(1) Michelle Kwan + (2) the Shibutanis: Google+ Hangouts on Tue Oct 1 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

(1) Michelle Kwan + (2) the Shibutanis: Google+ Hangouts on Tue Oct 1

Binthere

On the Ice
Maia and Alex were so wonderful! They have really set themselves up for doing the best program they can (working with MJ's own choreographers!). Very exciting...this seems like it could be their best FD since 2011 Worlds. They also have such incredible drive to make it to the Olympics, which is evident in their faces when Boudia talked about Beijing, they can make a comeback as the US's 2nd team of choice.
Talking about their ShibSibs channel and hanging out with other skaters really brings a smile to my face. Especially when Alex talked about meeting the London gymnasts--very-down-to-earth, haha.
I'm extremely excited!!!:agree:

In my opinion, Maia and Alex have done an exceptional job of making themselves approachable to fans. I think this will not just be limited to skating fans in the future. And yes, I certainly recognize that there are plenty of haters as well.

The skating world is so full of fantasy, mystery, history and in ice dance, frankly, weirdness. I realize the "drama" is a part of the attraction for many, but at the same time we are all witness to how out of touch the sport has become with essentially the majority of the general public. I do believe that their fresh personalities and obvious intelligence, combined with their stated desire to perform programs which will hopefully put a positive face on the sport to a wider audience. I also hope Alex will be healthy this season and that they can put their best "skates" forward.

In their own words from the thoughtful music announcement posted to their website.

http://maiaandalex.com/2013-2014-program-announcement/

"... the Olympics present moments that bring the entire world together. While our skating community is relatively small, once every four years, skaters have the opportunity to perform and create a shared moment, with the world as their audience..." They designed their programs "With the goal of presenting a program that anyone in the world watching could understand, appreciate, and enjoy"

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan: In The Broadcast Booth

Mini-excerpts:

Among the figure skaters Kwan met with during the summit for sit-down interviews were ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White, men’s national champion Max Aaron and women’s competitors Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold. ....

Kwan ... clearly came to the summit prepared, having a list of questions ready for each skater. Kwan said she spent plenty of time reviewing YouTube videos of skaters’ recent competitions.

Love the YouTube comment. Kwan is just like us. ;) :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I believe this media day is mainly to give the athletes who will be in the public eye in the next few months some practice in being interviewed, isn't that right? Maybe they also want to give the rookie interviewers a chance to practice, too.

Will the public get to see these interviews?

My assumption is that the interviews will be broadcast eventually ... but most likely not until Jan or Feb -- right before or during the Olympics.

My understanding of the concept of the media summit is that many of the interviews recorded there will be used for bkgd pieces introducing athletes right before they are shown competing ("fluff"-type pieces).
So the interviews at the summit were the "real deal," AFAIK -- and not just "practice" for the athletes or for the interviewers.

And in the same way that US Figure Skating produced video montages with all the skaters at the SLC Classic addressing the same topic (embarrassing moments; celebrity crushes; and wish lists for program music), I can imagine that Media Outlet X asked the same Question Y (for example, What do you eat on the day of competition?) to all the athletes at the media summit and will weave many of the answers into a single fluff piece or article that will be saved until the Games are imminent or in full swing.

ETA:
In the case of the skaters, some of the media summit material also could be used at the time of Boston Nationals. The day-in-the-life-in-Park-City story about Max Aaron said that one of his interviews was with the Boston Globe, in preparation for its coverage of Nats.​