Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law

tulosai

Record Breaker
She is in no position to do anything assuming she wants to compete, which is pretty much clearly her lifelong goal and dream. I cannot judge her for that. I cannot imagine anyone in her position would be willing to 'do ' something. Further anything they might do would be pointless- they are not even Russian and certainly have no way to impact any Russian law. I think that at least she is willing to say something about an issue she feels strongly about rather than just let the Olympic Committee speak for her.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She can say whatever! But she is not willing to DO anything.

She has done something but saying she opposes the legislation and by advocating that that people speak out against it. That's more than most athletes have dared to do. I truly applaud her stance on this. :clap:

I can't imagine her doing a demonstration of it (I doubt she would modify her costume, though that would be awesome). The point is, she isn't tucking her tail between her legs, and is actually sticking up for LGBT people and explaining why doing so is important to her, and the right thing to do in general.

This is good. Now I have someone to root for among the U.S. ladies.

Does it mean anything? Of course it does. If one person speaks out, the next thing you know two people will speak out.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
It's interesting that the first response posted on a figure skating chat board was actually hostile towards a skater who spoke up about their views on this challenging and controversial topic. If athletes can't get at least some respect or support from THIS community for taking a risk, then it says more about people in this forum and community than it does about the athlete.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well her comment is basically saying no country should be hurt by passing a law that she finds personally offensive because she knows gay people nor should she have to give up anything in pursuing her dream even in a place thats offensive to her personally. so there are options for her and things she Could say like Olympics should be moved or whatever. It's fine to say fulfilling my personal dreams are more important to me than taking That includes going to Russia and campaigning against the law.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's fine to say fulfilling my personal dreams are more important to me than taking That includes going to Russia and campaigning against the law.

Well she is a bit busy trying to make an Olympic team to drop everything and go to Russia campaigning against a law. :rolleye:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Yeah, good for her. No one's suggesting she's one of the greatest social activists in history or anything, and she doesn't have to be. But it's not meaningless either. Speaking out is "doing something" in a way. It gets out the idea that this isn't okay and people aren't obligated to play along and pretend that it is just to avoid ruffling anyone's feathers. And it's admirable to stick to your guns when you know what you say won't be well-received by everyone, and everyone else is hemming and hawing and walking on eggshells.

Yes, I agree. Good for Ashley! I don't think she's strong enough to take on Mother Russia and back her into a corner, but just saying "This isn't right" is taking a step. She has a public voice, and she's using it. Maybe it's contagious.

As for whether this constitutes disobeying Russian laws, disapproval is not disobedience. After all, Putin criticized Obama and the United States right there in the New York Times.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
She can say whatever! But she is not willing to DO anything.

and their goes her OGM medal
Karma will get back her at the onet of setting into the ice :)

the Russian cossacks will throw whip into her face
goodbye Sochi medal.

let's see her campaign for gay rights in cossack, nogais, cherkesk, caucasian villages in Sochi
and lets see how that ends up, lol

brightphoton

Medalist
Ashley Wagner doesn’t need to go protesting in Russia. She is a public figure, and she’s using her platform to support gay rights, despite knowing she will almost certainly get backlash for it. Despite figure skating have a reputation for loving gays, it’s not like that at all. See S. Hamilton’s recent TSL interview. Most other skaters will stay quiet or trot out the PR lines. It's very brave of Ashley to speak up.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's interesting that the first response posted on a figure skating chat board was actually hostile towards a skater who spoke up about their views on this challenging and controversial topic. If athletes can't get at least some respect or support from THIS community for taking a risk, then it says more about people in this forum and community than it does about the athlete.

I totally agree, but I'm not going to paint the whole forum with one foul stroke just because there are pessimists and bigots. Speaking up certainly does more than shutting up. I liked Wagner, but this really boosts her stock for me.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
and their goes her OGM medal
Karma will get back her at the onet of setting into the ice :)

the Russian cossacks will throw whip into her face
goodbye Sochi medal.

let's see her campaign for gay rights in cossack, nogais, cherkesk, caucasian villages in Sochi
and lets see how that ends up, lol

Dude, chill... she's not campaigning or demonstrating. She's speaking out her mind that what is going on there is wrong.

Also, Wagner probably isn't going to win gold anyways, and it's not because of her opinion... it's because there are those who will likely skate better. There are 9 judges and only 1 might be Russian, and what's he/she going to do, give her 0.5 less PCS? Ever thought that the ISU judges might have gay friends, be gay themselves, or be against the LGBT discrimination in Russia?

If karma actually did exist, Wagner WOULD end up winning the gold medal in Sochi thanks to her speaking out against discrimination.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Dude, chill... she's not campaigning or demonstrating. She's speaking out her mind that what is going on there is wrong.

Also, Wagner probably isn't going to win gold anyways, and it's not because of her opinion... it's because there are those who will likely skate better. There are 9 judges and only 1 might be Russian, and what's he/she going to do, give her 0.5 less PCS? Ever thought that the ISU judges might have gay friends, be gay themselves, or be against the LGBT discrimination in Russia?

If karma actually did exist, Wagner WOULD end up winning the gold medal in Sochi thanks to her speaking out against discrimination.

first stop calling me a dude im a girl.

second the new IOC has made it clear Olympics is not a place, well its good she is speaking her mind
but I doubt she'll make this attention at the Olympics event unless she wants to jeopardize her
ogm - olympic games medal

recent polls have suggested it has skyrocketed to more than 90% who are approve of this bill, so
those fake news about the the false media propagation like the kissing gesture support from World Athletics made a sour taste for most Russians. so it would be best for her to condone to the will of the majority as not to embarrass herself

Sjs5572

Final Flight
first stop calling me a dude im a girl.

second the new IOC has made it clear Olympics is not a place, well its good she is speaking her mind
but I doubt she'll make this attention at the Olympics event unless she wants to jeopardize her
ogm - olympic games medal

recent polls have suggested it has skyrocketed to more than 90% who are approve of this bill, so
those fake news about the the false media propagation like the kissing gesture support from World Athletics made a sour taste for most Russians. so it would be best for her to condone to the will of the majority as not to embarrass herself

The majority in the USA also condoned slavery and segregation. Majority rule should not be allowed to determine civil rights. The definition of a democracy is that "the majority rules, but the RIGHTS OF THE MINORITY SHOULD BE RESPECTED." Of course, by your tone, it seems that you don't live in a democratic nation, or worse, you don't believe in democracy.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The majority in the USA also condoned slavery and segregation. Majority rule should not be allowed to determine civil rights. The definition of a democracy is that "the majority rules, but the RIGHTS OF THE MINORITY SHOULD BE RESPECTED." Of course, by your tone, it seems that you don't live in a democratic nation, or worse, you don't believe in democracy.

having worked and travelled in different countries
I am apathetic and have learned to adopt to the cultures and rules of different countries :)
that is a bigger definition of democracy. "respect the countries rule and will of the majority"

this opposition is as rightful as campaigning to remove women's hijabs, niqabs as opression of women
you will find opposition for this cause from islamic women themselves

Sjs5572

Final Flight
having worked and travelled in different countries
I am apathetic and have learned to adopt to the cultures and rules of different countries :)
that is a bigger definition of democracy. "respect the countries rule and will of the majority"

this opposition is as rightful as campaigning to remove women's hijabs, niqabs as opression of women
you will find opposition for this cause from islamic women themselves

Do you also accept the forced marriage of eight year old Yemeni girls and the painful/violent circumcision of women to be part of a bigger definition of democracy?