Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kim Yuna will not compete this GP season

cosmos

On the Ice
I don't think Yuna was ever that keen on competing in the Grand Prix again. Now she can do a repeat of last year without people giving her flack about being too lazy or arrogant to compete. Plus that opens up two spots for other skaters whom I'm sure will be estatic to receive them. Not that I doubt that she's really injured, and it's good that they're being cautious. I've actually broken a metatarsal before and skating on it was definitely challenging even after a couple months. I really was looking forward to seeing her programs though.

I think she has to submit medical report to ISU. No?

thinspread

On the Ice
I think she has to submit medical report to ISU. No?

Yes. I believe her federation took care of that when they notified ISU.

It's disappointing she can't participate in Grand Prix events, but I appreciate her for making it official early and giving the substitute participants enough time for preparation.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Do some of you really only buy Tickets if Yuna is there? What about the other skaters? You dont care about the other programs?

I find that a bit sad, they all give their best and deserve your support. :(

Going to any sporting event is an expensive endeavor. There's the cost of the tickets, of course, and you have to pay for transportation, and lodging & food if you're out of town.

Why should anybody have to go to an event featuring skaters they are content to watch on TV v. a skater they really really want to see live in person? It's their money and time, so they're entitled to spend it in any way they choose without you judging them, no?

Bompard DOES seem like Wagner's to lose.

The foot injury hopefully does not sound too serious. Rather, she is being prudent.

I agree with the assessment. There's no point in pushing it and making it worse before Sochi.

Also I think it's nice of her to WD so early so that substitutes can get and get some Sr. GP experience.

RABID

Final Flight
The injured foot is her landing foot and toe-picking foot for Lutz/Flip, so it could be due to over training those jumps and triple-triples. Given that the solo 3Lz, the 3Lz+3T and the 3F are her "money" jumps, they probably get the most attempts in training, but those jumps really stress the foot she just injured.

In retrospect it now seems really smart for her to have begun her comeback last season, not only to grab the 3 spots and re-establish her reputation, but to guard against a set-back like this. Had she come back only this season and ramped up training very rapidly and intensely, she might have suffered the same injury (or worse) but without having competed at all in the prior season.

As long as she recovers within the expected time, she still has time to train and prepare for competitions later in the season, particularly Sochi. This may mean another Senior B or two, and Korean Nationals. 4CC is also possible but being so close to the Olympics, it's still unlikely.

That is definitely a silver lining to this setback. It didn't occur to me but you are right about how and when she came back which begs the question, how long is too long? Still, as it all stands now this could be eerily reminiscent of this past worlds competition.
So will this mean she will once again find her self back in the pack for her short program? That worked out good and bad for her. Oh well, more Olympic drama does at least make for good television (as well as ulcers).:)

Krislite

Medalist
That is definitely a silver lining to this setback. It didn't occur to me but you are right about how and when she came back which begs the question, how long is too long? Still, as it all stands now this could be eerily reminiscent of this past worlds competition.
So will this mean she will once again find her self back in the pack for her short program? That worked out good and bad for her. Oh well, more Olympic drama does at least make for good television (as well as ulcers).:)

No, I don't think she'll find herself in the same disadvantage in the SP as last season. She's coming into to Sochi as the reigning Olympic and World champion, and I'm pretty sure every judge has seen the results of 2013 Worlds.

And you may yet still get to watch her live. She may do another Senior B later this year, which are mostly in Europe. I figured if you could make it to TEB, then a Senior B in Europe would be doable, too? (And probably cheaper than Paris!).

TryMeLater

On the Ice
No, I don't think she'll find herself in the same disadvantage in the SP as last season. She's coming into to Sochi as the reigning Olympic and World champion, and I'm pretty sure every judge has seen the results of 2013 Worlds.

And you may yet still get to watch her live. She may do another Senior B later this year, which are mostly in Europe. I figured if you could make it to TEB, then a Senior B in Europe would be doable, too? (And probably cheaper than Paris!).

The only senior B's in Europe after TEB are the NRW trophy (which she won last season) in Germany, and the Golden spin in Croatia, and I believe they are held at the same dates.
I think that going to NRW again can do a lot of good to her confidence.

RABID

Final Flight

Tell me when and where and I'll start making plans. How early do you think she would make such a decision public?

RABID

Final Flight
The only senior B's in Europe after TEB are the NRW trophy (which she won last season) in Germany, and the Golden spin in Croatia, and I believe they are held at the same dates.
I think that going to NRW again can do a lot of good to her confidence.

OMG That 2012 NRW venue held what, 3,000 people? I hope she does go however and we find out soon. (and perhaps the organizers will be savvy enough to figure out a larger arena might be something to seriously consider)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna is going to need to do some events before the Olympics if she wants to win. Sitting out the whole year didn't work out in 2011 and the competition is going to be much stronger in Sochi.

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna is going to need to do some events before the Olympics if she wants to win. Sitting out the whole year didn't work out in 2011 and the competition is going to be much stronger in Sochi.

I'm pretty sure she's learned a big lesson on the difference between 2011 and 2013, but even so, there's no point in competing prematurely if her foot is still not fully recovered. Circumstances may force her to forgo all pre-Sochi competitions. Though I'm cautiously optimistic she'll recover in time.

Krislite

Medalist
Tell me when and where and I'll start making plans. How early do you think she would make such a decision public?

I have no idea. It's all too early at this point. I guess it would be sometime in November before they announce anything.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
All of a sudden I see Gold slipping away if she does not do her program a few times in the A events. But then again, look at her pull off at Worlds. So, she might be nervous in Sochi. I see a thin crack in the door. I almost hope Gold pulls a Mirai and podiums. Yuna will be nervous at Olympics-they all are. Getting more interesting...MK's fracture was worse and remember 98? Only her best ever, so likely YuNa will skate thru foot pain.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Who knows, this could be a blessing in disguise. Better that she backs off now and rests while it's still early than if she were to train at full intensity and risk a more serious injury later in the season. After all, it's been a number of years since her body has had to deal with 6-7 consecutive months of training/competition..

Now that I think about it, Mao has been really lucky in this regard. I don't think I recall her ever having to miss anything due to injury in all her years skating..

Alex D

Record Breaker
OMG That 2012 NRW venue held what, 3,000 people? I hope she does go however and we find out soon. (and perhaps the organizers will be savvy enough to figure out a larger arena might be something to seriously consider)

Outside maybe, inside few hundred.

I honestly hope that NRW will not be so crowded again.

Icey

Record Breaker
Who is replacing her in her gp events? What music is she skating to (I don't think I have seen that anywhere). Why do coaches allow athletes to overtrain and why do athletes do it? They should know when they reach her level the dangers of doing that. Even a small injury can have great ramifications.

Krislite

Medalist
Who is replacing her in her gp events? What music is she skating to (I don't think I have seen that anywhere). Why do coaches allow athletes to overtrain and why do athletes do it? They should know when they reach her level the dangers of doing that. Even a small injury can have great ramifications.

Her SP is to "Send in the Clowns" and her LP music is "Adios Nonino". I don't think a replacement for her GP spots has been named.

As for her injury, Yuna can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to training, doing 6-hours, 6 days a week. Who knows how many run-through's she does and how many triple-triples she practices in a day. Must be a lot. But the injury may also be due in part to the terrible ice rink conditions in Korea, which contributed to her injuries when she trained there before moving to Canada.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doesn't make sense why Yuna would want to train in SK when she could be training in much better conditions elsewhere. She certainly deserves better.

Finnstep

Final Flight

Courtney Hicks(assigned to Skate Canada) and Amelie Lacoste(assigned to TEB) replaced Yu-Na.

thinspread

On the Ice
Doesn't make sense why Yuna would want to train in SK when she could be training in much better conditions elsewhere. She certainly deserves better.

Yes, that could be an option and it worked well before. But she may want to finish her career with her childhood coaches and also want to be with her family, I guess.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Going to any sporting event is an expensive endeavor. There's the cost of the tickets, of course, and you have to pay for transportation, and lodging & food if you're out of town.

Why should anybody have to go to an event featuring skaters they are content to watch on TV v. a skater they really really want to see live in person? It's their money and time, so they're entitled to spend it in any way they choose without you judging them, no?

With skating it's a crapshoot as to who will really show up from the original roster. Planning on going to see just ONE skater is a bad financial decision. It's not a rock concert where the artist WILL show up AS ADVERTISED. Illness, injury, retirement, whatever happens.