ISU Issues New Rule on interruptions to Programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU Issues New Rule on interruptions to Programs

tulosai

Record Breaker
I personally agree with the change and do think a stop should be penalized severely. I might draw some distinction between issues out of skater's control (meaning, totally separate from skaters- i.e. lights go out, music stops as mentioned somewhere else here) but I think by and large, stopping should be penalized severely. I do see as a potential problem that severely injured athletes might try to push on and hurt themselves, but as adults, that is their choice/bad judgment. I think V/M should have been punished much more for their stop than they were (and they were not at all) and at the very least should not have been allowed to repeat the element that they missed. I think this rule is more fair than no penalty at all, and unlike some people I think 5 points is about right. It is a major disruption and should be treated as such.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I can understand what you think, but, as a skater, I would feel very bad if this happened to me and I just think that it is unfair that if I have a cramp that can be solved in 2/3 minutes, I stop, re-start, skate a good program and still receive a 5-points penalty... Something like 2 points should be fair, for me. Maybe I don't have any technical/logical reason for why this shouldn't be done, but I think that I would feel this penalization as unfair because the cramp wasn't my fault and it wasn't predictable :( Just this, as a skater :biggrin:

hanca

Record Breaker
You can't afford to stop and rest at a skating test, why should you be allowed to do so at a major international competition? Is the test more important that Worlds?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is the referee cannot tell whether a skater is really having a cramp, or missed an element due to a loss of concentration, or just wants a rest period because she/he hasn't been training as much as required.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As I indicated above, I was responding to Tonto's comment.
Did not say that skating and tennis are apples and apples in every possible way.

Thank you, and someone did prove me wrong...

Although... when a tennis player takes a medical time-out, they aren't give a replay of the last point.

As a tennis fan, I can say with fair certainty that too many "calls for the trainer" are a result of poor conditioning... or they are tactical moves to halt the opponent's momentum, or they seem to be.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The problem is the referee cannot tell whether a skater is really having a cramp, or missed an element due to a loss of concentration, or just wants a rest period because she/he hasn't been training as much as required.

Precisely.

qazwsx

Rinkside
5 points (instead of 2 or 3 points) deduction is the ISU's way of saying it loud and clear, that if they can help it, they don't want a virtue-moir rest at the Olympic stage, and worse, with the resting team winning.

Because one more ambiguous winning might be all it takes to kick figure skating, or just ice dance for now, out of the Olympics. I say if you want figure skating staying as a sport, suck it up. There are enough people making fun of it as a sport already.