Polina Edmunds = better than Gracie? And best USA lady by far?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds = better than Gracie? And best USA lady by far??

RABID

Final Flight
Well, that was lovely!

She still has a bit of "coltish" look, but what a wonderful prospect!

You can't always judge by video, but her jumps looked big. And a sense of musicality!

Alexandra Proklova, Karen Chen, Polina Edmunds; a second golden generation? :popcorn:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What I noticed is how straight she is in the air when she does her triple jumps. She is a very nice skater with some impressive jumps. Yes, Gracie's jumps are bigger but Polina should be able to make up the difference in GOE with higher PCS (if the judges mark what they see on the ice rather than reputation).

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I see young Caro, gangly, and Makarova. If I did not know, I would guess she was Russian. Very lovely indeed. Yes, USA still has young talents. We'd have many more if they could afford the training money or recoup it in a pro career. There is competition for third spot indeed!

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
She looks very into the ice and confident in her edges and steps, and thus makes it look easy. I love the choreography and expression. Very impressive!

Mirunna

Record Breaker
She is amazing, I remember seeing a video of her when she was much more younger and she was adorable.
She reminds me of Carolina Kostner. Lovely arms and posture. Her jumps can be good but can also be sloppy (like in her first GP).
I really hope she goes to senior nationals, she deserves the chance to at least try and qualify for Sochi. The third spot is wide open IMO.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's great that the US has all these promising young skaters to push one another.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I do think she's better than Gracie in terms of an overall package, Gold's jumps are bigger but that's expected because she has a sturdier and more muscular build, but in terms of grace, artistry, interpretation, and even spins, Polina is better IMO. Polina is very fast across the ice just like Gracie. In a few years, I definitely think Polina could be top dog in the US, provided she doesn't grow too tall, but her build and jumping style is a lot like Kostner, and Kostner can sure jump even though she's tall so Edmunds can likely do the same. I agree with people saying Gracie won't be left at home this Olympics, even though I find Polina much more enjoyable to watch, but I do think Polina could sneak in and get the 3rd spot. She's probably not the USFSA's first choice in the 3rd spot winner, but if she hits the jumps, which she has been doing quite consistently as of late, and the other girls in contention don't - and that's hardly a big if considering those ladies are Zawadzki, Nagasu, Czisny, and Gao (she was pretty consistent last season but wasn't trying Polina's level of content), then I think she could make it. Definitely one to watch in the future. Her limbs are so long but she uses them so gracefully. She may LOOK gangly but I don't find her skating gawky at all.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Polina actually reminds me a bit of Sarah Hughes during her first year or two at the senior level

RABID

Final Flight
Look what Carolina Kostner can do with her long limbs and body. Am I wrong to think Polina reminds me of her? And Polina is starting to understand the natural advantage her body type gives her. As for her age, I don't think she has to worry about any growth spurt problems waiting to happen either; she looks like her body could still fill out but that is something one expects with older teens; not younger and mid teens.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think what strikes me most about Polina is her edges... she's got lovely flow across the ice, and when she does transitions, there's usually little ambiguity about the types of turns she's doing. She's also doing some of the harder transitions I've seen, which is nice to see from someone relatively out of the junior ranks. I'd still say Gracie's jumps are much better at this point in time.

Still way too early to say how Edmunds will turn out because her consistency isn't superb, but she's certainly one to watch.

SkatingFun

Rinkside
Just watched this one on Youtube: I have to admit this is the most beautiful and a clean FS with needed difficulty for Oly year from US ladies I watched on youtube so far for season. She has very nice edge and followed music beautifully.

Wish she continues doing well for rest of the season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Look what Carolina Kostner can do with her long limbs and body. Am I wrong to think Polina reminds me of her? And Polina is starting to understand the natural advantage her body type gives her. As for her age, I don't think she has to worry about any growth spurt problems waiting to happen either; she looks like her body could still fill out but that is something one expects with older teens; not younger and mid teens.

She reminds me of Carolina too, not just the body type but also her speed across the ice, carriage, and musicality. And I agree about the growth, she's 15 and looking at her she already had the big upward spurt already, so at this point she's likely to grow maybe another inch or two and then just fill out, which given how lanky she is now is unlikely to cause her any issues and may even help her jumps/URs. She also has a pretty nice technique on her jumps, it's pretty linear and she's working with Frank Carroll sometimes now so it will likely improve with time. I don't see many weaknesses in her skating, the URs come and go, but she's usually consistent in landing the jumps, has the technical difficulty to be at the top, strong spins and flexibility, ideal body type and good control of her limbs, elegance and dance training, strong edges and difficult, well-executed footwork. She also has that sassy personality and it-factor that allows her to perform well and genuinely, something which Gracie definitely doesn't have naturally. Also, Polina is soft in her movements instead of stiff, and she has an excellent back and keeps her shoulders down. I think she could very well shake things up at Nationals this season and make things very interesting...

Polina FTW :biggrin: