Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Can Yuzuru Hanyu close the gap on Patrick Chan?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's a good program, and the elements were very well executed, but he performed it like a junior coming up out of the ranks (which of course, he was at the time).

He didn't at all perform like a Junior, dude. His understanding of the music and his movement was far beyond a Junior and far beyond most other Senior competitors as well. Just look at his 3Lutz-2Toe combination at Worlds and how he is slightly off on the Lutz, but then goes on to add the combination with arms over his head and HOLDS his arms exactly in time with the music and then does turns and releases his arms with wonderful lyricism. Hanyu's program is filled with these moments and he excels not only with the introspective ones like this, but also with the fiery and explosive passages.

I've never seen Patrick Chan do a competitive performance with that level of emotion and unity with the music, nor that level of range. Patrick's basic skating ability is so phenomenal that it generates excitement and interest on its own, but the way he uses his body is comparatively limited and his movement rarely feels like it is something he NEEDS to express and that he is driven by the music to express. He just doesn't have that artistic desire. I think he has definitely been trying hard to become a performer, but there are things you just can't teach. You have to be born with it or have life experiences that give you the insight/stimulus.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

yyyskate

Record Breaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPSfJ1KMaUw <-- 7:28, on that 2Lz, I can sort of see what people mean by the pick is more onto the flat of the blade than other skaters' lutzes. I think for all intents and purposes it's a lutz, though as he's not pushing off the flat of the blade, he's vaulting off of the leg picking in.
as I understand a LUTZ jump, the picking leg is an assisting leg, the weight should not be transferred 100% to the picking leg. the left(jumping leg)also plays an important role in lutz jump.

yaya124

On the Ice
Jeez, I knew this would happen. Anyway, as long as the judges would regard Plushenko's Luz as Luz, it is enough. Whether other people would have doubt is irrelevant.

Please do not drag fights from other boards to Golden Skate. We are here to discuss skating, not each other.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
as I understand a LUTZ jump, the picking leg is an assisting leg, the weight should not be transferred 100% to the picking leg. the left(jumping leg)also plays an important role in lutz jump.

The left leg is for stability, but for most lutzes, the weight almost full transfers to the picking leg and there's a split second when the left foot is rising up into the air while the picking leg is planted into the ice to vault the skater up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21woRiBqrks -- at 6:30 I think it's apparent why people compare it to a loop. I never noticed that before... his right foot is turned so inwards when he picks, and indeed, it looks like he's on an outside edge as he's taking off.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
He didn't at all perform like a Junior, dude. His understanding of the music and his movement was far beyond a Junior and far beyond most other Senior competitors as well. Just look at his 3Lutz-2Toe combination at Worlds and how he is slightly off on the Lutz, but then goes on to add the combination with arms over his head and HOLDS his arms exactly in time with the music and then does turns and releases his arms with wonderful lyricism. Hanyu's program is filled with these moments and he excels not only with the introspective ones like this, but also with the fiery and explosive passages.

I've never seen Patrick Chan do a competitive performance with that level of emotion and unity with the music, nor that level of range. Patrick's basic skating ability is so phenomenal that it generates excitement and interest on its own, but the way he uses his body is comparatively limited and his movement rarely feels like it is something he NEEDS to express and that he is driven by the music to express. He just doesn't have that artistic desire. I think he has definitely been trying hard to become a performer, but there are things you just can't teach. You have to be born with it or have life experiences that give you the insight/stimulus.

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it. Hanyu's arms in particular were rather sloppy in the second half, not to mention, he fell while stroking around and it clearly winded the poor guy and disrupted the program (though I do love how some ubers are like "It went with the music/It went with the whole fragility of Romeo", just like people saying things like "Kostner's falls at Worlds went with the music" :rolleye:).

My phrasing should have been "he performed it like a skater just coming out of the junior ranks" (although I suppose you'd still disagree with me). It was still artistic and very well-executed, but certainly not one of the best artistic performances as some are saying it is (that disruptive fall in particular saw to that).

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

spikydurian

Medalist
While according to Chanbots like yourself Chan's numerous falls that supposably "deservedly" (snickers) win gold medals over cleaner performances must show "amazing skating skills, the manner of the falls still showed such great blade control, style, elegance, and was done with such speed and class." You are the biggest hypocrite ever to be daring to mock people not paying enough credence to falls by Kostner or Hanyu. Truly laughable beyond words.
IMO, when it comes to Mocking and Crystal Ball gazing, PTF reigns supreme. Truly unbeatable. ;)

BlackPack

Medalist
While according to Chanbots like yourself Chan's numerous falls that supposably "deservedly" (snickers) win gold medals over cleaner performances must show "amazing skating skills, the manner of the falls still showed such great blade control, style, elegance, and was done with such speed and class." You are the biggest hypocrite ever to be daring to mock people not paying enough credence to falls by Kostner or Hanyu. Truly laughable beyond words.

:laugh::thumbsup:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Thoughts on Finlandia Short?

just expressed my love of Finlandia short on fanfest. absolutely love it. I wound not worry about that popped 3A that much.
Those little changes in choreography are all genius (including that "sexy" move, i think it is choreography not wardrobe malfunction :p)
because of these changes, Yuzu's interpretation is better that last season, every move right on! Amazing musicality!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Maybe Javier Fernandez is the one who will close the gap on Patrick and not Yuzuru. :eek: But aren't Patrick and Yuzuru skating against each other in both of their GPs? So we will see them facing each other 2 times early in the season. I guess, we won't have to wait long until we get the answer.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

The difference being I still acknowledge and appreciate the artistry and choreography of Hanyu and Kostner (even calling her arguably the most artistic skater in the women's field). You hate on Chan's skating overall and have some deluded sense that he will be disregarded and vilified when that's obviously just your own hate-on. I've also said that in some instances where Chan has fallen he didn't deserve to win, which differs from your not-even-accurate flaming that he can win with 5 falls (when he has never done so). You have said crap about many skaters and like to fling muck just for the hell of it, and have this pretense that your predictions are pristine (which of course they aren't). Calling me a hypocrite is pretty hilarious coming from your glass house. ;)

Mao88

Record Breaker
Great win today by Hanyu in the GPF. He is catching Chan fast, and has a very good chance of winning the Olympic title in Sochi.

In the GPF, Yuzuru regained the SP world record with a score of 99.84 (1.32 points better than Chan's best of 98.52), his FS score (with mistakes) of 193.41 was only 3.34 behind Chan's word record score of 196.75, and his combined score of 293.25 was just 2.02 behind Chan's word record score of 295.27. There really is not much of a gap now. To win the Olympic title, Chan cannot afford to produce anything less than his best, should Hanyu produce his best.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Great win today by Hanyu in the GPF. He is catching Chan fast, and has a very good chance of winning the Olympic title in Sochi

and Russia is a lucky soil for him to compete too
first GP gold medal and first GPF medal he won ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

This is a pretty rich comment to make when Hanyu wins a freeskate over a clean Chan, in spite of a fall. :sarcasm: I wonder if you feel Chan was robbed of the LP win, but since you hate Chan, I'm sure you're perfectly fine with justifying Hanyu's LP placing higher and monstrous PCS in spite of a fall. At least when Chan has a fall, his PCS goes down, not skyrockets up to a personal best. :rolleye:

Chan falls in his FS at 2012 Worlds and suddenly a clean Dai is robbed of a win; but Hanyu falls in his LP at 2013 GPF, and you probably support his LP win over a clean Chan. :unsure: Talk about hypocrisy! :laugh:

And what are you even talking about? I've never once said that the manner of Chan's falls were elegant; I was criticizing ubers who suggest that their skaters' falls went with the music and criticized judges for not doling out -3's on falls (more -2's than -3's on the 3-3 in Kostner's World SP, for example).

Hanyu's homecooked PCS was outrageous (apparently a clean quad instead of a popped quad is clearly grounds for shooting Hanyu's PCS up from 81.94 at TEB to 92.28 at GPF :rolleye:). However, in spite of Chan being robbed of the LP win, I'm completely fine with Hanyu winning overall at the GPF, due to my acknowledging certain things like Hanyu having a strong SP, Chan having a poor SP, and Chan neglecting to do a 4T-3T in the FS. Unlike certain Chan bashers, I actually look at the competition as a whole instead of neglecting things like a clean SP or other competitors' mistakes and crying foul if Chan/Hanyu happens to fall in the LP and still win overall.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I love Fernandez but wow he is having a tough season. I think even the bronze in Sochi would be an amazing feat for him at this point. Then again we saw Ten pull those performances out of nowhere at Worlds which clearly and beyond reasonable dispute SHOULD have won him the World title last season, so I guess anything is possible, especialy as Fernandez is a better skater than Ten. However I doubt Sochi will be as poorly skated as Worlds last year was.

I don't think Fernandez is a better skater than Ten. Better jumper but better skater-no. Ten has really excellent skating skills and while Fernandez aren't bad they aren't as good as the top eschelon.