Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013 | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Did Akiko seem to be in pain in the K&C or am I imagining things? I hope I'm wrong. She is such a beautiful skater. I love her elegance and musicality.
No i noticed that too, looked like she was talking to her coach about it too..

loopy

Final Flight
Thank you for the information. it would have been interesting to see them from their first to final competitions.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Julia's presentation, interpretation, and (to a much lesser extent) choreography have GREATLY improved. Haters gonna hate and say it's jut because she's skating to sad music, but even if that's true, it doesn't change the fact that she's in a whole different class this year than last year. She is starting to look more like an adult on the ice than she did too. If she keeps on like this, she should be able to pack her bags for Sochi if the Russian federation and judges are fair come Nationals.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
tulosai said:
If she keeps on like this, she should be able to pack her bags for Sochi if the Russian federation and judges are fair come Nationals.

Despite some people insisting otherwise, I doubt the russian judges will hold Liza and Adelina up unfairly. Additionally, it's going to be the international European Championship judges that will have a huge say in this decision, I guess.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Julia's presentation, interpretation, and (to a much lesser extent) choreography have GREATLY improved. Haters gonna hate and say it's jut because she's skating to sad music, but even if that's true, it doesn't change the fact that she's in a whole different class this year than last year. She is starting to look more like an adult on the ice than she did too. If she keeps on like this, she should be able to pack her bags for Sochi if the Russian federation and judges are fair come Nationals.

yet some people insist Radionova who is the same age 15 years old has more senior look
Radionova looks like a prepubescent twig, Julia has become a young woman now, she filled out and grew a lot but she still has her jumps

hurrah

Medalist
Julia had great facial expression but her jumps are even smaller than last season's and she hardly has any flow out. Liza's presentation has improved even more than Julia's and her jumps are great, and she seems to be more powerful as well. Too bad about the Akiko's jump misses.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 265.59 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Sergei VORONOV (RUS) - 241.37 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 212.90 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 206.71 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 199.75 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 199.31 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Maciej CIEPLUCHA (POL) - 197.51
8. Kento NAKAMURA (JPN) - 192.53 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony

LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 191.31 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 180.54 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 173.45 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 164.51 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Vanessa LAM (USA) - 152.28
6. Isabelle OLSSON (SWE) - 150.45 Free Skate
7. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 129.73 Free Skate
8. Risa SHOJI (JPN) - 124.90 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Julia had great facial expression but her jumps are even smaller than last season's and she hardly has any flow out. Liza's presentation has improved even more than Julia's and her jumps are great, and she seems to be more powerful as well. Too bad about the Akiko's jump misses.

then you need to get your eyes checked, other than the 3T combo on her 3Flz which she has problem somtimes with the flow thus committing error on the triple combo
her jumps are good, her 2A height has gotten bigger

tulosai

Record Breaker

Look, I like Liza just fine and wish her no ill. But the fact is, she can't skate a clean short program to save her life, and it really hurts her. She should have many, many medals (including some golds) that she does not have because she can't skate a clean short, and in fact, she usually makes more than one mistake in the short. I do think her presentation is slightly better than last year, and her ice coverage has improved. I do not think her presentation has improved more than Julia's. In my mind Julia definitely gets the most improved award, probably out of anyone. She used to be kind of like a robot on the ice (and I say this as a huge fan). She is leaps and bounds away from that now. I will agree Liza is a more powerful skater than Julia.

I don't agree that Julia's jumps are smaller than last year. She may be a bit bigger which is making the jumps look smaller relatively speaking, and she will never be someone who has big jumps. However, she can get triple triples around fine, so for now, it appears they are big enough.

I agree about Akiko. I :love::love: her and wish she'd been clean.

tulosai

Record Breaker
On another note I am actually really mad about Liza's costumes. I almost feel that it must be a joke. Other than the tights which were darker today, it is like she is wearing an identical costume for both programs. It is really a pity. She is a young girl and should dress like one out there, not like she's constantly going to a funeral. Also, contrary to what she seems to think, I don't think the black is doing her any favors. I assume she is wearing it for its slimming effects but IMO it makes her look shorter and (possibly) wider than she would otherwise. She really needs a fashion advisor appointed to her.

I also almost think it is downplaying some of her movements since her limbs and body all seem to blend in with one another.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Liza's ice coverage improved o lot, IMO. I hate her costume and the "all black" look. The program is similar to the one she had last year, I wish she would try something different. Still, her jumps look fine, as always and her interpretation is quite good.
Julia was amazing. I absolutely love her costume and she looks stunning. This is the first season when she actually has a choreography and listens to the music. She is another skater. Weak points: an obvious flutz (it was not as severe last season) and her 2A(which is so small!). Her spiral sequence was amazing. For the first time I actually want her to make it to Sochi. She is the real deal

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
her jumps are good, her 2A height has gotten bigger

Her 2A is still small and she still doesn't drive through her leg, or get much flow out. But it's better than last season, yes.

I thought this was a great program for Julia, but there's still something tentative about her I find. Her jumps are pretty good, but they don't have the spring or flow of the other competitors. She's much more reliable though than Sotnikova/Tuktamysheva.

I don't think it's fair to call Radionova some pre-pubescent twig disparagingly, when we could have said the same about Julia a few years ago. Not to mention, Radionova's jumps are MUCH better than Julia's, and IMO, she projects her skating a lot better to the audience.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Yuzu! Strong performance, but some minor jump issues. It's odd to see him struggle with his 3A in both programs, when that's usually such a consistent jump for him. It was also apparently that he wasn't checking out of his jumps as quickly. I would have also expected him to "sell" the skate a bit more considering it's re-used and he should be comfortable with it. Still a very solid skate. And 87 points of PCS should certainly keep him in the running for gold in Sochi. Nice to see strong skates from Hanyu and Fernandez to start the season. :agree:

with a 212 score ?
still a headcase and Voronov beta him in PCS and TES

How is he a headcase? He just missed his quad, and landed everything else, and medaled. If you want to hate him, that's fine, but he still had a pretty solid skate.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Isn't Hanyu's LP to Rota's Romeo and Juliet? His R&J from a couple of seasons ago was a different score.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Her 2A is still small and she still doesn't drive through her leg, or get much flow out. But it's better than last season, yes.

I thought this was a great program for Julia, but there's still something tentative about her I find. Her jumps are pretty good, but they don't have the spring or flow of the other competitors. She's much more reliable though than Sotnikova/Tuktamysheva.

I don't think it's fair to call Radionova some pre-pubescent twig disparagingly, when we could have said the same about Julia a few years ago. Not to mention, Radionova's jumps are MUCH better than Julia's, and IMO, she projects her skating a lot better to the audience.

:rolleye: isn't that double standard when they are basically they are almost of the same age
Radionova does not have better jumps maybe the spring on them, her 2A and Flip is her worst jump and the one she gets mistakes most
at least Julia doesn't flap her arms everywhere

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yuzuru's only problem is his stamina as the season goes
but if he keeps his momentum until Sochi, OGM is his for the taking

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
I would have also expected him to "sell" the skate a bit more considering it's re-used and he should be comfortable with it.

He isn't reusing an old program. It's a Romeo and Juliet OST too, but the music is different, from a different composer, and the LP was created completly new.

sky_fly said:
isn't that double standard when they are basically they are almost of the same age

Radionova is about one year younger. And yes, that makes a difference - look at how different most people view Julia from last year.

nam57

Rinkside
Last year that program was amazing at Sectionals! Especially the level 4 STSQ that was so with the music! But unfortunately most events Vanessa cannot handle pressure of being near the top.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I would have never imagine to like «Malaguena» program after Sasha Cohen ones, but Elizaveta make this music justice :clap:

I was not a fan of Liza before, but this season, I like her program and her expression and I would like to see her at Sochi, she deserved it. Great choice of music from her and great improvement in artistry ability :yay:

In other side, I was a great fan of Mirai Nagasu before with her personnality and joy of skating and I don't like her skating now because she looks like a zombie in her expression. I begin to think that she doesn't deserve a place to Sochi if she doesn't change her attitude, I would prefer rooting for someone like Caroline Zhang who continue to make her soul and her joy to this sport.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Suzuki didn't plan the 1Lo+salchow combo: in practice she did 3F+2T+2Lo and this is what she's planning I think, today the flip's landing was shaky so she added the 1Lo in order to have a combo there and avoid a step-out...