Phantom Blades | Golden Skate

Phantom Blades

jennythedumbicle

Spectator
Hello, I have a question about Phantom Blades. I'm just starting on doubles and trying to get my axel consistent, but my coach wants me to get new blades, preferably Phantoms. I've heard that Phantoms have quite large toe-picks, and was wondering if they would be good for a skater just starting to work on doubles.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Phantoms are typically good for jumps. I don't personally use them but friends who do say they're great. What blades are you using now? If you're still in beginner blades, the change to a huge toe pick could be a problem as opposed to gradually stepping up. I jump up to double loop in Visions, which are kind of like baby Phantoms. I was going to upgrade to Phantoms too but decided to go with Gold Stars because my spins and turns need more help than jumps.

hanca

Record Breaker
I have Phantoms and I love them. I have never had any problems with the size of the toe picks. If you are good enough to have axel and be working on doubles, I wouldn't worry about the toe picks. It would be a different if you were a beginner skater, but at your level, no problem.

jennythedumbicle

Spectator
Thank you all for replying! :D My toepicks are rather small, although I don't know what blades I'm using at the moment (I think they're Volant blades by Eclipse) so it will probably be a huge difference in size. I've heard from a lot of people that Phantoms are amazing, but quite pricey as well. I'm also pretty worried about getting new blades because I'm just starting to get my axel consistent and don't want to lose that jump and have to start over or re-learn it.

mskater93

Record Breaker
As with any blade change, there will be an adjustment period. I've been on Phantoms for a while and have a consistent Axel, a nearly-consistent double Sal and an annoying as heck two footed double toe (working on getting the Sal more consistent, the toe solidly landed, double loop and flip) but the thing I love about my Phantoms most is the ability to nail rock solid high level spins, and high level MIF.