Will Ando make the Olympic Team? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Will Ando make the Olympic Team?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
^^If she switches back to her SP from last season then she should be okay. This current SP is dragging her and her reputation down and she needs to dump it immediately.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Kanako looks in bad shape and uncomfortable with her programs
if she keeps skating like this then Ando/Miyahara have a chance

we'll have to see at golden spin how Miki scores

Npmonice

Rinkside
Miki skated at ice challenge today, scoring 56.78 for the SP. She finished in 1st place.

Triple toe/double toe, turn out on the double. She planned 3/3. Triple Lutz as solo jump, looked close to <. Double axel ok, and her Spins looked better than the ones in her SP at Oberstdorf (IMO)

My first post, yeah :laugh:

elee63

Final Flight
Haha, mine too.

I finally caved in and registered...

Ando did better than I expected at 'ice challenge,' I've got to admit. She's looking a lot better than at her last outing (those spins...*cringe*)

But, when one factors in experience and scoring potential, I still think Murakami should get the spot.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Miki skated at ice challenge today, scoring 56.78 for the SP. She finished in 1st place.

Triple toe/double toe, turn out on the double. She planned 3/3. Triple Lutz as solo jump, looked close to <. Double axel ok, and her Spins looked better than the ones in her SP at Oberstdorf (IMO)

My first post, yeah :laugh:

Welcome to the gang. And thanks for the info. Interesting.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd say Ando has way more experience and Murakami was nailed by the judges on PCS at CoR in spite of a practically clean program, so I don't know if her scoring potential is that good. Then again, neither is Ando's at this point.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ando just lost to a skater who is only about the 5th or 6th best skater in the US. Not good for a former World champion.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not only did she lose but she also lost PCS to Courtney in the LP and we know how poor Courtney scored in PCS on the GP circuit :slink: Not good at all. I think Ando had low PCS at her home competitions to qualify for nationals also. :slink::slink:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ando's total score at Ice Challenge: 150. Murakami bombed the SP at CoR yet still managed to score a total 165.76 in a much tougher field than Ice Challenge.

The fact that Ando did not win Ice Challenge will not help her case with the JSF.

Krislite

Medalist
Ando's total score at Ice Challenge: 150. Murakami bombed the SP at CoR yet still managed to score a total 165.76 in a much tougher field than Ice Challenge.

The fact that Ando did not win Ice Challenge will not help her case with the JSF.

150? Isn't that the third competition in a row that she's scored in that range? No improvement at all, it seems. Too bad...

bump

Match Penalty
I doubt it. She was never a good interpreter of music or graceful on the ice, and her flaws have been compounded after having a baby.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Based on the videos I have seen of her, her low PCS make sense. She is extremely SLOW right now, and her programs are empty. She is just focusing on the jumps and spins, and not even doing exceptionally well at those.

I cant see her making the Japanese Olympic team now unless Japan Nat. is the biggest splatfest it ever was, and she pulls something out of her hat that is amazing and totally unforseen. Even then she probably still wouldn't make it given that it has been said she has to win Japanese Nationals.

My prediction at this point would be about 8th place for her at Nationals.

Wow... First you were touting her as essentially a guaranteed 2nd spot and now you're saying she'll be 8th?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's November and she hasn't improved since Nebelhorn in September, still scoring about 150 overall. Japanese Nationals are a month from now. If she hasn't improved over two months, another month isn't going to make a difference. 150 points is about right for 8th place.

thinspread

On the Ice
New interview on her FB:

[Translation] She will compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb in Croatia. Official practice begins Dec 4.

"I plan a triple-triple in the SP. I aim for the Nationals. Still not at the level of two years ago. But I'm not rushing things. I will make improvement little by little."

Yuna Kim will be at the same event.

"To be at the same event with her will give me good input, motivation. Not at the level to compete with her. I want to move a bit closer to that level.

"I have tremendous respect for her. She keeps producing great results, even under huge pressure of being surrounded by media attention and her people's expectation. Feels like she's born to skate. Her skating has been growing, jumps are great too.

"Skating at the same event, each following one's own path."

The Zagreb event will be the international debut for her bid to return. Her story is getting closer to its conclusion. [End]

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The triple-triple she plans is 3t-3t. Miki apparently meant to land it at Ice Challenge, but it came out as 3t+2t.

Eleven skaters went for that combo in the Worlds 2013 SP. Seven attempts were successful; there were two falls and/or three URs and a downgrade.

ks777

Record Breaker
Murakami competed at Aichi championships this weekend(sp only competition) and she only managed to score 53 and placed 3rd. I am not sure who else was competing though.

minze

Medalist
Murakami competed at Aichi championships this weekend(sp only competition) and she only managed to score 53 and placed 3rd. I am not sure who else was competing though.

Sad to hear that. Rumor has it, she is changing her programs. I hope is her SP because is horrid. Too demanding and she does not sell it. I love her SP last season, she should go back to that one. I still expect Murakami to make the team.

noskates

Record Breaker
I would be knock-down-dead surprised if Ando placed on the podium at Japanese Nationals. I think the people that are predicting her success are dwelling on what she's accomplished in the past. She's had a baby - that has to have had an impact on her ability to get back into competing shape. She hasn't competed. And she's not a spring chicken anymore. Unfortunately I think the odds are stacked against her. I hope Murakami makes the team!