Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael got only 0.41 less than Alissa and would have beaten her by quite a bit if she hadn't popped the lutz. Rachael did get L4 on her step sequence (Alissa got L2).

Rachael has never been able to do a decent layback because of her back problems, but she got L3 and L4 on her other spins.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sort of interesting that Alissa go a 28+ for a program that did not have a single clean triple (and a fall), four points more than Rachael here.

I get it, jumps shouldn't factor into PCS scores, but I'd be interested to see both programs to see what Alissa did to merit much higher PCS.

On the positive side, Rachel got a level 4 in footwork and some decent +GOE. (+1 and +2 one gave +3). The layback seems to be her nemesis.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Rachael has never been able to do a decent layback because of her back problems, but she got L3 and L4 on her other spins.

I've always found it interesting that she has done some pretty nice layback Ina Bauers (especially in her Moulin Rouge gala program at the first WTT, I think, that I can't find a video of anymore), despite the back issues.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, it is 5.44, mrs. P. she's on her way!!!:biggrin:

No, one of the judges gave her a 3.00 in transitions, but 4's and 5s in everything else, so I think it was a typo or something.

gkelly

Record Breaker
No, one of the judges gave her a 3.00 in transitions, but 4's and 5s in everything else, so I think it was a typo or something.

Possibly. Or possibly that judge thought that there weren't many transitions in the program, the quality or difficulty was weak, a lot of the elements were telegraphed, etc. Haven't seen the program, and we're not in that judge's head, so we don't know. But if we want judges to judge the separate components separately, we can't complain when they actually do so.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Was hoping to see a better outing for Rachel.

Me too. However, the goal was achieved, qualify to Sectionals.

However her competition at sectionals will be stiffer. As far as I know, Angela Wang, Caroline Zhang and Vanessa Lam only have byes through regionals and will be at Sectionals. Mirai will have a bye through Nationals thanks to her GP schedule and Polina Edmunds has a bye due to making JGPF.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
We've seen her do at least three different triples this year (3Z, 3F, and 3S) so theoretically she can do at least 5 in an LP. That should be enough to get to nationals at least if she can pull the jumps off.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Rachael got only 0.41 less than Alissa and would have beaten her by quite a bit if she hadn't popped the lutz. Rachael did get L4 on her step sequence (Alissa got L2).

I think trying to spin this as Rachael doing much better than Alissa at this point is kind of disingenuous. Both are clearly struggling with the jumps. Rachael popped a bunch of hers, including a single axel and a single toe loop. While we've seen rachael hit some triples this year (including here) if she can't land more of them in competition she's in big trouble too. In both the short and long program, she only managed to hit 3 total. Compared to Alissa she has quite low PCS. Despite the fact that you can't compare events, I think that their similar scores would still have been similar if they'd been at the same regionals competition. The only difference is that we have confirmation that Rachael can hit triples around 1 try in 3.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think trying to spin this as Rachael doing much better than Alissa at this point is kind of disingenuous. Both are clearly struggling with the jumps. Rachael popped a bunch of hers, including a single axel and a single toe loop. While we've seen rachael hit some triples this year (including here) if she can't land more of them in competition she's in big trouble too. In both the short and long program, she only managed to hit 3 total. Compared to Alissa she has quite low PCS. Despite the fact that you can't compare events, I think that their similar scores would still have been similar if they'd been at the same regionals competition. The only difference is that we have confirmation that Rachael can hit triples around 1 try in 3.

I agree with that assessment. I don't think one is better than the other. By all accounts they are even. Rachael has the edge in the triple count, but Alissa is maintaining higher PCS despite the lack of them. As i noted elsewhere, I'll reserve my judgement about the PCS gap until I actually see the programs.

We'll have another data point on Rachael sooner than later in Nice, which is next weekend. Short program is Saturday, Oct. 26.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Rachael earned 49.82 in SP at regionals. Through nine skaters, she's in first place.

First place is good, but the other competing ladies don´t consist of skaters who have been seen at Worlds competitions, do they? I will be rooting for her in Nice.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Rachael was 6th at her last nationals and looked incredibly out of shape. I doubt she is going to be any higher than that after taking a year off.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I saw Rachel live in San Jose and she looked great...she was the only skater to get a standing O (partial) outside of the final group...and to be honest I thought her long should have been 3rd.