficult to break through in Australia. With one spot to worlds every year, its going to always be tight.
Even though Australia is not the most competitive skating nation, we are certainly more competitive than Slovenia.
David would have a better shot at making it to worlds and olympics if he represented Slovenia.

He is lucky he can choose and has enjoyed benefits of scholarships and ISQ funding for years. Good luck to him!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Well in either circumstance, he isnt going to be well supported. Most of his fees will have to come from him and his team.
I can only think that scholarships and funding would only slightly offset the massive fees he has to pay.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Where is the suggestion of conspiracy - It's a relevant question isn't it.? Why don't the other skaters at Poland get a mention or is there only one in Australia now? [emoji12]

I don't even know what article you're talking about, which you know, would be helpful if you're going to start complaining about this stuff.

snsd

On the Ice
I don't even know what article you're talking about, which you know, would be helpful if you're going to start complaining about this stuff.

The OWI Article.
The reason only one skater is mentioned is because it is Belinda that does it, and she is only interested in the skater of the moment. She doesnt want to know you unless you win nationals. It used to be this way with Chantelle, but now she is the old horse and Kailani is the shiny new model)
OWI has said they are not interested in any other athletes other than the top man and lady.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But let's be fair here. What did you want her to write about? Kailani had the best result of any Australian skater there. Did you really want her to make a big fuss over how Chantelle completely failed to land a triple jump in her free skate?

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
But let's be fair here. What did you want her to write about? Kailani had the best result of any Australian skater there. Did you really want her to make a big fuss over how Chantelle completely failed to land a triple jump in her free skate?

Again you have missed the point and take things personally and have a nasty swipe at those who dare disagree with you. ISA distributed the article immediatly from OWI yet nationals results still not on rankings. Kailani only just beat Brooklee in Poland and all 3 girls results were significanty down from nationals (except Brooklee). It is really obvious to much of the skating community that Kailani is being completly favoured and pushed - both in decisions that are being made to advise her and her overexposure in the media. Whilst her results were good in Poland they were not PBs. instead of pushing one skater , ISA need to ask questions such as why we dont have a figure skater in any discipline attending the YOG but speed skating can manage to send a woman. any of the top skaters can go out at any time so a stable of good consistent skaters should be nurtured especially one that contains an ex olympian.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
The OWI Article.
The reason only one skater is mentioned is because it is Belinda that does it, and she is only interested in the skater of the moment. She doesnt want to know you unless you win nationals. It used to be this way with Chantelle, but now she is the old horse and Kailani is the shiny new model)
OWI has said they are not interested in any other athletes other than the top man and lady.

So seeing Kailani won both titles and apparently was advised to do so by OWI that explains things . Interestingly though ISU results are really still more important in senior you would hope