From Thursday to Wednesday? | Golden Skate

From Thursday to Wednesday?

sbstien

Rinkside
The Nationals will be held from Thursday January 9 to Wednesday January 15. This is strange, isn't it? Last year, the competitions ended on Sunday...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't know about Canada-in the US craziness in the schedule usually has something to do with the demands of whatever broadcaster has the TV rights, (if we are so lucky that anyone will actually broadcast skating, of course.)

hohoho

On the Ice
The schedule is really different this year. Seniors are first followed by Junior/Novice. Totally opposite as previous years. Must be because of an Olympic year.

sbstien

Rinkside
The schedule is really different this year. Seniors are first followed by Junior/Novice. Totally opposite as previous years. Must be because of an Olympic year.

If I understand correclty: seniors will be from Thursday to Saturday (or Sunday). Do we know when the schedule will be announced?

lcd

Match Penalty
Agreed. Puzzling and disappointing. Especially for Novice and Junior, who will likely be training while the senior event is going on, they will not get that "preview" to the excitement of Senior nationals during an Olympic trials year experience. Plus, where will the crowds be? Parents + ...? Hope they almost give tickets away to have people in the arena to provide love and support to the next generation

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this is a shame. On US broadcasts of the senior events, they sometimes show a performance from a junior or novice that was particularly noteworthy to promote the next stars of the sport. If those comps are not held until afterwards...

Not to mention the gala. Will seniors be expected to hang around Nationals to skate in the gala three or four days after their competition has ended? Or will they skate the gala early and not include the juniors/novices. Again... I'm assuming that the Canadians normally include younger skaters in the gala.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

If I understand correclty: seniors will be from Thursday to Saturday (or Sunday). Do we know when the schedule will be announced?

A positive :yes: aspect of the schedule is that having the seniors compete first will maximize the number of days for those who qualify for Sochi to recharge and prepare for The Big Events there.
The Olympic team skating competition begins on Thu Feb 6.
Those who qualify for Sochi will have to embark on their travel there within ~ three weeks of the gala in Ottawa.

A draft schedule as of Sep 2013 for 2014 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships:

... Will seniors be expected to hang around Nationals to skate in the gala three or four days after their competition has ended? Or will they skate the gala early and not include the juniors/novices. Again... I'm assuming that the Canadians normally include younger skaters in the gala.

The gala will be on Sun Jan 12, according to the draft schedule -- i.e., after the seniors compete, and before the juniors and novices compete.
(I do not know whether juniors and novices will take part in the gala.)

lcd

Match Penalty
Golden 411 Thanks for posting the draft schedule. Is it just me? Or does it reproduce as a 'blur'

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Golden 411 Thanks for posting the draft schedule. Is it just me? Or does it reproduce as a 'blur'

lcd, not sure what you mean by "reproduce." I have not tried printing the schedule, if that is what results in a blur for you. :(

But when I click on the link above, a readable schedule opens on my screen. I also saved the schedule as a PDF, and when I open the PDF, it is readable. Sorry, don't know what else I can tell you ...

Sara

On the Ice
Do you guys know if there is any stream (preferably not geo-blocked) to watch the nats?

Skate97

Rinkside
Do you guys know if there is any stream (preferably not geo-blocked) to watch the nats?

Skate Canada will be live-streaming all Novice and Junior events, plus all Senior skaters who aren't shown on TV, but you need a subscription (it isn't geoblocked though). I don't know whether CTV/TSN will be streaming what they show on TV, but if they do, it will likely be geoblocked. You may have to wait for things to show up on youtube.

Sara

On the Ice
Skate Canada will be live-streaming all Novice and Junior events, plus all Senior skaters who aren't shown on TV, but you need a subscription (it isn't geoblocked though). I don't know whether CTV/TSN will be streaming what they show on TV, but if they do, it will likely be geoblocked. You may have to wait for things to show up on youtube.

Many thanks for this info! :)

swier

Spectator

Do you mean subscription to Skate BUZZ?

Skate97

Rinkside
Do you mean subscription to Skate BUZZ?

I don't think the SkateBuzz website has been used for a couple of seasons now. You can subscribe on the Skate Canada website and access the livestream through the Members Only Login.

Snoopy15

On the Ice
It isn't a subscription to Skate Buzz; you need to be a registered Skate Canada member and pay 20 dollars on the Skate Canada (Members Only) Section for the Novice and Junior Nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A draft schedule as of Sep 2013 for 2014 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships:

The schedule has been updated as of Jan 2. (The link remains the same.)

...You can subscribe on the Skate Canada website and access the livestream through the Members Only Login.

It isn't a subscription to Skate Buzz; you need to be a registered Skate Canada member and pay 20 dollars on the Skate Canada (Members Only) Section for the Novice and Junior Nationals.

I believe that Skate Canada membership is NOT necessary to purchase streaming subscriptions -- if I understand the Skate Canada website correctly.

I am a Skate Canada Member. Am I eligible for a discount?
The Live Streaming Season Ticket is a low, one-time payment of $19.95 for all subscribers. The live streaming initiative is fully funded by Skate Canada as an added value to our members and fans. This low, one-time cost allows us to keep live streaming costs manageable.

100th Canadian Tire National Skating Championships: All Novice and Junior events will be streamed along with select Senior events. All other senior events with will be broadcast by CTV/TSN/RDS.​