Philip Hersh Journalist? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Philip Hersh Journalist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minze

Medalist
Philip hates Asada I think she stole his puppy:laugh:. I remember after the 4cc when Asada Mao landed that beautiful 3A he wrote article bashing Gracie for not winning paraphrasing. In the article he mentioned how Asada's FS was not perfect and her jumps were sloppy. No where in the article the great journalist mentioned her SP, the fact that it was the season's highest SP so far or that Asada Mao landed her 3A. So yes I used to his bias and awful journalism, but that tweet hit a nerve with me.

ElleluvsL

Rinkside
Back in 2006, Phil actually wrote complimentary articles about Mao full of gushing praise, back in a time when there was so much excitement around her. As I said before, Phil's interest is in whoever is on top and he has no mercy once they fall down for whatever reason. As was already mentioned, he was critical of Yuna's 2011 short program at Worlds where he accused the judges of purposely overscoring her and thought that Miki should've been first (?!) in that segment of the competition as well. He definitely did not endear himself to Yuna's fans at that time, but now that she is firmly back on top he feels comfortable heaping on the praises once again. It's just the way he is and that's why I don't take him too seriously most of the time.

Alex D

Record Breaker
To add something to the current discussion...

I dont think Yuna Kim is Figure Skating, but every athlet is - be it novice, juniors, seniors, adults ... all those make that sport to what it is, no sport is about 1 single person, because who wants to see a competition with just 1 Football Team, Skater, Formula 1 Driver etc?

Because of this I believe that a lot more journalist´s, should also report about those who are not rich, a gold medalist or in any other type very popular. That does not have anything to do with the person this thread is all about, but I still wanted to say it ;)

Kim Yuna is a great Skater and most likely person, I sadly never met myself - but we should all never, ever forget about the others who train as hard, who work as much and who give their best in every competion, just like Yuna Kim does.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Philip hates Asada I think she stole his puppy:laugh:. I remember after the 4cc when Asada Mao landed that beautiful 3A he wrote article bashing Gracie for not winning paraphrasing. In the article he mentioned how Asada's FS was not perfect and her jumps were sloppy. No where in the article the great journalist mentioned her SP, the fact that it was the season's highest SP so far or that Asada Mao landed her 3A. So yes I used to his bias and awful journalism, but that tweet hit a nerve with me.

It is fairly apparent now why you started this thread. More like you have a problem with 'Philip' to begin with for years and have resort to take this opportunities to nit pick over an impulsive tweet. Wow, to have the audacity to act morally superior then accuse him of being a Yuna fan is kinda pathetic and ludicrous.

Sour grapes makes very poor whine. A deceptive one risks turning toxic. Take antidote while you can. Rewatch Yuna Kim OGM skates 10 times and comprehend. :laugh:

bara1968

On the Ice
I think Philip Hersh himself will certainly laugh hard to be called as Yuna fan. Also I do not think that he necessarily hates certain skater at all. Minze you mentioned Mao in 4cc right? When Yuna first showed her clean les mis in nationals with 145, what Philip did was pointing out her mistake in SP rather than only focusing on praising her success via his tweet. Certainly not typical bot's reaction:biggrin: Of course he praised Yuna a lot after WC just as many other journalists did... I bet he is rather fan of clean performances, glorious/flawless win than any certain skater. He will praise Mao if she gets to show her full potential, without URs in jumps. :)

minze

Medalist
It is fairly apparent now why you started this thread. More like you have a problem 'Philip' to begin with for years and have resorted to take this opportunities to nit pick over an impulsive tweet. Wow, to have the audacity to act morally superior then accuse him of being a Yuna fan is kinda pathetic and ludicrous.

Sour grapes makes very poor whine. A deceptive one risks turning toxic. Take antidote while you can. Rewatch Yuna Kim OGM skates 10 times and comprehend. :laugh:

Wow you can read my mind? What am I thinking right know? You do not know anything about me so . Also, please stop addressing me because I have a problem with the condescending way you post. You have a way of making your posts personal attacks and I am not willing to engage you. So you know this a message board about figure skating and people post about that. So stating my opinion about sports writer who writes about the subject is not whining

Puchi

On the Ice
Minze2001: Philip Hersh Journalist? Why is this man calling himself a journalist. No insight, objectivity or intelligent analysis he is lazy.

Philip Hersh: Please stop addressing me because I have a problem with the condescending way you post.

minze

Medalist
Minze2001: Philip Hersh Journalist? Why is this man calling himself a journalist. No insight, objectivity or intelligent analysis he is lazy.

Philip Hersh: Please stop addressing me because I have a problem with the condescending way you post.

really? Posting my opinion in message board about a public person merits me being personally attack by another poster. And that is how you respond?

Blades of Passion said:
What he writes hardly compels many people to read.

Sadly, that may be true. When Hersh retires the Trib will not hire anyone new to cover figure skating and that will be that.

Although...after Jo-Anne Barnas left the Detroit Free Press they turned Olympic sports over to general staff writer Jeff Seidel. He does not know much about skating, but he is taking the responsibility seriously and reports in a straightforward way without condescension.

I miss the days when there was a big picture of Michelle Kwan in the papers after every skating event.

Edited to add picture from the golden age of figure skating journalism. :)

http://www.jumpingfrog.com/images/epm12sep26/zz7479a.jpg

Last edited:

CarneAsada

Medalist
Wow you can read my mind? What am I thinking right know? You do not know anything about me so . Also, please stop addressing me because I have a problem with the condescending way you post. You have a way of making your posts personal attacks and I am not willing to engage you. So you know this a message board about figure skating and people post about that. So stating my opinion about sports writer who writes about the subject is not whining

But we all knew Phil Hersh was an idiot from the beginning. Why bother making a new thread about it? If one created a new thread for every dumb thing he said, then this forum would be a cesspool clogged with pointless complaints about a pointless man. At least raise the bar to "articles" instead of "tweets."

As I said before, Phil's interest is in whoever is on top and he has no mercy once they fall down for whatever reason...It's just the way he is and that's why I don't take him too seriously most of the time.

It's not the way Phil Hersh is, it's the way sportswriting is. Last year the San Francisco Giants won the World Series, this year they're bums.

minze

Medalist
But we all knew Phil Hersh was an idiot from the beginning. Why bother making a new thread about it? If one created a new thread for every dumb thing he said, then this forum would be a cesspool clogged with pointless complaints about a pointless man. At least raise the bar to "articles" instead of "tweets."

Agree, but I usually don't have an issue with his articles because he is entitle to his opinion. So, it is ok of him to love who he loves and dislike who dislikes, but saying this sport only has Great Athlete is too much even for him.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Agree, but I usually don't have an issue with his articles because he is entitle to his opinion. So, it is ok of him to love who he loves and dislike who dislikes, but saying this sport only has Great Athlete is too much even for him.

Don't have an issue with his articles? Really? What about your first post on this page? He's put out nastier drivel than this in many an article, so I don't understand you'd say this suddenly crosses your arbitrary set line. Again, he is entitled to his opinion. If Mao spends this season landing 8 triples in her free skates, I'm sure Phil will be singing her praises and calling her God's gift to skating too.

minze

Medalist
Don't have an issue with his articles? Really? What about your first post on this page? He's put out nastier drivel than this in many an article, so I don't understand you'd say this suddenly crosses your arbitrary set line. Again, he is entitled to his opinion. If Mao spends this season landing 8 triples in her free skates, I'm sure Phil will be singing her praises and calling her God's gift to skating too.

Yes this crosses the line for me because like I keep repeating this sport does not only have one great athlete

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Yes this crosses the line for me because like I keep repeating this sport does not only have one great athlete

I understand how Mao fans may be upset, but, I would cut Phil some slack on this one.

Right now, in all of sports, I think there is only one other athlete who is dominating the competition like Yuna has -- Usain Bolt.

When Usain is on, it's not only the fact that everyone is fighting for second place, but it is the margin of victory -- the difference between 1st and 2nd, that is truly impressive.

Yuna is just like that. She won 2013 Worlds by the largest margin of victory since COP was adopted, ditto for Olympics. Who else wins a competition regularly by 20+, 30+ points? When she is on, Yuna makes mockery of competition.

If a "figure skating fan" doesn't recognize this, then he/she must not be a figure skating fan. Because, seriously, if a skater from Japan or US has been destroying the competition like Yuna has since 2009, and Phil made the same tweet, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I am sooooo upset that we won't be able to witness Yuna's skating again until probably next year....

minze

Medalist
this thread has ran its course. nothing else to say. And some people want go make into a Mao vs Yuna war and we have enough of those.

this thread has ran its course. nothing else to say. And some people want go make into a Mao vs Yuna war and we have enough of those.

Nothing else to say because you kept repeating the same thing after all of the others pointed out lack of reasoning and merit in your statement(not stantements, just one statement that you absolutely insisted to be the only truth/logic) in many ways.

minze

Medalist
Nothing else to say because you kept repeating the same thing after all of the others pointed out lack of reasoning and merit in your statement(not stantements, just one statement that you absolutely insisted to be the only truth/logic) in many ways.

Apologies. You are right and I am wrong. Apologies for been so illogical and having an opinion about something about the sport this forum is about: confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.