Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice | Golden Skate

Flatt comeback plans-- heading to Cup of Nice

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Per Lynn Rutherford:
2010 U.S. champion Rachael Flatt is entered in Cup of Nice, Oct. 23-27. Kira Baga; LengLeduc; CalalangSidhu of U.S. also entered.

I guess something should go into the Cup of Nice thread. Not clear if this gives her a bye through either regional or sectionals. Probably just a way for her to get the minimal TES scores.

Also isn't the competition that Alissa was looking to do?

ETA: I have posted a separate thread for Cup of Nice in the Senior B folder.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I don't "think" this gives her a bye since there are 8 days between the end of Central Pacific Regionals and the start of Cup of Nice. Rachael recently switched clubs so she is now in Central Pacific Region. What Sylvia told me on another board was that generally there are byes when the events are within 7 days of each other. I suppose, though, that exception can be made. I think your guess is correct and it is a way for Rachael to earn the minimal TES scores.

Cup of Nice was mentioned by Alissa's coach Jason D. as being talked about. He didn't specify, as far as I remember, who was doing the talking - Alissa, USFSA, or ISU. Apparently Alissa isn't competing at Cup of Nice since she isn't listed. She must be competing at Eastern Great Lakes Regionals.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Go Rachael!! :popcorn: (I frankly don't think that she actually has any Olympic shot, but it would be nice to see her skating well again)

Krislite

Medalist
Is she taking a break from Stanford this semester? It would seem rather ambitious to go for both a comeback and continue her studies at the same time. But, best of luck to her.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Is she taking a break from Stanford this semester? It would seem rather ambitious to go for both a comeback and continue her studies at the same time. But, best of luck to her.
I think it depends on her goal: if she wants to make it to the Olympics, she should definitely take a break, if she just wants to skate, try her best and nothing else (what she did during the last couple of seasons) she shouldn't...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

didn't a recent article posted here a month or so ago have her saying she's taking a full load?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think it depends on her goal: if she wants to make it to the Olympics, she should definitely take a break, if she just wants to skate, try her best and nothing else (what she did during the last couple of seasons) she shouldn't...

I am sure she knows she has NO shot at the Olympics. So there would be no point taking a break. She is doing this just for fun and to enjoy being at NAtionals one last time if she can qualify.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Just curious, if she doesn't get a bye what would be the purpose of getting a qualifying score?

She can go to regionals and sectionals, qualify for Nationals, and then if she places high enough at Nationals she might be assigned to Four Continents, Worlds, or Olympics (in that order of likelihood).

But she would need to have met the ISU minimum score in order to compete at any of those events.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
What's wrong with having fun?
Well, if "having fun" means not studying for months, spending a lot of money and dedicating your whole life to skating (because this is basically what she's going to do if she's "taking a full load") when you know that you have 0.0000001% chance to go to the Olympics and all this just because you love skating... well, I wouldn't probably do it!
But, if she can afford it, good for her, and I wish her all the best! If she skates REALLY well, I think that she could go to 4CC or (if some of the Olympic-team members WD) even to Worlds... It would be interesting to see her again in a big event: after all, she's only 21! :yes:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sure she knows she has NO shot at the Olympics. So there would be no point taking a break. She is doing this just for fun and to enjoy being at NAtionals one last time if she can qualify.

I think she thinks she has a shot. And with three spots, she does. It may be small but that doesn't mean it is non-existent.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think she thinks she has a shot. And with three spots, she does. It may be small but that doesn't mean it is non-existent.

The reason I think she has no shot is that the judges can (and likely will) bury her in PCS, even if she skates well.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

No pressure here, she is skating for herself and isn't expecting much
to get an Olympics spot, Im sure she knows, her PCS will be in 5's

macy

Record Breaker
i'm just happy she's coming back, i miss her so much. she's one of my favorite skaters and i miss her joy on the ice.