Boot issues | Golden Skate

Boot issues

Iskate512

Spectator
Hello. I am new to the forum and also returning back to the ice after 8 years!! (after my daughter was born..........been at home)
I had purchased SP -Teri boots JUST prior to getting pregnant and had decided to start Ice Dance.

Anyway, my boots are too small and needed a new pair. However, (I am in Phoenix) my proshop is an official dealer for Jackson boots. I had Jacksons before and hated them but was talked into them because they "are better now"....I mean after a decade on the ice. So I purchased the Premier boot.

Later I told my coach (in Texas because I didn't have one here yet..and my daughter needed me on the ice NOW etc) and she was livid. Says I should purchase Harlicks since I can afford them now and blah blah. She says I need a low back stay to point foot and was over booted.....and she also knows of my past ballroom and ballet dance experience......if that makes a difference.
Anyway I can't return my Jacksons. That is ok with me. BUT......I am still going to purchase Harlicks. How is my pro shop going to fit me if he doesn't regularly fit people in Harlicks? I am not that ambitious to travel to the manufacturing plant lol. Or wait to travel to a competition.

So my post is all over the place.........my question is...or TWO questions: Do I really need a dance boot for my bronze Dance or other levels? And what are your opinions of other brands? My feet are wide in the ball and small heel.

Why am I so intimidated to ask my pro shop to order something they don't carry????? Arg......

Thanks!!
Carrie

sarahspins

Rinkside
No, you don't "need" dance boots (or blades) for bronze dances. The choice to have them is really up to you. Jacksons really have changed a lot in the past 10 years and most coaches that react the way that yours did to even the mention that you bought Jacksons has zero experience with the newer boots and are simply making assumptions based on past experiences that have no bearing on what is offered today. I sincerely doubt that you were overbooted in the Premier. I bought a pair not too long after they came out and only wore them on the ice a few times before selling them because they just felt way too soft for me (I was already wearing the Elite Plus at the time, so I was used to a stiff boot) Are you in desperate need of boots now, or do you feel like you can manage with the Jacksons for now? Are you basing your desire to get Harlicks soon only on your former coach's reaction? If you aren't having any immediate problems with the boots, I wouldn't worry about trying to replace them right away - I would wait until someone qualified can fit you. If your pro shop doesn't regularly fit Harlicks you may not do any better going through them than you could filling out the order form (including tracings and measurements) and ordering directly from Harlick yourself.

It's too bad you didn't post this a few months ago.. Adult Nationals were held in Phoenix back in April and you could have had most of the boot makers represented there, you could have gotten a fitting from any of them.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Mostly I agree with sarah, but if your club/rink is hosting a competition in the near future, there is usually a representative from each of the companies there (even beyond Adult Nationals). Also, you didn't say, but were you previously happy in the SP Teris? If so, you may not even be a good candidate for Harlicks. I've worn Harlicks for the last several pairs of boots and prior to deciding on them, I also tried on SP Teris, Jackson, and Reidell (which were what were readily available at the time) and the Reidells and Jacksons were too sloppy (wide) and the SP Teris HURT and the fitter's comment was "well, those are definitely not your brand!"

Iskate512

Spectator
No, you don't "need" dance boots (or blades) for bronze dances. The choice to have them is really up to you. Jacksons really have changed a lot in the past 10 years and most coaches that react the way that yours did to even the mention that you bought Jacksons has zero experience with the newer boots and are simply making assumptions based on past experiences that have no bearing on what is offered today. I sincerely doubt that you were overbooted in the Premier. I bought a pair not too long after they came out and only wore them on the ice a few times before selling them because they just felt way too soft for me (I was already wearing the Elite Plus at the time, so I was used to a stiff boot) Are you in desperate need of boots now, or do you feel like you can manage with the Jacksons for now? Are you basing your desire to get Harlicks soon only on your former coach's reaction? If you aren't having any immediate problems with the boots, I wouldn't worry about trying to replace them right away - I would wait until someone qualified can fit you. If your pro shop doesn't regularly fit Harlicks you may not do any better going through them than you could filling out the order form (including tracings and measurements) and ordering directly from Harlick yourself.

It's too bad you didn't post this a few months ago.. Adult Nationals were held in Phoenix back in April and you could have had most of the boot makers represented there, you could have gotten a fitting from any of them.

Good point: about my previous coach......she is very Bias to Harlicks. I can manage in my Jacksons for now. Mainly my question was not only geared toward comfort but the illusion of "needing" a lower back stay.......thanks.

Iskate512

Spectator
Mostly I agree with sarah, but if your club/rink is hosting a competition in the near future, there is usually a representative from each of the companies there (even beyond Adult Nationals). Also, you didn't say, but were you previously happy in the SP Teris? If so, you may not even be a good candidate for Harlicks. I've worn Harlicks for the last several pairs of boots and prior to deciding on them, I also tried on SP Teris, Jackson, and Reidell (which were what were readily available at the time) and the Reidells and Jacksons were too sloppy (wide) and the SP Teris HURT and the fitter's comment was "well, those are definitely not your brand!"
I actually liked my Teri's...go figure because at the time they were made very narrow. However...I guess after having children your feet change A LOT!!!!! Not to mention i haven't skated in awhile.....maybe I was expecting too much from a new boot! lol. My daughter is beginning skating and I am teaching her basics 1-4 (I am an apprenticing so i can't PASS her) so I am not getting enough break in skating I guess. And getting my feet back under me.
Thanks guys.....I will see what happens and ask my new coach after a few months and see if they are working out. Maybe I'm just too sensitive..whaa waa lol.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I agree that if your current skates are working then stick with them. If you're just testing then dance boots are not necessary. I'm currently working on Diamond dances (sr. competitive level) for testing and I'm still in freeskate boots. With regards to the brand, find the ones that work for you. Everyone's feet are different and what works for one won't for another.

Iskate512

Spectator
I agree that if your current skates are working then stick with them. If you're just testing then dance boots are not necessary. I'm currently working on Diamond dances (sr. competitive level) for testing and I'm still in freeskate boots. With regards to the brand, find the ones that work for you. Everyone's feet are different and what works for one won't for another.
WOW!! ok......makes me feel better. Just scary changing a form entirely!! Way to go...I hope i get there someday soon. I just love to skate!!!! Thanks