Movies That Disappointed You..... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Movies That Disappointed You.....

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Kwanfan, don't apologize.........I get the same response when people rave about "A Beautiful Mind"........I didn't care for it at all.............42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42:

I "echo" that feeling! I was even disappointed when this movie - A Beautiful Mind- garnered the Oscar over the second Lord of The Rings movie - talk about being robbed!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad, I agree again. I hate to pick apart a movie, because I love Russell Crowe, but I thought it was depressing..........as far as trilogy goes, maybe they should put "Blockbuster" movies into a different category. I don't see how "Pirates of the Carr.", "LOTR", "Master and Commander", and "The Last Saumuri" compete on the same level as movies such as "Lost in Translation" and "Something's Gotta Give"......42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42:

True! But some years there are not a lot of movies to choose from.

Another movie I was GREATLY disappointed by:

TITANIC (James Cameron). After all the hype it received, I just did not find Di Caprio and Winslet that endearing. I also could not believe a person of wealth and a person from steerage would meet and have a relationship. The special effects were amazing of course, and it was fascinating to see how the ship actually did go down, but I thought the love story was a bit over the top.

A really good version to view is entitled "A Night to Remember" starring Kenneth Moore. Made in 1957.

132858.jpg

Arwen

Rinkside
Oh, I liked A Beautiful Mind! I thought it was good. I haven't seen Cold Mountain but was looking forward to it. I'm sorry to hear so many are disappointed by it. I was totally disappointed by Bad Boyz II - what a stupid movie! One of the worst I've ever seen!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
"Bad Boys II" was terrible! What was all that Matrix-like cheese? I understand that many movies employ that style now, but this film wasn't the right showcase for it at all. The chase scene on the freeway was exciting and well done, but aside from that I thought this movie was frightfully unoriginal and completely devoid of that "buddy charm" that made the first one somewhat interesting.
Ladskater, I'll have to agree and disagree with you on "Titanic". Before I found my greatest love (figure skating), I was a massive Titanic freak. The attention to historical fact and detail was exceptional. I was in heaven! The fictional romance between Di Caprio and Winslet wasn't the most stirring in cinematic history, but I think it more than served its purpose. I'll never forget when Winslet's character jumps out of Collapsible D to run to him (I'm a TOTAL CORNBALL....I KNOW!)....so moving. Di Caprio has never been a favorite of mine. Certainly, he put down great performances in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Catch Me If You Can", but I've always found him to be somewhat one-dimensional. However, I thought Winslet did a beautiful job in "Titanic" just as she has in a string of exceptional roles: "Heavenly Creatures", "Sense & Sensibility", "Jude" (A thoroughly depressing movie, but Jude Law and Winslet give incredible performances), "Quills", "Iris", etc. She definitely makes my top ten list of actresses working today....oooh, another good topic!

guinevere

Final Flight
Bronzeisgolden, I'm totally with you about Titanic. I am also a fan of Titanic lore, and felt that the handling of the tragedy was way more powerful than the love story, which was only there to frame the true-to-life events (and thus served its purpose).

I am pretty fond of Leo, but I agree with your assessment of both his and Kate Winslet's acting (ps to go even more off topic: I just saw "The Life of David Gale" w/Winslet in it - a much better movie than I'd heard!)

guinevere

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Let's see --- ITA about "Silence of the Lambs". The book was SO much better (I read it like cover to cover in one afternoon); had I not read the book first, I probably would have liked the movie better.

"Waiting to Exhale" -- another great book. The movie was done completely wrong, IMO. Casting was part of the problem; I love Loretta Devine on Boston Public but I thought she was wrong for Gloria. And although Whitney Houston was better than I thought she'd be, I still see Alfre Woodard in that part instead. Angela Bassett was dead-on, tho. However, even beyond the casting, I still didn't like how they did it.

"Moonstruck" -- I have yet to figure out WHAT the big deal is about this movie. Just didn't do it for me. Actually, I find that most movies from the mid to late 80s that got hype, hype, hype, were nothing to write home about. "Broadcast News" would be another one from the same time period.

"Fargo" -- I DIDN'T GET IT. Straight over my head!! :)

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Ladskater: I wish Vivian Leigh was around for a lot of movies! lol
As for Jude Law in Cold Mountain.. I thought he did a wonderful job.. He is one of my favorite young actors going right now. I just meant Renee Z stole the show for me because it was something I never expected from her.. I found her role very amuzing and entertaining.. She will probably win the Oscar this year.. Although, Holly Hunter should for Thirteen.. Jude Law will get beat by Bill Murry or Sean Penn... Even though I would love to see Jonny Depp win for Pirates of the Carribean!
As for Fargo, yes, it was alittle slow (The ending was cool!).. But the creators take of South Dakota dialect was soo extreme it worked!? Francis McDormand character was something different and Im glad she was honored with the Oscar.. U betcha yaaa! lol
A beautiful Mind was an OK film.. Russel Crowe was brilliant! Jennifer Conally, Oscar worthy.. The film shoulnt have won best picture I thought, but it was time for Opie (Ron Howard) to win.. I wanted him to win myself.. They had to honor the Mayberry (Any Griffith Show) legend....and thats OK!

supersk8er

Rinkside
berthes ghost said:
Exactly what I said, we are in complete agreement. If one is looking for a movie about what gay men dying of AIDS go through and how they might have a cathartic change, this is not the movie to see. It's all about Joe Miller. Andy was just a plot device to trigger Miller's change.

You didn't read what I said. It was quite clear at the begining of the movie and even at the start of the trial that Miller was a bad lawyer. It was only during the trial that he learned a thing or two and got his act together, but through most of the trial they seemed destined to fail.

:eek: Oh jeeze...I definitely did not read your post well! I just got overly defensive because it looked like someone didn't like the same things I do! (My tragic flaw ;))

Seonaid920

On the Ice
don't kill me

SEABISCUIT!

I loved the book so much and cried my eyes out and was really looking forward to the movie. I think I didn't like the casting in the movie and it ruined it for me. I fell asleep half way through.

THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY

I didn't think it was funny. All the hype had me expecting a lot more.

MEET THE PARENTS

Same problem.

PS --
I thought these were excellent movies -A BEAUTIFUL MIND, HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG (very depressing), FARGO (sick because its based on a true story) and MOONSTRUCK (I don't know why, I just love this movie).

Last edited:

Pookie

Final Flight
Titanic was a big disappointment to me also.

Artificial Intelligence. Started out good and really eerie but got stupid about halfway through.

eliza88

On the Ice
The Piano
The English Patient

I will admit that both were well done, but moved me NOT!

I also thought Forrest Gump was simply good, not great.

I did not care for The Matrix aside from the cool special effects.

Oh, one more dissapointment, "Howard's End" and usually I love that type of movie...(my husband calls it Howards Endless)

eliza88

equestrianguy

On the Ice
The Piano, The English Patient, and Howards End are some of my favorite movies of all time.. I thought they were wonderful period pieces.. The Piano's acting by Holly Hunter was brilliant and I loved the blue gloominess of the film.. It was like Picasso's blue period to me.. Juliette Binouch (spelling?), Ralph Finese, and Kristin Scott Thomas were magnificent in The English Patient.. It is one of my favorite love stories. It's also one of the few movies I can watch over and over again and still cry everytime.. Yes, Howards End is alittle slow at times, but the period landscape, dress, and mannerisms were excellently brought to the movie. It is the movie that made Emma Thompson a star.. Although, she could have won the oscar for The Remains of the Day instead..lol With Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, Venessa Redgrave, and Helen Boham Carter all in the same film you cant go wrong!!! All these movies are in my DVD collection.. Peace