Will Ando make the Olympic Team? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Will Ando make the Olympic Team?

Bartek

On the Ice
It wasn't iffy at all. It was a very good Triple Loop, no question. You can see on the replay that even the very tippy top of her toepick is in the air at the 1/4 turn mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSNHk2GcISU . Also, the "1/4 turn mark" is relative to where a skater leaves the ice. She doesn't even take off perpendicular to the side board, she takes off a little bit before that point, which means the "1/4 turn mark" should actually be seen as slightly further back. Jumps also have a natural ride-out of 1/2 rotation on the landing. Look at where her skate is exiting the jump. Even the sound of the landing is correct to my ear!

Her first 3Lo was iffy but I don't believe that one was even more than 1/4 turn either, when you look at where she actually leaves the ice. Callers are supposed to give the benefit of the doubt. Of course, if they don't properly measure where a jump actually begins, then they are going to be off. They basically just call jumps as < when they see a skid on the landing, which is not correct. Jumps can be within the 1/4 and still have some skid on the landing (of course they can be underrotated and still appear smooth on the landing as well).

If Murakami's jumps had been judged as 3Lo+2T with 0 GOE and 3Lo with +1 GOE, and Kostner's 3T in the SP had been called <, the standings actually wouldn't have changed solely based on the tech mark. You are correct about that. Kostner would have still won the Silver over Mao by a little over .1 of a point and Murakami still would have been behind Mao. However, these bad tech calls are just one part of the problem. I feel Kostner and Asada were both overly gifted in the PCS as well. If you lower those scores by just a few points in total, between both the SP and LP, then Murakami is the Silver medalist.

Why shouldn't you just accept the fact that she is prone to underrotaions? I watch her underrotated jumps on slow-motions and the result is that I always agree with the technical speciallist. The majority of her loops is cheated indeed as is often the case with her flips. When I look very closesly at slow-motions that are available e.g. on Eurosport or CBC I actually find that she is given the benefit of the doubt quite often.

cinnamon

On the Ice
http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1014/TKY201310140125.html
She won that competition, but it is very hard for her to regain her power and energy. She confessed she was tired from the last competition in Germany. She is going to try to get enough time to practice.
I started to worry about her health a little. Isn't it a good idea to take it easy, to take care of her health after giving birth?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why shouldn't you just accept the fact that she is prone to underrotaions? I watch her underrotated jumps on slow-motions and the result is that I always agree with the technical speciallist. The majority of her loops is cheated indeed as is often the case with her flips. When I look very closesly at slow-motions that are available e.g. on Eurosport or CBC I actually find that she is given the benefit of the doubt quite often.

I wouldn't say her flips are often UR'ed. Especially nowadays, she tends to get the necessary height on her flip to make the rotation. Her 3L though is always iffy and she's prone to hooking her landings. I'm surprised she doesn't go for a second 3S instead of a second 3L.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Miki failed to be qualified as a strengthening athlete by her federation for now. The reason is she is not at the level of Olympics. But if she will skate well in the next competition, East Japan in the beginning of November, she might be qualified.
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/olympic/2014/skate/20131016-OYT1T00852.htm?from=main6

In the meantime she got an invitation from Icechallenge, which will be held in Graz, Austria in the end of November.
http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1016/TKY201310160506.html

Selene

On the Ice
http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/1014/TKY201310140125.html
She won that competition, but it is very hard for her to regain her power and energy. She confessed she was tired from the last competition in Germany. She is going to try to get enough time to practice.
I started to worry about her health a little. Isn't it a good idea to take it easy, to take care of her health after giving birth?

Why do you think her health is at risk? I think it is normal for her to be tired and lack stamina, given that she has been off the ice and hasn't competed in so long. But I don't see why it would risk her health.

I wouldn't say her flips are often UR'ed. Especially nowadays, she tends to get the necessary height on her flip to make the rotation. Her 3L though is always iffy and she's prone to hooking her landings. I'm surprised she doesn't go for a second 3S instead of a second 3L.

Kanako's 3F is usually borderline rotated (around the 1/4 turn mark) at best. Her jumps are reviewed so often because her blade rarely lands totally backwards. I think she often gets the benefit of the doubt from the technical caller (For example, I thought the rotation of her 3T-3T and 3F in her SP at Worlds was very questionable) and gets credit for more jumps than she deserves.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
When exactly will the team be chosen? Japan Nationals is usually right around the holidays/Christmas. But do they have some committee process for making a decision and is the decision during or immediately after Nationals? Timeline would seem to really matter as far as Miki is concerned.

Japans top 4 ladies are so good they deserve 4 spots

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Miki has the drive and international judges still welcome her
the problem is her federation doesn't want her and this might drop her motivation

deedee1

Record Breaker
When exactly will the team be chosen? Japan Nationals is usually right around the holidays/Christmas. But do they have some committee process for making a decision and is the decision during or immediately after Nationals? Timeline would seem to really matter as far as Miki is concerned.

Yes. or, that's my understanding at least.
I agree, Icd, it's unfortunate for Miki timeline-wise but Ladies field is also that deep in Japan. Feel sorry for skaters such as Miki Haruka in this regard, and for Yukari in the 2005-06 AND 2009-10 seasons, too. :cry:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Miki has the drive and international judges still welcome her
the problem is her federation doesn't want her and this might drop her motivation

I don't necessarily think this is the case. As Patongfan noted, her marks at Nelbehorn weren't that great. When she won her most recent world championship she was on fire that entire season, winning all but one competition she entered. Assuming she even makes the team, she won't have nearly the same momentum going into Sochi since she will have far fewer performances in front of international judges this season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't necessarily think this is the case. As Patongfan noted, her marks at Nelbehorn weren't that great. When she won her most recent world championship she was on fire that entire season, winning all but one competition she entered. Assuming she even makes the team, she won't have nearly the same momentum going into Sochi since she will have far fewer performances in front of international judges this season.

Miki skated even more slowly then she ever has and her spins were not good either and she's not that artistic. She's going to need some help to make the team.

figurejennah

On the Ice
I don't think Miki will make it. She's not the same... and I don't think she should be in the competitions anymore right after having a baby! My gosh, I don't even want to know what that could do to your body.... :(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess we encourage people to live their lives truthfully and to their desires. Ando certainly has a chance with ice being so slippery and she seems to be getting her jumps back - still it is an ambitious comeback. She has probably a better chance of making the Japanese team than Alissa has of making the American team or at least equal. I understand it is the olympics = I guess they have the energy, the drive and money.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hmm it seems Murakami is still getting nailed for URs. I'd say Suzuki is certainly a better bet at this point for the 2nd spot and it'll be Murakami holding off Miyahara and Ando for the 3rd spot.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I never thought Murukami's spot was assured like many have, although I think she is equal with Akiko as far as the two favorites for spots behind Mao. If neither Akiko or Kanako make the GPF I would think the two highest finishers between them and Miki would be sent to Sochi. Really none of the Japanese women are reliably consistent but Mao at least has a high enough BV to still get a great score even with a few mistakes.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao is the only shoo-in. For the other two spots, the contenders are Murakami, Miyahara and Suzuki in that order. Of those, so far, only Suzuki has won a GP medal. Miyahara squares off next week against Asada, Suzuki, Gold and Radionova, so her chances of medaling are slim. Murakami and Miyahara try again against Lipnitskaia, Kostner and Tuktamysheva at CoR.

It looks as if Mao and Suzuki have the only shot at the GPF for Japan.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think if Suzuki makes it to the GPF her spot is practically assured. If she medals then I think the 2nd spot will be hers.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I read my tea leaves at breakfast this morning and the answer is "NO." The Japanese ladies' Olympic Team will be Asada, Suzuki and Murakami. No Miyahara and no Ando. (I should point out that this was Chinese tea leaves.)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
We have yet to see the FS at CoR, but Kanako is clearly not in great shape at this point. Suzuki is clearly the #2 favourite right now, and it seems like it will be Kanako fighting off Ando/Miyahara for the #3 spot.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
After seeing Kanako today, my first thought was "Oh lord, Ando is going back to the Olympics after all..." Let's hope that was just a fluke, but I wasn't even crazy about the program or her skating even if she went clean.