Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov

Bahar

Rinkside
Maybe it is just a visit to an older friend.(trying to convince myself that they wont come together again but I want it so bad like the way I want Tessa and Scott to be a real couple 😄, I am miserable 😂)

madison

Record Breaker
Maybe it is just a visit to an older friend.(trying to convince myself that they wont come together again but I want it so bad like the way I want Tessa and Scott to be a real couple 😄, I am miserable 😂)

Old friend... being Yulia?:biggrin:

Mattieu

Medalist
Hope some definite news will come out soon, whether she will return or not.

I think the chances are slim now, she has been out of the game too long, and there are no free partners of her calibre in Russia.
She would cannot change countries either, as she would then lose her life long Olympic salary for medalling in Sochi.

It looks to me like she has moved on to her coaching career.

Bahar

Rinkside
I think the chances are slim now, she has been out of the game too long, and there are no free partners of her calibre in Russia.
She would cannot change countries either, as she would then lose her life long Olympic salary for medalling in Sochi.

It is so sad to witness one of the most talented ladies of ice dance has to retire that young age without a grounded reason. (Sorry if I could not find the right word) She would be in the top with a right partner. I hope she will do whatever makes her happy.

bramweld

Record Breaker

Free or attached, Russia just hasn't got the depth in male ice dancers period. Bukin is the closest thing to the complete package, while Katsalapov's strengths lie within the step sequences and overall dancing ability. I'm not sold either on Bazin and Soloviev is good but not great. Let her achieve success instead through other means. Maybe this is just her fate.

elysium

On the Ice
It seems that Nikita and Victoria are practicing tango pattern for the next year, so I doubt that Lena and Nikita plan to team up again.

uhh

Medalist
It seems that Nikita and Victoria are practicing tango pattern for the next year, so I doubt that Lena and Nikita plan to team up again.

I mean, given Nikita's record last time, when he had committed to working with a new coach, signed on for shows with Elena, and was still going right to the end of the season even though it became apparent that he had planned to switch for a while, I wouldn't take anything for granted. And there is also the "transfer period" where teams receiving central funding are permitted to change partners - because they have the team funding, S/K are supposed to keep working together until the end of the season and be ready in case they are needed for another event.

But I agree that it is very unlikely to see Lena & Nikita together again. Unless there is pressure from the federation if S/B and Z/G under perform at Worlds.

elysium

On the Ice
I mean, given Nikita's record last time, when he had committed to working with a new coach, signed on for shows with Elena, and was still going right to the end of the season even though it became apparent that he had planned to switch for a while, I wouldn't take anything for granted. And there is also the "transfer period" where teams receiving central funding are permitted to change partners - because they have the team funding, S/K are supposed to keep working together until the end of the season and be ready in case they are needed for another event.

But I agree that it is very unlikely to see Lena & Nikita together again. Unless there is pressure from the federation if S/B and Z/G under perform at Worlds.

It would be so great if Lena gets one more chance before retiring. If Nikita ever decides to regroup again, I hope he handles the situation better than the last time.

Since BS are not going to the worlds, there must be an announcement about how Soloviev will continue soon.

bramweld

Record Breaker
It would be so great if Lena gets one more chance before retiring. If Nikita ever decides to regroup again, I hope he handles the situation better than the last time.

Since BS are not going to the worlds, there must be an announcement about how Soloviev will continue soon.

I honestly couldn't see him with Lena. She has a more natural, flamboyant style. She's a natural born dancer as is Katsalapov and Drozd. Soloviev is more of a skate by numbers kind of guy, IMHO, as is Bobrova, hence they fit nicely together. They are going to retire ultimately, what are they going to come back to? Bobrova would also not be very pleased if this were to happen, I've always sensed some weird tension between her and Lena, a bit of envy maybe?

elysium

On the Ice
I think Aljona just showed a few days ago that you can pair with anyone if you are willing to work :).

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think Aljona just showed a few days ago that you can pair with anyone if you are willing to work :).

It only works if your skills and expectations are aligned correctly. Which obviously they weren't. Zhiganshin was too small for her and apparently also not in the best of health. Shibnev had some nice qualities, was also lovely eye candy but either the level of skills or work ethic or both did not line up. So at the end of the day you have to ask yourself how much are you willing to suffer for something that has no prospects.

Remember this is Russia and if the establishment sees no prospects you aren't going anywhere. I am sure she heard the feedback and drew the conclusions that she had to.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
It really would be terribly sad to see her retire. She has such talent and is still young.

I do blame Nikita, but the Federation handled that whole split badly and not with enough force to make them stick with it. Nikita acted like a spoiled brat and the parents let them get away with it. They were the most promising Russian ice dance pair and that was a huge mistake from which Russian ice dance has never recovered. Russia simply lost their footing and momentum on the ice dance world stage and it is no surprise at all that neither of them made it to the Olympics this time and that Russia didn't medal in the event.

At this point I don't think Lena and Nikita would pair up together again, but honestly, not sure what the Russian Fed has in mind to recoup itself, SB and ZG are simply not of the caliber of any of the teams at Wolds. In my opinion, SB were never of that caliber, sorry SB.