If you were a G&G/Katia commentator... | Golden Skate

If you were a G&G/Katia commentator...

zilam98

Rinkside
what would have been some of your comments? More objective comments please, not just about their/her beauty or Katia's romantic history.

Or maybe try to be Dick Button, or Peggy Flemming, or Sandra Bezic, etc. and comment on G&G's performance either in amateur or pros, as well as Katia's.

I'd love to know of your comments. :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hi zilam and welcome to GS......

I'll try, they are after all, my favorite pairs skaters......"They skate as one"........that is the way pair skating should look.....42

zilam98

Rinkside
And Oh! How about being Chris and Simon?

I wish someone here could be those two and comment as objectively as possible on G&G's/Katia's skating.

heyang

Record Breaker
The ease of their skating made every move appear easy. They were technically brilliant. Since the eyes are usually on the lady, many don't notice that many men usually come to a halt or slow down considerably when completing a throw jump. Sergei would actually maintain or increase his speed. Also, their connection on the ice is without compare.

I've also heard that you couldn't hear their skating unless they wanted you to hear their blades on ice. Very few skaters have that much edge control - Yuka Sato being the only other skater that comes to mind.

Jhar55

Medalist
IMO, this is very hard to answer because that's they way I always saw there skating as two people being in love with each other and that came out is a very romantic way. It's was all in there eyes the way they looked at each other as if no one else was around, there movements were graceful. It's as if you could hear a pin drop it was that quite.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
G&G

They were the perfect pair, winning gold in 1988 and 1994. No one before or since was their equal. Fo me they defined pair skating of the classical, romantic, lyrical type. Rodnina and Zaitsev had awesome power, tricks and may have been greater athletes, but G&G were truly one.

In memory of Sergei Grinkov, beloved skater.

Effy

Rinkside
That is easy!

G&G were not only some of the youngest skating champions we have ever seen. Competitionwise they were also some of the strongest, only beaten once in amauteur competition and I think twice as newcomers on the professionel scene. Not only were their technical feats in the top leque of their time, their speed, lines, stroking and coordination were better than any pair before and after. Their programmes were beautiful and groundbreaking choregraphy and their musicality and interpretation best in fields.

Upon their return to the amateur rank in 1994 their performance in short and long programme showed added maturity and finesse
as well as an improwed showmanship and interpretation skills, which help them assure their second Olympic gold in a strong field of competitors. The only former professionals who won a gold came very well prepered and with all their skill and speed intact.

As for Katya as a solo performer. I would say. Never a great jumber but a truly original and strong performer, recycling the stroking, speed and elegance, which made her part of the best pairs teamever

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you're asking a lot of G/G fans to be "objective" LOL

they were the best. they are what every pairs team strives to be. perfection would be how I describe them... the very way they connected was so special.

Katia said in her book that Sergei didn't always enjoy skating, but you can't tell with the way his facial expressions were... he may not have liked having to skate, but you could tell he loved skating with her.

Katia skates with an open passion that I think is a result of having to skate alone. compared to the "sheltered" Katia of pairs skating she's less reserved in her skating now

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
"Gordeeva and Grinkov had a magical symbiosis that just can't be taught. They had an unnatural ability to know exactly how their partner was moving without even looking which made their pair synchronicity flawless. Combine that with the depth of their artistry and attention to detail, and one must conclude that this was the greatest pair of all time. We may never see a pair as perfectly matched as G & G again."

In regards to Katia specifically, "I dare anyone to watch Katia Gordeeva skate and not feel effected. The simplest of programs can make one smile or even feel much inner peace. While she lacks the jumping ability of a singles skater, she is the perfect little ballerina on ice, reminiscent of all that figure skating was intended to be."

katweige

Rinkside
It would take me too long to say all these great things about G&G that have already been said. However, I do want to say that I am continually amazed that people still talk about G&G and compare everyone else to them. I think that is the best representation of their effect on the skating world. They are legends, and they will continue to be what every pair strives for even if in twenty years pairs are doing quintuple throws!

SkatingFan94

Rinkside
Simply the gold standard

No one even comes close or probably ever will to the perfection they had. I always found it amazing that even when they were young and the size difference was so huge they could match each other stride for stride every single time.
Thier 1988 Olympic short program was tech the best ever! There was never anything out of place and as for Lillehammer I think Tracy Wilson said it best: "They were the only professionals to come back and actually win a gold medal and it was probably the best pairs even I've ever seen."

"perfection"
"smooth as silk"

I only wish I'd become a figure skating fan sooner so I could have enjoyed them more....

icewriter

Spectator
"If you're a pairs skating coach all you have to do is show your students a tape of one of their long programs and say, 'that's how it's done'." - Scott Hamilton

As for Katia's solo performances. No, she doesn't have the jumps, but no one can match her beauty and grace on the ice.