Gracie Gold is no longer coachless (now coached by Frank Carroll) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold is no longer coachless (now coached by Frank Carroll)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Isn't it unstated but increasingly being understood that Frank Carroll is likely to only have 2 major skaters to coach through the Grand Prix series? Seems some of the debates are becoming moot unfortunately

We don't know how much Evan is utilizing Frank, though, he could be willing to do as he did when he first started there in LA and travel and work with one of Carroll's minions and then bounce ideas off of him.

But I agree that it doesn't look good for Lysacek's return. Though who knows. Does he NEED to do the GP? He can get the points he needs to qualify at 4CC, right?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan would have to do a B International by November to qualify for Sochi. 4CC is much, much too late.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
You forget that he has Ten as well. Three Grand Prix skaters is a lot. And he already rejected another skater in the past because with Lysacek and Ten he didn't want another skater.

Yes, but was´t that Rippon - a skater with many coaching changes...

SkateFan66

On the Ice
We don't know how much Evan is utilizing Frank, though, he could be willing to do as he did when he first started there in LA and travel and work with one of Carroll's minions and then bounce ideas off of him.

But I agree that it doesn't look good for Lysacek's return. Though who knows. Does he NEED to do the GP? He can get the points he needs to qualify at 4CC, right?

Not only is 4CC too late, the skater has to have earned the minimum TES to qualify for 4CC.

Icey

Record Breaker
An awful lot is being expected of Frank. I don't see this as being a long term partnership or especially successful, considering the nature of Gold's problem, "controlling her nerves". I've never heard that was Frank's area of expertise.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does he NEED to do the GP? He can get the points he needs to qualify at 4CC, right?

For one, he would still need to get the minimum score for 4CC somewhere. For two, 4CC is AFTER the deadline to get the qualifying score for Sochi.

Yes, but was´t that Rippon - a skater with many coaching changes...

I thought it was Wagner...

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
You forget that he has Ten as well. Three Grand Prix skaters is a lot. And he already rejected another skater in the past because with Lysacek and Ten he didn't want another skater.

That's exactly right. I can't see him coaching 3 major players entering Olympic season.

lcd

Match Penalty
An awful lot is being expected of Frank. I don't see this as being a long term partnership or especially successful, considering the nature of Gold's problem, "controlling her nerves". I've never heard that was Frank's area of expertise.

I actually don't think an "awful lot is being expected of Frank"

The "11th hour" nature of this coaching change is clear as day. His "political cred" will already be working in Gracie's favor, so in my opinion, job (at a minimum) 25% accomplished.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just to play devil's advocate: Mishin has three GP/Olympic skaters this season...Plushenko, Gachinski and Tuktamysheva.

Wow, you're right, Karne. And Plushenko and Gachinski are in competition with each other. That must be a dynamic rink right now. I wonder how he allocates his energies. Just a guess, but I imagine that Plushenko doesn't need much of his time right now; Plushy must be practically able to coach himself. What he really needs is someone to make sure he trains wisely so as not to aggravate any injuries, and someone to watch now and then to make sure his jumps haven't gone off-rhythm in some way that needs to be corrected.

Nothing against Gachinski, but I do hope that it's Plushy who gets chosen as the Olympic skater.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Good for Gracie.

I don't think she's ready for the podium, but I think she will be for the next Oly Games. Very excited for her future.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Evan's not done. Frank has Lysacek, Ten, and Gracie. Frank is perfectly capable of doing all of this and he has help. Enough said.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Heh.. I wonder which sport agency is Gracie with?

Congratulations just signed away your % to Frank :p Hope Gracie get tons of endorsement this Olympic season and Uncle Frank get a nice retirement fund out of this.

Gachinski is over rated. Why go for a cheap imitation when you can have the real thing! Go Plushy!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Heh.. I wonder which sport agency is Gracie with?

Congratulations just signed away your % to Frank :p Hope Gracie get tons of endorsement this Olympic season and Uncle Frank get a nice retirement fund out of this.

Gachinski is over rated. Why go for a cheap imitation when you can have the real thing! Go Plushy!!!

She's with IMG, I believe.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Oh yes. That Worlds bronze and Euros silver - a silver many have said should have been gold - are soooo overrated. :rolleye:

Icey

Record Breaker
Evan's not done. Frank has Lysacek, Ten, and Gracie. Frank is perfectly capable of doing all of this and he has help. Enough said.

Who helps Frank now? Is Ken back?

I wonder if she will continue to juggle before she competes. Since that didn't seem to work, I would guess not, unless it has just become a habit.

Binthere

On the Ice
Gracie is doing very well on the endorsement front. Especially considering she has only competed for a single season on the senior level. It certainly helps that this is an Olympic year, and thus, there are actually endorsements to be designated to athletes such as skaters. Otherwise, I would think she would need a few more actual credentials or championship titles. Her only championship titles at this point (after 2 years of competing internationally - one junior, one senior) is a 2011 Junior Grand Prix event, and the 2012 US Ladies Junior Championship.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh yes. That Worlds bronze and Euros silver - a silver many have said should have been gold - are soooo overrated. :rolleye:

I can't comment on the Euro Silver, but I was there to witness his world 'bronze'. I admit I was already underwhelmed with his COP cookie cutter program to begin with, and was even less impressed with seeing him live. I remember being far more impressed with Patrick Chan at skating shows years before (it was butter and silk...no falls, mind you), even before he became a world champion. I was also more impressed seeing his countryman Menshov live in Dortmand last year. it is like watching a boy wanna be/pretender vs a proper mature man.

For things I am passionate about (music/art/theatre) I will always try to make an effort to see/experience things live for myself and trust my eyes and guts more than any 3rd hand information or popular opinion, or even judge's marks. I sometimes disagree with them, it is nothing personal. I have figured his bronze then was down politics that favoured him that year and was not surprised he didn't do well since. Figure skating world owes Moscow big time that year for bailing Japan out of the hosting duties, and it is a nice bonus for them. Almost every skater from powerful federations may have experience 'benefit in kind' sort of gifts through out their career. But really it is the longevity and the consistency of their performances in other territories outside their own home speaks volumes of their real worth and talent. Just my opinion of course.