Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Finlandia Trophy 04 -06.10. 2013

Icey

Record Breaker
Ilek, I don't think the judges saw it that way: there is only a 0.25 difference between Mirai's and Liza"s IN scores and and a .20 difference between their P+I scores.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What's wrong with Mirai? She doesn't look like she likes skating at all :( I think both hers and Elizaveta's PCS were too high. For example compared to Isabelle's(5 points lower) who skated a clean program with good jumps/tech and no GOE minus. OK you can do a lot of transitions, but what's with that if you pop jumps/UR them/fall…?

Julia and Vanessa nice surprises :clap:

Thanks Suzuki :love:

burntBREAD

Medalist
I don't think Mirai didn't care, but I think she was trying to appear light/carefree, to fit the music. You can tell by her body movements that she was definitely committed to the choreography, but her facial expression didn't work with the music as noted.

IleK

On the Ice
Ilek, I don't think the judges saw it that way: there is only a 0.25 difference between Mirai's and Liza"s IN scores and and a .20 difference between their P+I scores.

Sorry, can you be more clear, I am not sure what are you refering to from I posted. I posted a lot and I am dizzy reading the forum, trying not to miss Tomas at ON and watching the Ice dance at Finlandia.

Icey

Record Breaker
Not necessarily a full-blown grin, but I think "The Man I Love" calls for a pleasant, flirty sort of expression at least.

It's a torch song of romantic longing. Find and listen to Helen Morgan's tearful version.

Icey

Record Breaker
Sorry, can you be more clear, I am not sure what are you refering to from I posted. I posted a lot and I am dizzy reading the forum, trying not to miss Tomas at ON and watching the Ice dance at Finlandia.

See your post 238

burntBREAD

Medalist
It's a torch song of romantic longing. Find and listen to Helen Morgan's tearful version.

She could've done it in a more upbeat way like Ella Fitzgerald. But yes, torch song is the key word here. Torch songs = facial expression for sure.

I'm not saying that she deserved lower PCS than Tuktamysheva, not at all; in fact in my (biased) opinion her PCS are actually better than the others aside from Suzuki (SS particularly).

Then again, jumps are what gets you the majority of points, so she needs to focus on that as well. Hope for the best in the LP!

IleK

On the Ice
See your post 238

Well, as a fact I think the judges saw it that way. Because Mirai with her experience, qualities and with a beautiful program should be able to have higher PCS than Liza with that joke of a program, filled with mistakes, awful costume and flying hands. That little difference between the 2 of them says there is a problem. Liza is trying to get higher PCS and does what she knows to do. This the kind the music she can do and she is trying her best, even though the program doesn't help her at all. On the other hand, Mirai has the right costume, the right music, the perfect program, the proper movements but she doesn't show the emotion. She doesn't have to smile like Liza because there is a different kind of music, but emoting it's not equal to smiling. Look at Vanessa's face and you will see the difference.

samson

Medalist
Mirai looked great. Really sad for her about those pesky URs! I'll have to rewatch it but the flip looked clean to me. I think the judges low balled her on some of her GOEs and in PCS. It's a great program. Really sophisticated and her body language is wonderful in it. The double axel was pure wow for me. That's maturity. I would have given it a +3! I really hope she's able to come out stronger in the long!!!

I kind of agree with Icey. It's a torch song. Smiling isn't exactly the order of the day. Go listen to Helen Morgan, and then look for Pina Bausch - The Man I Love. The dance piece she created is one of the most devastating I've ever seen.

Haven't gotten to see Vanessa or Liza yet. Akiko was pretty great. What is that music? It sounded so familiar. I want to see how this program develops. She skated the heck out of it, but it didn't quite catch me.

Julia too was great. She skates with more maturity this season. Still very youthful, but it's better this year. I actually wanted to watch the whole piece!

Looking forward to the freeskate. To me, the overall taste level and maturity of the skating was higher here for the ladies sp than the other Senior Bs so far.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hello, just rejoining the thread to catch the second half of the FD.

Am in the US trying to watch the live stream at: http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2046700

Question:
For me, the stream is freezing up more often than not ... altho' for a few seconds now and again, it does work OK.
Is something wrong with my particular connection? Or are others having similar problems?

Thanks

burntBREAD

Medalist
Akiko's music is Hymne a L'amour, which is also a torch song now that I think about it -- she expresses it very well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Julia had a pretty programme which suited her really well. She has matured from last year a bit, which was to be expected, LOL. I loved Akiko´s programme, she is just great. Our commentator compared her gliding to that of Kostner, which I agree totally. Such a pity that Mirai has problems in doing fully rotated jumps. Why does her coach do nothing about it?

samson

Medalist
^alright thanks! I thought it was a torch song! The whole time She skated I kept imagining Barbra Streisand singing that melody and now I know why!

Yeah her facial expression was fabulous in this. I don't know though... Her expression and interpretation were great but I couldn't get into it like I wanted. maybe once it's a little more polished it will get there for me.

Icey

Record Breaker
Hello, just rejoining the thread to catch the second half of the FD.

Am in the US trying to watch the live stream at: http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2046700

Question:
For me, the stream is freezing up more often than not ... altho' for a few seconds now and again, it does work OK.

Is something wrong with my particular connection? Or are others having similar problems?

Thanks

I am in the USA too, SC, and the streaming has been flawless through out. Sorry, you are having problems.

IleK

On the Ice
For whoever wants to see Tomas, the last group at ON is on the ice. Tomas will skate first.

bestskate8

On the Ice
What a beautiful piece of music Julia has, it is very serious song, and she gets good score for first event. Those spins are divine and should get very high marks! She is my pick for Oly team Russia.

Elizaveta has better presentation, but still fighting with body changes. She has best jumps when she lands them, and needs to be ready for Russian nationals, if she wants to be in Oly ream Russia. If she lands those jumps who knows, who knows.. This SP suits her personality so well, she is dancing to it! Who ever picked the music did the right choice. Mishin is mumbling something but he is nice with Elizaveta.

Julia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUfEYJAzP0Q

Elizaveta http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDAwKOJqQ98