Philip Hersh Journalist? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Philip Hersh Journalist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadia01

Final Flight
FWIW, the Yuna Kim/Michael Jordan analogy is apt in Max Aaron's opinion. What he said in his reddit AMA two months ago:

Q: What do you think about the S.Korean goddess, Yuna? Think you could out figure-skate her?

MaxTAaron: She's just on a different level. She could be the Michael Jordan of figure skating right now.

What does Max Aaron know about figure skating? He needs to read what Minze2001 thinks about his ignorant opinion. :p

minze

Medalist
LOL

Seriously? You want to compare Ashley's resume to Yuna's and insist that they're comparable?

Hmm...Let's see...
U

Yuna - 1st female skater to surpass the 140 & 150-pts in LP. 1st female skater to surpass the 200-pt total mark. Never finished off the podium in her entire career (novice, jr & sr). 2 WC gold, 2 WC silver, 2 WC bronze, 3 GPF gold, 1 GPF silver, 1 4CC gold, 1 OGM. Current record holder for SP, LP & combined scores.

Ashley - 0 WC medal, 1 4CC gold, 1 GPF silver

Carolina - She should have a much more impressive resume than Yuna (given her incredibly long competitive history), but she won her 1st WC gold 2 seasons ago. 1 WC gold, 2 WC silver, 2 WC bronze, 5 Euro golds, 2 Euro silver, 1 Euro bronze, 1 GPF gold, 1 GPF silver, 2 GPF bronze. (She did the best in the season when Yuna sat out...)

Akiko Suzuki's resume is also pretty anemic (partly due to her federation not supporting her). 1 WC bronze, 2 4CC silver, 1 GPF silevr, 2 GPF bronze.

Miki -- Making a comeback in and of itself doesn't make you GREAT by default. You have to deliver. Miki hasn't delivered...yet. Also despite her long competitive history, she has 2 WC gold, 1 WC bronze, 1 4CC gold, 1 4CC bronze, 1 GPF silver.

I think they're GOOD athletes, but GREAT athletes? I'm not so sure based on their competitive results.

Where did I compare Yuna's resume to ashley. Stop putting words in my mouth. No I said this sport has more than one great athlete. And if you and Philip think there is only one Great athlete, then ok, but I disagree. And this bad habit of dissmissing peoples's acompliament to point out Yuna Kim is the greatest is not necesary.

LRK

Record Breaker
I greatly hesitate to enter this thread, but...

I personally have no opinion on whether tweets should be held to strict journalistic principles or no - I've quite honestly not given the subject enough thought - but I do think that if TSL's tweets are worthy of such scrutiny, then so are Phil Hersch's... (Some of the debate about whether TSL should be regarded seriously or no having been based on their tweets.) However, I think that his articles should rather be the basis for a debate about his journalistic abilities - I've seen him much criticised in the past for those very articles, but such criticism on this thread seems mostly absent. Again, personally, I can't give an opinion - I read an article or so of his a few years back, didn't like it, and haven't really read many since, so I do not consider myself able to judge on the matter. I do think this could be the subject for an interesting debate - could.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Where did I compare Yuna's resume to ashley. Stop putting words in my mouth. No I said this sport has more than one great athlete. And if you and Philip think there is only one Great athlete, then ok, but I disagree. And this bad habit of dissmissing peoples's acompliament to point out Yuna Kim is the greatest is not necesary.

LOL.

OK. But to compare skaters, you sort of need to look at their resume, no?

FS has more than one GREAT skater. Plushenko (though not in his current form...but he was really amazing when he was younger), Yagudin, Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dick Button, Brian Boitano, etc. But many of them no longer compete (except for Plushy, though I don't think he's ever going to be as great as he used to be). Apparently Phil Hersh thought Yuna is the CURRENTLY COMPETING GREAT from the singles.

I don't think he dismissed anybody's accomplishments. Once they have something that he feels is sufficiently impressive and interesting to his followers, I'm sure he'll mention it when he tweets.

minze

Medalist
LOL.

OK. But to compare skaters, you sort of need to look at their resume, no?

FS has more than one GREAT skater. Plushenko (though not in his current form...but he was really amazing when he was younger), Yagudin, Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dick Button, Brian Boitano, etc. But many of them no longer compete (except for Plushy, though I don't think he's ever going to be as great as he used to be). Apparently Phil Hersh thought Yuna is the CURRENTLY COMPETING GREAT from the singles.

I don't think he dismissed anybody's accomplishments. Once they have something that he feels is sufficiently impressive and interesting to his followers, I'm sure he'll mention it when he tweets.

Yes he did. He is dissmisse of peoples work. His exageration was not worthy of someone who calls himself a jounalist. He is so arrogant that he did not even use three magic words "in my opinion" so is he a journalist or a Yuna fan? Yep Yuna fan. Then stop hidding behind the jounalism label

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Since when did saying that a skater is the greatest skater become dissing other skaters? Come on. This world is not like two sides of a coin.

minze

Medalist
Since when did saying that a skater is the greatest skater become dissing other skaters? Come on. This world is not like two sides of a coin.
Read my post. saying a sport only has one great athlete is rude and dissmive. I never said saying someone is the gratest athlete is wrong. Saying a sport has only great athlete is dissmisive

heyang

Record Breaker
According to dictionary.com:

jour·nal·ist
[jur-nl-ist] Show IPA

noun
1. a person who practices the occupation or profession of journalism.
2. a person who keeps a journal, diary, or other record of daily events.

jour·nal·ism
[jur-nl-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
1. the occupation of reporting, writing, editing, photographing, or broadcasting news or of conducting any news organization as a business.
2. press1 ( def 31 ) .
3. a course of study preparing students for careers in reporting, writing, and editing for newspapers and magazines.
4. writing that reflects superficial thought and research, a popular slant, and hurried composition, conceived of as exemplifying topical newspaper or popular magazine writing as distinguished from scholarly writing: He calls himself a historian, but his books are mere journalism

Definition of a reporter:

re·port·er
[ri-pawr-ter, -pohr-] Show IPA

noun
1. a person who reports.
2. a person employed to gather and report news, as for a newspaper, wire service, or television station.
3. a person who prepares official reports, as of legal or legislative proceedings.

I would not call Hersh a reporter who is supposed to cite only the facts. He really is a journalist as he's writing about his observations on recent events. I view him as a columnist as he often writes about his observations on sports.

Binthere

On the Ice
Phil must be quite bemused by the fuss being made over his credentials ;)

Given this context, perhaps the thread should be renamed to include the question of whether he is also a skating "celebrity"
At a minimum, a "person of renown and/or interest" (criminal nuance intended - heehee) I mean "come on" he had Speedy on speed dial back in 2011

thinspread

On the Ice
Geez.... Shame on you, Hersh!

Given this context, perhaps the thread should be renamed to include the question of whether he is also a skating "celebrity"
At a minimum, a "person of renown and/or interest" (criminal nuance intended - heehee) I mean "come on" he had Speedy on speed dial back in 2011

:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

more like Amused - with all this chatter he's getting more attention and it's just proof to those that employ him that he's still relevant ;)

Binthere

On the Ice
more like Amused - with all this chatter he's getting more attention and it's just proof to those that employ him that he's still relevant ;)

We're probably both correct. I chose "Bemused" as the definition includes "nonplussed" - which I think reflects Phil's baseline "state of mind" when it comes to much in the skating world today; chat boards (which he admits to 'mining' for info) included.

:cool:

TheCzar

On the Ice
I think we all need to reel in our claws people. We all KNOW Phil Hersh is largely biased and its a given that of course he would dub Yu Na Kim the greatest athlete of the sport (paraphrasing..) as she is a favourite of his, but so what? It is one man's opinion.

I agree, that right now yes- Yu Na Kim is the greatest skater of this generation. But in terms of athletic prowess, in this last Olympic quad I would give that honor to Mao Asada. Three triple axels at the Olympics, and still attempting it now- that's serious balls and skill. Yes, Kim has the biggest and loveliest triple lutz-triple toe, but personally for me, the fact that people often take Asada's 3A for granted because it looks so effortless (when landed), is a great indication of her prowess.

But I digress.

Shade or no shade, when it comes to Twitter, Phil Hersh can say whatever he wants. Of course I was annoyed because like most people, taken in the wrong context- he's just decided to discredit the world's elite figure skaters and that is not cool. On the other hand, it's him- take whatever he give with a pinch of salt. It's Twitter you guys- not the Chicago Tribune. When on Twitter, just assume that Phil is a monster to Kim's Lady Gaga (bad analogy, I know and don't bite my head off, but effective!)

minze

Medalist
I think we all need to reel in our claws people. We all KNOW Phil Hersh is largely biased and its a given that of course he would dub Yu Na Kim the greatest athlete of the sport (paraphrasing..) as she is a favourite of his, but so what? It is one man's opinion.

I agree, that right now yes- Yu Na Kim is the greatest skater of this generation. But in terms of athletic prowess, in this last Olympic quad I would give that honor to Mao Asada. Three triple axels at the Olympics, and still attempting it now- that's serious balls and skill. Yes, Kim has the biggest and loveliest triple lutz-triple toe, but personally for me, the fact that people often take Asada's 3A for granted because it looks so effortless (when landed), is a great indication of her prowess.

But I digress.

Shade or no shade, when it comes to Twitter, Phil Hersh can say whatever he wants. Of course I was annoyed because like most people, taken in the wrong context- he's just decided to discredit the world's elite figure skaters and that is not cool. On the other hand, it's him- take whatever he give with a pinch of salt. It's Twitter you guys- not the Chicago Tribune. When on Twitter, just assume that Phil is a monster to Kim's Lady Gaga (bad analogy, I know and don't bite my head off, but effective!)

Agree with you and I should have considered the source. The tweet just seem so rude to me. But you my friend have committed one of the cardinal sins of this board include Mao Asada in a thread that includes Yuna Kim.:laugh:

TheCzar

On the Ice
Agree with you and I should have considered the source. The tweet just seem so rude to me. But you my friend have committed one of the cardinal sins of this board include Mao Asada in a thread that includes Yuna Kim.:laugh:

I know! Apologies! But hey, it always happens both ways and even though I always say that we should refrain from doing so, there I go lol. It just struck me as a little narrow minded of him. I mean, we're picking on technicality here, but whenever I think of Asada and Kim- I will always associate one with pure athleticism and one with complete artistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.