TSL's Interview with Jeff Buttle | Golden Skate

TSL's Interview with Jeff Buttle

aftertherain

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vr6_rb7iRc&t=0m39s
Jeff Buttle is one of the leading choreographers, performers and personalities in the sport today. The 2008 World Figure Skating Champion is currently leaving his mark on many of the top skaters in the world, including Patrick Chan, Yuzuru Hanyu and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. In our interview with Jeff, he discusses his relationship with David Wilson, the inspiration behind many of his memorable programs, the implications of competing and choreographing under the International Judging System and the people who have inspired him throughout the course of his career.
(That second sentence could have been written a little better.) :laugh:

He also talks briefly about David Wilson, Michelle Kwan (training with her up to the 2005-2006 season), Mao Asada, and Yuna Kim (not in relation to each other). It was an enjoyable interview to listen to. :)

samson

Medalist
Great interview! He's such an interesting person and skater. It made me go back and watch a lot of his old programs as well as some of his new show programs I haven't seen before. It's funny I remember loving him when he competed but I kind of let him drift from my memory after 2008 - I'm glad they did this interview to bring me back to his wonderful wonderful skating.

On a funny side not the opening music in his Glenn Gould tribute (The Overture from Tristan und Isolde by Wagner) was what I secretly hoped Meryl and Charlie would skate to this year. Gorgeous gorgeous music and that ina bauer with is was just wonderful.

gmyers

Record Breaker
A little too mean to Brian Joubert! Calling him crap basically. But Joubert did really say a lot about buttle breaking 10 year quad streak in worlds winners. The thinking quad had joined triple axel as necessary for men to succeed in seniors. Then all the men started stopping doing training quads. Rule changes in 2010 reversed the buttle "quads are just one jump you can abandon them no problem" message. But they didn't ask about him being the role model for the 2010 Olympics!! All but 2 or 3 of the programs in Vancouver were based on his 2008 program!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Taking the opportunity to ask for clarification on the forum policy for mentioning TSL - most threads that even announce their new interviews get locked or even removed entirely. I don't actually understand what guideline this violates and would appreciation some clarification from the mods. Thanks in advance.:)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Taking the opportunity to ask for clarification on the forum policy for mentioning TSL - most threads that even announce their new interviews get locked or even removed entirely. I don't actually understand what guideline this violates and would appreciation some clarification from the mods. Thanks in advance.:)

I think it depends on the website link posted. For example, the interview link this time (and every other time I've posted TSL vids) was YouTube, but when TSL was going through that period of Vimeo on their own website (something about unsupported websites), the GS system automatically moved the thread to "Announcements" because I posted a TSL link.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks, rain, but (maybe during the vimeo time?) I simply tried to post that Scott Hamilton's Interview part 1 was available, and the system said my thread was being moved to announcements, but then it never showed up on the announcements forum. Plus the closing of the thread about the credentialing. I understand about IN and their lack of reciprocity -- is that perhaps also the issue with TSL?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If you go to the feedback section gsk8 explained the locked thread :)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Thanks, rain, but (maybe during the vimeo time?) I simply tried to post that Scott Hamilton's Interview part 1 was available, and the system said my thread was being moved to announcements, but then it never showed up on the announcements forum. Plus the closing of the thread about the credentialing. I understand about IN and their lack of reciprocity -- is that perhaps also the issue with TSL?

It could have been merged with mine because I posted it too--I know for sure it was moved to the Announcements thread.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It was a great interview!! It felt like we actually got a sense of who Jeffrey Buttle is as a person, former competitor, skating show star and choreographer. Such a creative mind and his skating- superior.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
A little too mean to Brian Joubert! Calling him crap basically. But Joubert did really say a lot about buttle breaking 10 year quad streak in worlds winners. The thinking quad had joined triple axel as necessary for men to succeed in seniors. Then all the men started stopping doing training quads. Rule changes in 2010 reversed the buttle "quads are just one jump you can abandon them no problem" message. But they didn't ask about him being the role model for the 2010 Olympics!! All but 2 or 3 of the programs in Vancouver were based on his 2008 program!

"mean"? Not a mean bone in Buttle's body

gmyers

Record Breaker
"mean"? Not a mean bone in Buttle's body

No there is! I am actually surprised that they didn't mention his post Vancouver bashing of Plushenko that was recorded on a plane! He can be so brutal and yes mean spirited to others.