Will Ando make the Olympic Team? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Will Ando make the Olympic Team?

ks777

Record Breaker
I would be knock-down-dead surprised if Ando placed on the podium at Japanese Nationals. I think the people that are predicting her success are dwelling on what she's accomplished in the past. She's had a baby - that has to have had an impact on her ability to get back into competing shape. She hasn't competed. And she's not a spring chicken anymore. Unfortunately I think the odds are stacked against her. I hope Murakami makes the team!
Nope, I don't think any of us are dwelling on her past success. Most of us just want her to do well because she is making a very tough come back. It's very inspiring to me.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it IS inspiring, but she's swimming against the tide. It's very difficult to come back to FS from childbirth. Yes, other skaters have done it, but not so much in singles at the elite level, and not in a country where the competition is so stiff.

Tatiana Navka did in in ice dance and won an OGM, but it was a couple of years between having the baby and returning to competition, and still more years between the return and the Olympics. At the time Navka returned, Lobacheva/Averbukh had retired and there was a bit of a vacuum at the top in Russia partly due to the flight of Russian coaches to other countries after the breakup of the Soviet Union.

After winning the 2008 World Championship in ice dance, Delobel/Schoenfelder missed the 2009 WC with an injury; Isobel Delobel became pregnant and had the baby in late 2009 and did return for the Olympics but the best they could do was 6th. In their case, at that time there was no major French competitor who could take their Olympic spot.

Matilda

Medalist
I agree that time is working against Miki. She is a extremely talented and a terrific competitor, and she's made amazing progress in just a few months after having a baby, but I'm afraid she would need a few more months to get back in top shape. Having said that, I'd love her to prove me wrong! If she doesn't make it to Sochi, I hope she continues to compete a few more years, as I think she could well get on a Worlds podium again in the next couple of years.

Icey

Record Breaker
Curious to see how her 3/3 goes this week. Good, then things look promising to me.

deedee1

Record Breaker
After midnight in our time already but assuming it's still December 18th in Europe and N America, "A Very Happy Birthday to Miki (just a coincident but a happy birthday to me, too ;))!!!" :hb::party2:

And best of luck to her at the upcoming J-Nats. Gooo Miki! :yay:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After midnight in our time already but assuming it's still December 18th in Europe and N America, "A Very Happy Birthday to Miki (just a coincident but a happy birthday to me, too ;))!!!" :hb::party2:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKI... AND deedee1!!!! :hb: :party2:

I hope you have both had a really enjoyable day, and that the next year is a good one for both of you!!!

And best of luck to her at the upcoming J-Nats. Gooo Miki!

I really hope Miki does well at nationals too! As I've said many times since she announced her comeback, I really hope that Miki gets selected for Olympics and Worlds.

No disrespect to Murakami, but Asada, Suzuki and Ando would be a really formidable team!

Good luck Miki!!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Happy birthday Miki! And deedee1! :hb:

Miki is 26 today and deedee1 is ???? :laugh:

Anyway I hope you have a great day, deedee!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
If Miki get get 3Lz back and get her 2011 jumps content, then yes she be able to get bronze even with her lower PCS score. Right now her current contents of 3T, 3S and 3Lo are not going to cut it, even against Murakami chronic underrotation. Barring epic meltdown, Suzuki is safe for silver the PCS she is rightfully getting. I wish Murakami will go to Sochi and she is generally a late season skater (the past two years) and hope she peaks at the national and sochi.