Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
To be clear, Ashley is speaking out here in the US, not in Russia.

Here's exactly what she says:

“I have gay family members and a lot of friends in the LGBT community,” Wagner said. “I have such a firm stance on this. I believe we should all have equal rights, and I also do not support the legislation in Russia.

“At the same time, it is not my place to go into Russia and tell them how to run their country. I believe the best way for you to show your support for the (LGBT community) is to speak out about it.”

Matilda

Medalist
Kudos to Ashley! This young woman has a mind of her own and she's not afraid to use it. I've always liked her for being spunky, and after this she's the one I'll be rooting for among the ladies. You go, Ashley!!:clap:

Icey

Record Breaker
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Edmund Burke

treeloving

Medalist
It's interesting that the first response posted on a figure skating chat board was actually hostile towards a skater who spoke up about their views on this challenging and controversial topic. If athletes can't get at least some respect or support from THIS community for taking a risk, then it says more about people in this forum and community than it does about the athlete.

:clap:

Do you also accept the forced marriage of eight year old Yemeni girls and the painful/violent circumcision of women to be part of a bigger definition of democracy?

:agree:

It's interesting that the first response posted on a figure skating chat board was actually hostile towards a skater who spoke up about their views on this challenging and controversial topic. If athletes can't get at least some respect or support from THIS community for taking a risk, then it says more about people in this forum and community than it does about the athlete.

As you can see, Ashley does have a lot of respect from the GS community, so you needn't worry.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
http://espn.go.com/olympics/skiing/...-russian-anti-gay-law-absolutely-embarrassing

Bodie Miller, 5-time Olympic medallist, has ripped on the new law. Him and Ashley are hopefully just the beginning of a people expressing their opinion instead of just keeping quiet.

I wonder what Sochi officials would do if Ashley decided to dedicate any good showings (e.g. her SP or LP or exhibition) in Sochi to the LGBT citizens of Russia. It wouldn't count as a demonstration, but it would certainly not go unnoticed.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
having worked and travelled in different countries
I am apathetic and have learned to adopt to the cultures and rules of different countries :)
that is a bigger definition of democracy. "respect the countries rule and will of the majority"

this opposition is as rightful as campaigning to remove women's hijabs, niqabs as opression of women
you will find opposition for this cause from islamic women themselves

There is a huge difference between campaigning to ban hijabs, etc. and campaigning against laws that require women to wear them. The latter kind of law would restrict individual choice and individual self-expression, much like the laws in question here. And that is absolutely not something people should "respect."

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Edmund Burke

Exactly. That's why I'm facepalming at all these comments about how everyone should be all nice and polite in the face of discrimination, because calling it what it is is just so very rude. Why, how would you like it if you were trying to discriminate against people and someone called out your behaviour as unethical? I bet you wouldn't like that very much, would you? Now, play nice! :rolleye:

I can't say I blame most of these skaters for not wanting to say anything; I'm not sure I would either. But I have lost a few degrees of respect for those who are talking as if they're taking some sort of moral high ground by not criticizing it, because speaking up about a human rights issue is Not Nice. Give me a break. Being polite all well and good, all else being equal. But some things are more important than being inoffensive.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hate to state the bleeding obvious, but, Ashley's a GIRL. When was the last time a female figure skater was labelled lesbian? Um, pretty well never.

But when was the last time a male figure skater was called "gay"? In some rink/high school around the world, probably two seconds ago. That's why the men are shutting up. They are under enough accusations as it is, heading into an Olympics in a very gay-unfriendly country, so why do anything that would add fuel to the fire? The not-very-logical-logic is that any man who speaks up about gay rights must himself be gay or else why would he care?

RABID

Final Flight
She is in no position to do anything assuming she wants to compete, which is pretty much clearly her lifelong goal and dream. I cannot judge her for that. I cannot imagine anyone in her position would be willing to 'do ' something. Further anything they might do would be pointless- they are not even Russian and certainly have no way to impact any Russian law. I think that at least she is willing to say something about an issue she feels strongly about rather than just let the Olympic Committee speak for her.

American track athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos wearing black gloves gave raised fists salutes on the podium at the 1968 Olympic games in Mexico as a political gesture to the black cause and in solidarity with the Black Panthers. I doubt she would get that opportunity but perhaps her or her and her team could do something like carrying a rainbow flag into or out of the games and that at least would at least would show similar solidarity. The world's attention will be in Sochi and though the law is the law Russia will not be able to pretend that it isn't at least controversial as far as many other nations are concerned. They wouldn't be pleased and that would be the point of it all.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Do you also accept the forced marriage of eight year old Yemeni girls and the painful/violent circumcision of women to be part of a bigger definition of democracy?

I doesnt only happens to Yemeni girls, it happens to almost all remote provinces of different countries, tribal groups raise 8 year old girls until they are odl enough to give birth. while I do not support these of course. The only tool you can use is education. but even that won't be enough it will take decades or even hundreds of years to change a cultural tradition that dates to hundreds or existed all their lives. the World changes but different countries/cultures change in a different phase. evolution not revolution is needed.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/skiing/...-russian-anti-gay-law-absolutely-embarrassing

Bodie Miller, 5-time Olympic medallist, has ripped on the new law. Him and Ashley are hopefully just the beginning of a people expressing their opinion instead of just keeping quiet.

I wonder what Sochi officials would do if Ashley decided to dedicate any good showings (e.g. her SP or LP or exhibition) in Sochi to the LGBT citizens of Russia. It wouldn't count as a demonstration, but it would certainly not go unnoticed.

another old timer dreaming of his past glories, well at least he is milking his attempt of a comeback for attention purposes and endorsements same for Wagner

ice coverage

Record Breaker
American track athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos wearing black gloves gave raised fists salutes on the podium at the 1968 Olympic games in Mexico as a political gesture to the black cause and in solidarity with the Black Panthers. I doubt she would get that opportunity but perhaps her or her and her team could do something like carrying a rainbow flag into or out of the games and that at least would at least would show similar solidarity. The world's attention will be in Sochi and though the law is the law Russia will not be able to pretend that it isn't at least controversial as far as many other nations are concerned. They wouldn't be pleased and that would be the point of it all.

Ashley Wagner has my respect :bow: for what she said yesterday, no matter how she does or does not further address the issue when she (hopefully) is at the Games in Sochi.

I will add that it is all too easy for us to wish that Olympians would stick their necks out. It should be noted that the podium protest of Tommie Smith and John Carlos had severe consequences for them.
- "[They] were suspended from the U.S. Olympic team and thrown out of the Olympic Village."
- "Smith and Carlos returned home to a wave of opprobrium—they were "black-skinned storm troopers," in the words of Brent Musburger, who would gain fame as a TV sportscaster but was then a columnist for the Chicago American newspaper—and anonymous death threats. The pressure, Carlos says, was a factor in his then-wife's suicide in 1977."
"... But both men insist they have no regrets about 1968. "I went up there as a dignified black man and said: ‘What's going on is wrong,' " Carlos says. Their protest, Smith says, "was a cry for freedom and for human rights. We had to be seen because we couldn't be heard." "

Again, Wagner absolutely has my respect.
At the same time, I do not consider it my place to find fault with those who are less vocal.

Hate to state the bleeding obvious, but, Ashley's a GIRL. When was the last time a female figure skater was labelled lesbian? Um, pretty well never.

But when was the last time a male figure skater was called "gay"? In some rink/high school around the world, probably two seconds ago. That's why the men are shutting up. They are under enough accusations as it is, heading into an Olympics in a very gay-unfriendly country, so why do anything that would add fuel to the fire? The not-very-logical-logic is that any man who speaks up about gay rights must himself be gay or else why would he care?

But that might be exactly why Ashley chose to speak out. I have a vague memory of a book whose title inspired me years ago: When you are silenced, I will speak for you. There are moments when it's important to take a stand precisely because you are not the one with the bull's eye on your back.

lavender

Record Breaker
I have a feeling that more will be said by others after the Olympics. I wonder how things will play out in the future when more events come up for grabs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I doesnt only happens to Yemeni girls, it happens to almost all remote provinces of different countries, tribal groups raise 8 year old girls until they are odl enough to give birth. while I do not support these of course. The only tool you can use is education. but even that won't be enough it will take decades or even hundreds of years to change a cultural tradition that dates to hundreds or existed all their lives. the World changes but different countries/cultures change in a different phase. evolution not revolution is needed.

You're missing the point. Female circumcision and child marriages are examples of acts that are legalized in so called democratic countries, even though they infringe on the rights of women - i.e. it's not democratic at all.

another old timer dreaming of his past glories, well at least he is milking his attempt of a comeback for attention purposes and endorsements same for Wagner

You sure you're not referring to Plushenko? :biggrin:

RABID

Final Flight
Ashley Wagner has my respect :bow: for what she said yesterday, no matter how she does or does not further address the issue when she (hopefully) is at the Games in Sochi.

I will add that it is all too easy for us to wish that Olympians would stick their necks out. It should be noted that the podium protest of Tommie Smith and John Carlos had severe consequences for them.
- "[They] were suspended from the U.S. Olympic team and thrown out of the Olympic Village."
- "Smith and Carlos returned home to a wave of opprobrium—they were "black-skinned storm troopers," in the words of Brent Musburger, who would gain fame as a TV sportscaster but was then a columnist for the Chicago American newspaper—and anonymous death threats. The pressure, Carlos says, was a factor in his then-wife's suicide in 1977."
"... But both men insist they have no regrets about 1968. "I went up there as a dignified black man and said: ‘What's going on is wrong,' " Carlos says. Their protest, Smith says, "was a cry for freedom and for human rights. We had to be seen because we couldn't be heard." "

Again, Wagner absolutely has my respect.
At the same time, I do not consider it my place to find fault with those who are less vocal.

Please don't think I meant any sort of urging for action. I merely suggested HOW it could be done and why I won't be surprised if some sort of protest similar to how I described it actually does happen. No judging by me no matter what they do or don't do but my "hat" will be off to them if they did do something that represents many people's feelings on this issue; it is a serious one.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
As you can see, Ashley does have a lot of respect from the GS community, so you needn't worry.

Oh I'm not worried. My original post was somewhat tonge-in-cheek.

I recognize an outlier when I see one. Just a reflection on almost the way negative views/hate/intolerance can apply energy and alacrity as a way to possibly make others believe that their contentious/minority views are in fact a legitimate reflection of the minds and voice of a community.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Please don't think I meant any sort of urging for action. I merely suggested HOW it could be done and why I won't be surprised if some sort of protest similar to how I described it actually does happen. No judging by me no matter what they do or don't do but my "hat" will be off to them if they did do something that represents many people's feelings on this issue; it is a serious one.

I absolutely agree that the issue is a serious one. (I hope that you did not interpret my post as suggesting otherwise.)
My whole point is that it is a serious issue, with potentially serious risks for those who choose to take a personal stand in the Olympic spotlight.

I'm glad she didn't take Agnes's attitude

If you attended the press conference in Park City and heard the full context of everything Zawadzki said on the matter, then please repeat her comments in entirety for the rest of us.

If you were not there in person, I don't think it is fair to judge Zawadzki based only on Hersh's brief tweet.
In the end, Hersh evidently decided that the quote from Zawadzki that he tweeted was a complete non-story. In his lengthy article on the issue -- with extensive quotes from Wagner, Abbott, and Lysacek -- Hersh barely mentioned Zawadzki and did not quote one word from her.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Because it is one thing when you make a group a "them," an abstraction, like "gay men." It's another thing altogether when you say, My brother is a gay man or My friend is a lesbian. Then it's not quite so easy to be so cavalier.

And we learned during the height of the AIDS crisis that silence does often equal death.

LGBT people were polite and silent for years and years and years. And what did it get us? Laws like you see in Russia. I'll tell you this, I for one have lost all respect for Russia and any Russian who supports that law. And that is being polite.

Trust me, if the worst thing you can say about me is "he's a gay man," then I'm doing pretty damn well, thank you very much.

Man, the more Ashley speaks (the TSL interview, this recent vocal support), the more I find to like and to respect.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You're missing the point. Female circumcision and child marriages are examples of acts that are legalized in so called democratic countries, even though they infringe on the rights of women - i.e. it's not democratic at all.

whose to say female circumcision is the only act of mutilation maybe in men it is acceptable because of proven health reasons
but yet in some democratic countries that propose to ban circumcision, many will be against it, so which is the democratic. as I have said a million times
those new 90%+ approval for the bill got to themselves and have only the LGBT in Russia to blame. had they not resort to scandalous and hooliganism in public or a lesser protest forms maybe they would have gotten a bigger sympathy in their country, remember those teddy bear protests in Belarus ?
You sure you're not referring to Plushenko? :biggrin:

Plushy has a realistic chance if he can compete in Sochi
in Team and with by sheer luck can podium at men's singles :)