Veronik Mallet gets the TBA spot for Skate Canada, Your thought ? | Golden Skate

Veronik Mallet gets the TBA spot for Skate Canada, Your thought ?

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Hmm really strange... i would think chartrand has done enough so far this season to earn that spot... mallet i barely heard of..

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Well, remember when people asked, "Who in the world is Max Aaron?"

I think it's nice that Skate Canada is giving the spot to a young and upcoming skater. A GP series slot in the Olympic year seems to be a very valuable learning experience indeed.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Hmm really strange... i would think chartrand has done enough so far this season to earn that spot... mallet i barely heard of..

Alaine Chartrand is doing JGP this season. She just competed at Latvia finishing 4th, so she can't do Senior Grand Prix.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Alaine Chartrand is doing JGP this season. She just competed at Latvia finishing 4th, so she can't do Senior Grand Prix.

You beat me to it. Chartrand will have a nice opportunity doing Junior internationals instead of trying to scratch her way through the intensity of Senior during an Olympic year IMO

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Interesting choice, but I would have liked that Skate Canada give the Nebelhorn Trophy spot to Alexandra Najarro instead of giving to Veronik Mallet.
But, I'm fine with the choice with Mallet at Skate Canada :) I just would like that Skate Canada give a chance to Najarro also :rolleye:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The same here! :) "Who is Veronik Mallet?"

My sentiments exactly? Is she even from Canada? Sorry Mallet family and friends but Veronik is not really well known. In fact my friend thought was this some kind of mallet to flatten steaks.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
My sentiments exactly? Is she even from Canada? Sorry Mallet family and friends but Veronik is not really well known.

That's a stupid reason not to give someone a GP event.

Also, yes, she is Canadian. According to the "2013 Canadian Figure Skating Championships" article on Wikipedia, Ms. Mallet had a fifth-place finish at Nationals last season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just having a little fun but usually we have heard of them and fifth in Canada isn't really a great promise. But she is young so who knows.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still don't understand why Skate Canada didn't give Daleman or Chartrand at least one GP assignment instead of going back to the JGP. Considering that either one is probably going to be the 2nd place finisher and qualify for the Olympics why not get them some experience as Seniors?

trains

On the Ice
I believe Mallett is a little older and not junior eligible. Chartrand, Daleman, Seguin are all very young.
Osmond, Lacoste, Mallett = senior
Daleman, Chartrand, Seguin = junior

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well, remember when people asked, "Who in the world is Max Aaron?"

This! Ice, after all, is slippery, and one event can make all the difference.

While I'm not well-acquainted with her skating, I'm very excited to see Ms. Mallet's debut on the senior stage, household name or not. ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mallet's had good results in summer comps, and she's too old for the JGP. Alll the other up-and-coming Canadian ladies have been rewarded with JGP slots, so Mallet is the logical choice for the TBA spot.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I saw Veronik skate at Liberty. She was very good in both the SP and the LP.
She finished 2nd in the SP to Samantha Cesario, who landed a 3Lp3Lp combination, and ahead of Yasmin Sirzj.
http://www.iceworkssc.org/Liberty/Results/SeniorLadies_SP.pdf

She finished 2nd in the LP behind Ashley Cain (who had an amazing skate), and ahead of both Ceserio & Siraj,
http://www.iceworkssc.org/Liberty/Results/SeniorLadies_FS.pdf

Overall, she won, as Cain bombed the SP, and Cesario slid quite a ways back in the LP

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, that was the most reasonable choice, and she'll have some international exposure... But I think that she'll fight with Lacoste for the last spot, the field is too tough for her to hope even for an 8th place (unless someone WD/has a HUGE meltdown, like Flatt in 2011)... Good luck, anyway!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I liked Veronik Mallet's skating at Canadian Nats last year. I think she was a fine choice, considering Daleman and Chartrand are doing the JGP.