Mao's new SP!! | Golden Skate

Mao's new SP!!

Robeye

Final Flight
There were a lot of things that were lovely about this performance. It certainly suits her far better than the Masquerade Waltz in the previous cycle.

Her jumps were all shaky or dubious, but it's early, Mao has generally not been an early-season skater, and these were not competition conditions (lighting, etc.), so it's still too preliminary to make any serious judgments about that aspect.

Mao is going back to what she feels most comfortable with and what she does best, which, all in all, may be the right decision for her.

How beautifully she skates to the music! I hope her jumps solidify, but in all other respects, this is a lovely program. Thanks for the link!

bmelanie

On the Ice
Oh this is lovely. It reminds me of her Clair de Lune, actually, which was my favorite short of hers...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh my, gorgeous SP. Loved everything about it! GO Mao!!!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is a great SP for her! I don't think I've ever seen her so lyrical and displaying the nuances of the music so beautifully. When most SPs are something more aggressive or upbeat, it's nice to see something soft and elegant from her. If you compare it to her Masquerade Waltz, it speaks volumes as to how she's grown as a skater.

Also, while the jumps weren't perfect, it wasn't competition settings and early in the season, and the 3A looked fully rotated. :thumbsup:

cinnamon

On the Ice
To be honest, I've never been her fan, but this one I love, just suits her the music, and everything in it is good. :)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Some people might not consider this an "Olympic-caliber" program, but I don't care. It's so pretty and she is a vision performing it. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Some people might not consider this an "Olympic-caliber" program, but I don't care. It's so pretty and she is a vision performing it. :)

To me it is Olympic caliber... for Mao. I am so relieved that she didn't choose music like Bells of Moscow or Masquerade Waltz.

TheCzar

On the Ice
To me it is Olympic caliber... for Mao. I am so relieved that she didn't choose music like Bells of Moscow or Masquerade Waltz.

Definitely. I think had she chosen something heavy, it might just lower her already rising PCS scores from the judges. They seem to have rediscovered a love for her this past couple of seasons, since switching back to lighter programs. I mean, in her darkest days of dealing with jump issues, her PCS just went through the roof (relatively) and saved her. I think this sweetness will play to her advantage, not to mention, she seems to have been born to skate to Chopin. Not one of the current top ten ladies can serve up a Chopin programme and hold a candle to Mao in that respect.

I am getting more anxious to see her Rachmaninov though. It has both light and shade, and certainly a war horse. I want October to roll on already!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am getting more anxious to see her Rachmaninov though. It has both light and shade, and certainly a war horse. I want October to roll on already!

Lu Chen's skate to the piece that Mao chose for her LP is one of my all time favorite programs. It is also a great choice for Mao.

Definitely. I think had she chosen something heavy, it might just lower her already rising PCS scores from the judges. They seem to have rediscovered a love for her this past couple of seasons, since switching back to lighter programs. I mean, in her darkest days of dealing with jump issues, her PCS just went through the roof (relatively) and saved her. I think this sweetness will play to her advantage, not to mention, she seems to have been born to skate to Chopin. Not one of the current top ten ladies can serve up a Chopin programme and hold a candle to Mao in that respect.

Indeed Mao seems to have Chopin in her bones. She is so light-footed and fluid. Her arms are astonishing. Think how rare it is that a lady who can do triple axels would also have such airy musicality.

minze

Medalist
And when you compared this SP to the one she did back in 2007 you see the growth and maturity as a skater.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

It is as Olympic-caliber as any of the Olympic SP programs in recent memory.
I prefer this to Yuna's Bond SP, Shiz's Fantasy Impromptu SP, Sarah Hughes' SP, Tara's SP, Oksana's SP, and even Kristi's SP.

She's grown as an artist, and she started out very strong.

Russian girls, this is how you move your arms!

Cherryy

On the Ice
I wouldn't worry about her jumps. In fact, I was even surprised she tried the 3A in shows. Last season she started to do it in competition on 4CC, so it's way earlier now. She'll probably try it on the GP, which is good for her. I also hope she'll try a 3F-3T in the SP instead of 3F-2L, but there have been no indications she's going for it :cry:

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Oh, Mao is just magical. She positively floats on the ice and this program really highlights her strengths!