Article about Patrick Chan with a tad of Virtue/Moir | Golden Skate

Article about Patrick Chan with a tad of Virtue/Moir

GF2445

Record Breaker
The only scenery Patrick Chan saw this past summer was along the freeway between Colorado Springs and Detroit.

For once, the three-time world figure skating champion, global traveller — and occasional adventure seeker — stayed put.

The 22-year-old from Toronto has his sights set squarely on claiming Canada's first Olympic men's singles gold medal in Sochi, and he and coach Kathy Johnston made a very deliberate decision to spend the summer at the rink at Chan's training base in Detroit.....

Click link to read on
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/s...s-patrick-chan-off-season-figure-skating.html

aftertherain

Record Breaker
"This isn't the year to do that. That was the strategy as well, not to try anything new and brash, because there's no need for it," Chan said. "The two quads are solid, they weren't solid last year honestly. Even though I landed it almost every competition, I didn't feel confident about it. I didn't know going into it that I could land it. This year I'm starting to feel that a little more."

While he wouldn't need them for marks, he said he may add a second triple Axel "just for kicks," or a quad Salchow "as a party trick."

Compiling his success rate at the quad over the last three years (in the Lysacek thread) really opened my eyes to something--he can do very beautiful quads, but he still fails at getting +GOE at almost half his attempts. Also, he better damn well clean up his other jumps before he adds the 3A "just for kicks" or the 4S "as a party trick."

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thx for posting the article, GF2445.

Minor detail ;): the article misspells the name of Chan's coach. It should be Johnson, not Johnston. :eek:hwell:
Not the end of the world, but small errors like that always make me wonder whether more significant errors are lurking in the content.

yyyskate

Record Breaker

Minor detail ;): the article misspells the name of Chan's coach. It should be Johnson, not Johnston. :eek:hwell:
Not the end of the world, but small errors like that always make me wonder whether more significant errors are lurking in the content.
agreed. something like "cooking his own meal" just appears to me that he does not have a team....and add another 3A. please first land a solid/consistent one!

spikydurian

Medalist
agreed. something like "cooking his own meal" just appears to me that he does not have a team....and add another 3A. please first land a solid/consistent one!
What has 'cooking his own meal' got to do with a team? Is it normal for a sports team to double up as chef and housekeeper?
Read carefully, he says .. 'just for kicks' and 'as party trick'.

GF2445

Record Breaker
What has 'cooking his own meal' got to do with a team? Is it normal for a sports team to double up as chef and housekeeper?

I think this article is saying that he is more independent now living in Detroit. I think they mentioned it to show that things have changed and he has had to mature in life off the ice. I think the thing about adding an additional 3A "just for kicks" was more of a joking sort of thing. He is just highlighting that he is not learning any new tricks.

I think that this move for him was wise as he needs to get his act together.

ALSO- I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THE DOCO ABOUT TESSA & SCOTT!!!- I and I am sure all of you are dying to know what goes on at the Arctic Edge Club in Canton, Michigan.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well considering many people don't consider Kathy Johnson a real coach anyways is it a surprise they misspelled her name? :laugh:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
as far as a professional athlete concerned. Diet is tightly controlled, especially figure skaters. a skater of his caliber usually have some sorta nutritionist and need not to waste time on things like grocery shopping or cooking. Why Patrick has better jumps etc before, is because he has a team and this team is very strict on him. He may not like them. But the outcome was good. I am just worried about Patrick. This is olympic season, and perhaps his last competitive season.I really wish him leave no regrets.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Christine Krall was no doubt hard on Patrick and he's even said he wasn't happy the last season he was with her. But it's the coaches job to do whatever it takes to make the skater be at his or her best. He doesn't have that now and i get the feeling he's calling the shots on everything and it's showing in his skating. I think he felt he didn't really need a top notch coach anymore after winning his 2nd World title and it's arrogance why he picked his girlfriends mother as his coach.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
as far as a professional athlete concerned. Diet is tightly controlled, especially figure skaters. a skater of his caliber usually have some sorta nutritionist and need not to waste time on things like grocery shopping or cooking.

Access to a nutritionist for periodic consultations is one thing. But the luxury of a personal shopper or personal chef on a daily basis is quite another. :eek:
Don't know what country you are in, yyyskate, but I would guess that very, very few -- if any at all -- elite skaters in North America can afford to have someone (other than mom or dad) buy ingredients and cook for them.
Many skaters post random tweets about their grocery shopping and meal preparation. Just one of countless examples:

@agneszawadzki
Done meal prepping lunch for the week...When you fail to plan you plan to fail... pic.twitter.com/u7LLHxDIbk
2:57 PM - 2 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/agneszawadzki/status/374652293427126273

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Access to a nutritionist for periodic consultations is one thing. But the luxury of a personal shopper or personal chef on a daily basis is quite another. :eek:
Don't know what country you are in, yyyskate, but I would guess that very, very few -- if any at all -- elite skaters in North America can afford to have someone (other than mom or dad) buy ingredients and cook for them.
Many skaters post random tweets about their grocery shopping and meal preparation. Just one of countless examples:

@agneszawadzki
Done meal prepping lunch for the week...When you fail to plan you plan to fail... pic.twitter.com/u7LLHxDIbk
2:57 PM - 2 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/agneszawadzki/status/374652293427126273

Thanks for Agnes lunch photo, That was really impressive, all salad. I am Chinese, but I am living in US. I don't know for sure how either Chinese or American elite athlete manage their every life. From what I heard usually Chinese athletes are government supported, They usually have very strict regimen. I am also aware that both Mao and Yuna have very strict diet and a huge team supporting them(I guess they are not supported by government). I am aware that in North America, Sport is more of your own business. I just felt that having more guidance and discipline during Olympic season is better than more freedom. Sometime, self-discipline is not enough no matter how determined you are. I am just worried about Patrick. If He can manage with just one coach, good for him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For a few years now Patrick has been expressing the importance of proper diet and nutrition for an athlete, even wishing to aid young skaters in the holistic approach in training after he retires from competition. Doing his own meals only means that his mother is no longer living with and cooking for him. Part of being grown up.