Courtney Hicks GP season?! | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Courtney Hicks GP season?!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. Can someone explain why Courtney is generally rated below Gracie Gold?

While both are lacking artistically, Gracie does have solid non-jump elements (she scored 19.74 in the FS for those elements, vs. 17.44 for Courtney). She also has decent lines+ skating skills.

The differences in PCS scores are debatable, for sure, though Gracie does have strong skating skills.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Thanks for the link. Can someone explain why Courtney is generally rated below Gracie Gold?

Um because Courtney has all the posture and extension of Aly Raisman (in gymnastics)? As unartistic as Gracie may be, at least she extends her legs and isn't slumped over in her shoulders.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's actually considered proper technique to take off after having drawn the blade almost around the outside of the toe pick, thus having the first quarter turn of the rotation on the ice. Taking off totally squared to the back would result in something that wasn't really a toe loop.

???

Who's talking about squared back? You can draw the toepick around a full half turn and it's standard. More than that is not, though.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
???

Who's talking about squared back? You can draw the toepick around a full half turn and it's standard. More than that is not, though.

She really didn't draw it around more than that, though. If you begin to do that, you lose power on the jump- you're essentially doing a pivot at that point. Her technique looked pretty standard to me. The non-picking foot ends up kind of traveling in the general trajectory of the jump, and to get height, you have to take off with it. If you wait you are just working against yourself.

You said she looked like she was taking off sideways. The only biomechanically feasible way I could see her doing that is to take off after the first 1/4-1/2 turn on ice. 3/4 turn on ice and she'll be barely in the air at all. Thus I surmised that you wanted her to take off sooner than 1/4 turn into the jump.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a feeling at Nationals there are going to be some surprises in the Ladies event. Gracie looks vulnerable with all the changes in her coaching situation plus she needs to start being a better competitor so she isn't a lock and Agnes keeps bombing her LP's. Hicks is a real threat and maybe Cesario too. As for Ashley we haven't seen anything yet to tell us how she is going to do this year.

Selene

On the Ice
Is there anyway Courtney can be added to Cup of China? Agnes is the only American lady there.

No, there are ten competitors per Grand Prix event and skaters have to withdraw for other skaters to be added. She would need a few skaters to withdraw from their events before she could be chosen, because her season best score does not have her on the alternate list yet. And even then the event organizers have a list of five names to choose from, so she isn't a certainty to be picked.

I do hope she gets a Grand Prix. She deserves one, but she could be fine competing in a few Senior B's as well. Max Aaron didn't have a Grand Prix spot last season, and he ended up winning the US title. If she skates like she did in her SLC long program at Nationals next season, it would be very difficult for the judges to keep her off the Olympic team.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
You said she looked like she was taking off sideways. The only biomechanically feasible way I could see her doing that is to take off after the first 1/2 turn on ice. 3/4 turn on ice and she'll be barely in the air at all.

And yet people do it all the time. Cheating toeloop entrances is very common, especially on combinations, and not scrutinized enough by a lot of technical panels.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
And yet people do it all the time. Cheating toeloop entrances is very common, especially on combinations, and not scrutinized enough by a lot of technical panels.

Her jumps both looked fully rotated. The trajectory of her jump was normal, showing her technique was not wonky. She is facing back when she leaves the ice, but she does take off in time. I maintain that taking off late in a toe loop will destroy the jump, and it would be difficult to even do a double that way. A toe loop that has a cheated entry will have many more signs of trouble to go with the poor entry because it is a biomechanically unsound way to jump. The jump would be low, crooked, and wouldn't travel in line with the entry edge.

That's all I'm really going to get into this on this thread due to getting a bit off topic.

Slowdive

On the Ice
Um because Courtney has all the posture and extension of Aly Raisman (in gymnastics)? As unartistic as Gracie may be, at least she extends her legs and isn't slumped over in her shoulders.

Raisman has the most beautiful extension of any gymnast I've ever been.
Bar none.
But that's for a different forum :)

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Any chance Courtney gets picked to fill Yuna's spot @ Skate Canada?
Gracie and Christina Gao are currently scheduled to represent the USA. We already have 3 lady spots filled @ TEB.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Any chance Courtney gets picked to fill Yuna's spot @ Skate Canada?
Gracie and Christina Gao are currently scheduled to represent the USA. We already have 3 lady spots filled @ TEB.

Via the data crunchers at FSU, here is the current alternate list.

27-Imai (RC)
31-K. Zhang (CoC)
32-Lacoste (SC)
33-Gosviani (CoR)
34-Hicks

It looks like Hicks has a shot!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Considering how Hicks has been skating this season compared to those other girls ahead of her she should get that spot at SC.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well deserved. If she brings her jumps this could be a break-out event for her. Yes, she has weaknesses but she jumps well enough to take advantage if it is a poorly-skated competition.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I heard Osmond has had a stress fracture in her foot and was off the ice for a while.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Finally Hicks has a GP. I could see her beating Gold. She is a really energetic, sometimes frenetic skater, but she has good basics and she jumps like crazy and has decent spins. There are many young women in skating that would make you go "Gracie Who?". I hope Hicks takes advantage of this Skate Canada gift. I wish her well, as I do all the others. But I thought she was robbed this season. At least she did make it to the SGP.