Jason Brown to compete at Skate America as Lysacek's replacement - per USFS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown to compete at Skate America as Lysacek's replacement - per USFS

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
at least Lysacek didn't pull out in the last week
Congrats Jason, good choice SA

Celine

On the Ice
What's his ISU rank in relation to others in that competitive event? It determines the skate order in the short, right?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What's his ISU rank in relation to others in that competitive event? It determines the skate order in the short, right?

Jason is ranked No. 14.

Ranking of competitors:

3. Daisuke Takahashi
6. Denis Ten
7. Tatsuki Machida
12. Takahiko Kozuka
13. Brian Joubert
14. Jason Brown
19. Alexander Majorov
22. Adam Rippon
24. Max Aaron
30. Artur Gachinski

So all the Americans, including Max Aaron, will likely skate in the first or two groups along with Majorov and Gachinski. The Japanese men, Ten and Joubert will be in group two.

Icey

Record Breaker
Why is Evan wasting our time? Or more correctly why am I wasting my time on Evan?

Because you are choosing to waste it on him ????? Evan has absolutely nothing to do with how you use your time or I use mine.

Icey

Record Breaker
I enjoy watching Jason skate, but his tripe axel is still problematic. At Nel, in the long program one of them was down graded and he only got a small + goe for the other done in combo. He really can't afford to give those points away.

mskater93

Record Breaker
He's just now gaining consistency on it. Give it time. He grew late in the game physically.

noskates

Record Breaker
And in more shocking news, it was announced today that the sky is still blue....

I mean, did anyone believe Evan was going to Skate America?

The more I see Mr Brown skate, the bigger fan of his I become. So this is good news indeed!

Couldn't agree with you more - on ALL points. I'm so happy for Jason and I think he truly has a chance to do well this season. He's young, eager, uber-talented, and he draws the crowd in like no other US male figure skater.

I wouldn't know whether Evan was sincere or not - but I never for a nanosecond thought we'd see him in competition. At least with Jason the US has a chance!!!

eta: I saw Jason land two gorgeous triple axels in a show...........they were solid, he was in control of the jump, and the landings were beautiful. He has the jump. Just needs to execute it consistently. Try to remember the guy is only 18 years old......He has all the time in the world. If not this Olys than obviously the next.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I enjoy watching Jason skate, but his tripe axel is still problematic. At Nel, in the long program one of them was down graded and he only got a small + goe for the other done in combo. He really can't afford to give those points away.

He's just now gaining consistency on it. Give it time. He grew late in the game physically.

In international competition his 3A attempts have been:

JGP Bosphorus SP: 3A<< -GOE (-1.43) =1.87 points
JGP Bosphorus FS: 3a < - GOE (-3.00) =3.00 points)
JGPF SP: 3A -GOE (-0.71) = 7.79 points
JGPF FS: A = zero points
Jr. Worlds SP: 3A + GOE (+0.86) = 9.36 points
Jr. Worlds FS: 3A + GOE (+1) = 9.50 points
Jr. Worlds FS: 3A+2T +GOE (+0.14) = 9.94 points
Nebelhorn Trophy SP: 3A +GOE (+0.86) = 9.36 points
Nebelhorn Trophy FS: 3A+3T +GOE (+0.57) = 13.17 points
Nebelhorn Trophy FS: 3A<< -GOE(-1.50) = 1.80 points

So as far as ratified 3As, he's at 60 percent. As far as ratified 3A + GOE, he's at 50 percent in international competition. However, over two competitions he has been 5/6 (83 percent) getting ratified 3A + GOE, so he's gaining some consistency on it.

I think he's come a long way. JGP Bosphorus was just about a year ago from Nebelhorn (in fact pretty much the same weekend). He went from earning just 4.87 points on his 3A attempts at that JGP to 24.33 in his three 3A attempts at Nebelhorn, including getting a 3A-3T ratified with + GOE for the first time!

That's not bad dice for early in the season.

ETA: Also since Jr. Worlds he's been consistently getting +1s from most of the judges. I agree with noskates assessment, he has the jump it's a matter of executing it. When he has landed it, it has been quite nice. Not Nobunari Oda nice, but nice nonetheless.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason is already more consistent with his 3axel then Adam Rippon has ever been and hopefully it will keep getting stronger. He telegraphs it a bit but not as bad as some other skaters.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason is already more consistent with his 3axel then Adam Rippon has ever been and hopefully it will keep getting stronger. He telegraphs it a bit but not as bad as some other skaters.

And even with telegraphing, he's still trying some difficult entries into it, like the quick spiral into his 3A in his SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt-VoDnF70#t=47s

ETA: Although, I'm not an expert, would that count as an entry since it's not right before the 3A? Would it be more of a moves in the field type of thing?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And don't forget the Ina Bauer-double bracket into 3A-3T in the LP...

babyskate

On the Ice
What about the incredible vertical spiral into a tano 3L. I have never seen anyone do that. Rohene must have had so much fun doing the choreography for Jason. He can do things with his body that most other skaters cannot. It will be an great competition.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That Y-spiral into forward arabesque at the start of his LP in Nebelhorn was absolutely eye-poppingly insane. I mean HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
That Y-spiral into forward arabesque at the start of his LP in Nebelhorn was absolutely eye-poppingly insane. I mean HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

yes, I agree. When I saw it, I gasped!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Jason is developing quite nicely; a new hairstyle might be nice but he has the `FEEL FOR THE ICE. His jumps are getting better and the axel is on schedule.

spikydurian

Medalist
Jason is a delightful skater to watch. Just need a more consistent 3A and possibly quad depending on how his peers like Hanyu, Han Yan, Farris, Kovtun and Ten develop in the next few years. Among these young highly talented lot, Hanyu and Ten stand out among them all though Ten is a wee bit older. Men figure skating continue to be exciting.