Canadian figure skater Elvis Stojko to make acting debut in 'Chicago' | Golden Skate

Canadian figure skater Elvis Stojko to make acting debut in 'Chicago'

GF2445

Record Breaker
Canadian Olympic figure skating star Elvis Stojko will make his professional acting debut as smooth-talking lawyer Billy Flynn in an upcoming production of "Chicago, the Musical."

Mirvish Productions is mounting the musical as part of its 50th anniversary season.

"People think of me as only a skater. What they don't know is that I love musicals," the Newmarket, Ont., native said in a statement.

"Now I finally have the chance to play a great role in one of the greatest musicals of all time. I'm very excited."

Article from CTV
Written by Victoria Ahearn of The Canadian Press
Published 17th September 2013

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment...jko-to-make-acting-debut-in-chicago-1.1458804

Holy cannoli! Elvis can sing? Who knew? What a neat idea. I hope anyone who gets to see him will report. I bet he'd have a lot of fun portraying the slick hustler persona of the character. I love that he loves musicals.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Any news on his debut? Any article, criticism in newspaper? I'm really corious of his voice and acting talent.:yes:

ang709

Rinkside
Does anyone know if the album ever got released or if it was just the one single? I don't know how current his website is, but it says the album is to be released later 'this year'.

However, his site also lets acting credits, including a part in 'Grease' in 2004. I haven't found any reviews, though.

Elvis sang the song "100 lifetimes" in one of his Rock the Ice shows, but I can't find a YouTube of it.

I am not sure what it means these days to "release" an album. It is not on Amazon. I think you have to be one of Elvis' personal friends to own a copy. As far as I can tell there was not much activity after the initial announcement in 2009.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/281710

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elvis has a very limited vocal range, so I wouldn't exactly call him a 'singer'. And after having watched Oksana Baiul, Tara Lipinski and Sasha Cohen in their attempts at acting, IMO skaters are usually best when they're skating.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually, I can picture Elvis as the character Billy Flynn - it will be an interesting departure for Elvis. Cool.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
As a fan of Elvis, it's very good to know that he has other talents and is able to carry on doing diferente projects. His singing is quite pleasing.

lcd

Match Penalty
Interesting to see the "performance bug" never leaves most of the top skaters. I wish him well. "Break a leg"