Gracie Gold is without coach | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold is without coach

Krislite

Medalist
A charitable interpretation of Gold's comment is that she meant that they deserved to be on the podium just as she herself deserved it (i.e., they all deserved their placement). I don't think she necessarily meant anything arrogant by it, though of course you can easily interpret it that way (as some posters are wont to interpret any comments by me as a part of a big Yuna fan conspiracy;) ).

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Krislite, I also took it to be a sort of "everyone deserved to be there" kind of comment, worded awkwardly. Just as I don't think she was implying that she compares to Arakawa in accomplishments when she mentioned that Arakawa changed coaches even later in her Olympic season -- she was just citing an example of someone who was able to change teams late in the season and still be successful.

Gracie seems very stiff and uncomfortable to me even in the fluffiest of soundbites, such as in the "who is your celebrity crush?" snippet.

Also, it's not like she said she's the President of the United States and she's not going to eat broccoli any more (heh, heh, the other oldtimers will get it, and I never had a problem with a president asserting a personal taste anyway).

Krislite, I also took it to be a sort of "everyone deserved to be there" kind of comment, worded awkwardly. Just as I don't think she was implying that she compares to Arakawa in accomplishments when she mentioned that Arakawa changed coaches even later in her Olympic season -- she was just citing an example of someone who was able to change teams late in the season and still be successful.

Gracie seems very stiff and uncomfortable to me even in the fluffiest of soundbites, such as in the "who is your celebrity crush?" snippet.

Also, it's not like she said she's the President of the United States and she's not going to eat broccoli any more (heh, heh, the other oldtimers will get it, and I never had a problem with a president asserting a personal taste anyway).

I think you may be right, Rallycairn. It's hard enough for experienced adults to say things that come out right; a kid who spends all her time training and skating is not going to see all the ramifications of a remark. I doubt she sees herself as the greatest thing since Sonja Henie. It's often easy for listeners to twist a phrase around to give it another connotation, and it's always tempting to interpret someone else's words through one's own filter and make assumptions about the speaker's intent.

I remember the broccoli fuss. Goodness, it was as if Bush 41 had decreed that all the broccoli fields in the country should be plowed under. The uproar! And this was a guy who had worked as a diplomat; if he could make such waves, how can we expect a teenaged skater to get the wording right all the time.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
That's all well and good - but E! and TMZ are not invited to certain events and in a lot of circles they aren't considered true journalism.

So if that's what TSL is then they need to "suck it up princess" and get over that they are not viewed as a legitimate news source and as such do not qualify for media credentials. Can't have it both ways.

E! is invited to every entertainment event b/c of the huge audience they reach. They are seen as a legitimate news source within their genre of news. It's apples and oranges; news media versus entertainment media. TSL would be considered entertainment media. I honestly think if they had a much bigger audience they would not be denied credentials, but as it is they are still a very small media source right now so they don't command the attention or respect that a bigger media source would.

You can bet money if TSL reached a couple of tens of thousands of viewers/followers that the USFSA would not have denied them credentials to come to any event. Last time I checked I think they had around 1500 subscribers so in the grand scheme of things that's just not enough exposure to merit any kind of respect from the USFSA. I think they should continue doing what they're doing and continue to grow their fanbase on their own. It's obvious that they don't really need media credentials to do what they're doing and whining about it or picking a fight with the USFSA won't help.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Beggars can't be choosers. USFSA is in lala land. You hang on to every one of your fans/haters because they probably will turn on the TV at the right time.
The rating is abysmal, and they think they have superbowl sunday on their hand. Give me a break. It's a dying sport, you should roll out the red carpet at every road that lead to your stupid event. Denying press when they can't even fill 2 seats? It's almost as crazy as Gracie trying to be "artistic"

USFSA needs a reality check a long time ago. What bozos run this organization?

Well, Gracie can look at it this way. At least she is famous enough for people to bother to ridicule her. As the old show business saying goes, "I don't care what you write about me, just spell my name right." ;)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Gracie is extremely talented. She has the sass, the technique and the improved presentation to be that next American Lady. Hopefully all goes well and Frank will take her on and all will be well again.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yeah it's ridiculous that people criticize TSL so much when Phil Hersh exists and is given official credentials. They are far more knowledgeable than he is, they provide more useful information, they are trying to do far more to actively promote the sport and the athletes, and they are much more entertaining on top of it all. Come on now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I want to say lots in response to this thread but for now I'll just leave it at 'I wish Phil Hersh would shut up.'

Don't understand why Hersh deserves condemnation for simply doing his job on the Gold/Carroll story. :confused2:
Hersh is a reporter. His job is to report. Gold made an active choice to give him a piece of information overnight advancing the story, and he reported it.

Mrs. P and KKonas: If you're out there, am interested to hear your thoughts.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He isn't a good reporter. He is boring and brings no special information or interest about the sport to the table. Anyone can copy + paste information that has been handed to them.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Some crazy-*** fans go crazy on old Phil undeservedly. I have a problem with him when he injects his personal anecdote or stupid crap like that into his reporting. This looks like this is a straight up reporting to me. What's the deal?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He isn't a good reporter. He is boring and brings no special information or interest about the sport to the table. Anyone can copy + paste information that has been handed to them.

:rolleye:
Gold is among the skaters who obviously do not share your opinion. She could have "handed" her update to any reporter under the sun (for example, from IceNetwork or the NBC Olympics website), but her singling out of Hersh presumably means that he has worked for months (if not years) to establish a mutually respectful relationship with her.