Warm-Up Group 4
15 Andrei LAZUKIN RUS
16 Graham NEWBERRY GBR
17 Zhen Feng CHAN MAS
18 Lap Kan YUEN HKG
19 Nathan CHEN USA

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Looks like Chen is healthy again and back on top of his game. I'm betting he landed his 3 axel.

MasterB

Final Flight
Chen's Four Seasons is a masterpiece. I Wish he would show some enjoyment after his skate.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Protocol's up: http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpmex2013/jgpmex2013_JuniorMen_SP_Scores.pdf

No 3A, but a massive 3Lz-3T combo for 12.21 points.

Yep, saw that. The videos are up and I just watched it here - http://www.youtube.com/user/ISUJGP2011 He is definitely growing up - both physically and artistically. It looks to me like his sit spins are not quite as low as they used to be. I wonder if the Osgood-Schlatter's disease that he manages makes it hard on his knees to go down into a true sit-spin position.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Chen is majorly backloading his sp! Really taking advantage of the bonus as he abandons his 3a while in recovery. He is totally doing a Jason brown. 3a are not necessary in jrgp

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Chen is majorly backloading his sp! Really taking advantage of the bonus as he abandons his 3a while in recovery. He is totally doing a Jason brown. 3a are not necessary in jrgp
Nathan and his coaches have always been excellent students of the scoring system and at getting every point they can. Last year's Nationals free skate was also exceptionally back-loaded.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Chen was boss! Glad to see him skating so well, hoping he's healthy now! Good skates for the Japanese men as well, and the guy from Russia was promising, very elegant. Nyugen's costume however :slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, I loved that from Nathan. And man did he rack up the +GOEs -- 7.26 points, not too far off from the BV of a triple axels. Good for him. Man when he gets that 3A back into action, watch out!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was beautiful! Isn't that quite a lot more than Jason Brown scored in his no 3A days?

Moment

Final Flight
Nathan Chen's flying sit spin should be level 1 because he didn't make the correct sit position in the air

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lazukin has a smooth, pleasingly expressive style, but he struggled with his jumps, putting two hands down on the 3a, and just eking out both jumps in the combo; only his 3lo was clean with +GOE.

Genia by contrast gave a rather tentative performance, and he had jump problems as well. His 2a had a jerky landing, and he hesitated going into the flutz combo, and those landings were eked out; he double-footed the 3lo and got a UR. Then he fell in the footwork.

I don't see these two as the equals AlexRus indicated they were. Lazukin is by far the more polished skater, and that's likely because this is his second JGP season, while Genia is a newbie. However, they both could use more work in the jump department.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It was beautiful! Isn't that quite a lot more than Jason Brown scored in his no 3A days?

Yes, Brown was more 68-70 range when he wasn't doing 3a, but that was also before the 2nd half bonus was introduced for the SP. Plus I think Chen is even more impressive/has more "wow" factor just where he's skating like that at such a young age and as such a small boy. Brown was 16-17+ and pretty much full grown when he was putting out great performances lacking a 3a, and while he certainly grabs your attention, being one of the older and more mature guys at JGP events, it makes sense that his scores weren't quite as high as Nathan IMO, because he was less of a standout. I think Nathan also has better technique, Brown has a slight flutz that he sometimes gets called for which also could have impacted his scores.