Is Davis and White's FD gold mdeal worthy? (i.e, Are they getting lazy and unmotivated?) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is Davis and White's FD gold mdeal worthy? (i.e, Are they getting lazy and unmotivated?)

apple123

On the Ice
I think that (largely due to injury) this is a big part of how V&M have failed to keep up- they have been unable to improve the things about their skating that were already excellent, whereas D&W have been improving everything, bit by bit, to come to where they are not.

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with V/M constantly having to manage Tessa's injury, training has to be paced accordingly etc.

You are not sure? V/M don't train hard coz of Tessa's legs. However, Charlie's asthma doesn't affect their training, and they train even harder. As a result, V/M don't deserve to win. What a bunch of made-up crap.

Actually I tend to think of D/W and V/M as the contemporary equivalents of Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. Great performers, different styles. But one style is not inherently "better" than the other. I just think we're damn lucky to be living in the era where they are competing.

This is definitely my feeling too! It's like having an emerald and a sapphire on the same necklace. Who'd want just one?

By the way, Tulosai, thanks for the link to the article about Meryl. I missed that too.

tulosai

Record Breaker
You are not sure? V/M don't train hard coz of Tessa's legs. However, Charlie's asthma doesn't affect their training, and they train even harder. As a result, V/M don't deserve to win. What a bunch of made-up crap.

You don't know these people personally any more than I do. You have no idea how hard they train or what does or doesn't affect their training. I was merely stating my opinion, which is just as valid as yours. You have been around a long time but clearly haven't read many of my posts- I am a huge fan of both D/W and V/M and while I currently prefer D/W I have followed V/M AVIDLY since their junior years, and they remain one of 5 skaters/pairs that I have been a huge fan of immediately, with no persuasion needed. I don't think an injury is an 'excuse' in sports or that we should pretend V/M are improving because she is injured. They aren't improving anything but their presence on the ice, IMO- something they were already great at. Whatever the reason, V/M have stagnated, at least somewhat. D/W have not. I never said anything about who deserves to win, who is better overall, etc. I merely said V/M haven't improved much lately, and I stand by it. Maybe that's due to her injuries, in whole or in part. I don't think it matters. The best team on a given day deserves to win.

apple123

On the Ice
You don't know these people personally any more than I do. You have no idea how hard they train or what does or doesn't affect their training. I was merely stating my opinion, which is just as valid as yours. You have been around a long time but clearly haven't read many of my posts- I am a huge fan of both D/W and V/M and while I currently prefer D/W I have followed V/M AVIDLY since their junior years, and they remain one of 5 skaters/pairs that I have been a huge fan of immediately, with no persuasion needed. I don't think an injury is an 'excuse' in sports or that we should pretend V/M are improving because she is injured. They aren't improving anything but their presence on the ice, IMO- something they were already great at. Whatever the reason, V/M have stagnated, at least somewhat. D/W have not. I never said anything about who deserves to win, who is better overall, etc. I merely said V/M haven't improved much lately, and I stand by it. Maybe that's due to her injuries, in whole or in part. I don't think it matters. The best team on a given day deserves to win.

Like you said, You don't know these people personally. So stop spreading rumors and stating your personal opinion as facts.

tulosai

Record Breaker
This is definitely my feeling too! It's like having an emerald and a sapphire on the same necklace. Who'd want just one?

By the way, Tulosai, thanks for the link to the article about Meryl. I missed that too.

:rock: You're welcome! It is probably my favorite article I've read about this team, actually, so I remember it well :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I actually do watch Giselle over and over. To me, it's like you're in the middle of your ballet class and suddenly you say, OK, the heck with that, let's break into a Polka. :yes:

Sorry to be a bit OT, but your post made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OczRpuGKTfY

Sort of that feeling of "let's have fun and let go!"

:biggrin:

This great article. I think there was a thread about it here last spring- surprised you missed it!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...vis-charlie-white-usa-best-shot-gold/1985667/

Thank you so much! I remember reading somewhere about Meryl's dyslexia, but didn't remember the part about depth perception. That was a really well-written article. A lot of folks know Christine Brennean when one thinks of the USA Today camp, but I think Kelly Whiteside is wonderful as well.

I agree Olympia. I think it's great there are two very different styles thriving in ice dance. There's a lot of talk about how Gracie Gold needs to be true to herself and her strengths and I'm hoping that in the time she was training in Canton she got some insight from D/W on how to do that.

w_darling

On the Ice
Like you said, You don't know these people personally. So stop spreading rumors and stating your personal opinion as facts.

:confused: While I can sympathize with your protectiveness of your favorites (I would also react poorly if I thought someone was unfairly implying something unsavory about my preferred skaters), I don't think think anyone on this thread mentioned Tessa's injury in any pejorative sense... Injuries are an unfortunate part of sport and while they shouldn't be a target of criticism or hate it would be naive to dismiss them as having no effect on the athletes. I personally find it rather inspiring that our current top dance teams have worked so hard -- in their own appropriate ways -- to overcome their obstacles so brilliantly (Tessa's injury, Charlie's asthma, Meryl's depth perception issues).

As to the original topic of the thread, I rather enjoyed what I saw of their FD. Granted, it was not a perfect performance and I do think the choreography itself could do with some tweaking but I think it has a lot of potential and would love to see what improvements they'll add to the program over the course of the season. But to be honest, I think with D/W & V/M, the question of winning/losing will depend more on the performances the day of competition. Although the teams have different unique strengths, it's not like they're complete slouches in their respective 'weaker' areas...

Yeah, when we talk about one of these two couples being stronger or less strong than the other in some element, we're talking about grade A vs. grade A+, not about A vs. C or D.

Another point: Tessa, Charlie, and Meryl are all dealing with innate physical challenges that are not based on injury. Tessa's compartment syndrome is obviously the result of some physiological anomaly of hers, because other ice dancers train just as much but don't get this problem. Meryl's vision problem and Charlie's asthma (and Yuzuru Hanyu's) are also in this category. So what we're seeing here are athletes who don't start out with the most perfect, ideal physical equipment, and yet they don't accept the limitations of their respective conditions. They just keep going and getting better and better. That's incredibly inspiring.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yeah, when we talk about one of these two couples being stronger or less strong than the other in some element, we're talking about grade A vs. grade A+, not about A vs. C or D.

Another point: Tessa, Charlie, and Meryl are all dealing with innate physical challenges that are not based on injury. Tessa's compartment syndrome is obviously the result of some physiological anomaly of hers, because other ice dancers train just as much but don't get this problem. Meryl's vision problem and Charlie's asthma (and Yuzuru Hanyu's) are also in this category. So what we're seeing here are athletes who don't start out with the most perfect, ideal physical equipment, and yet they don't accept the limitations of their respective conditions. They just keep going and getting better and better. That's incredibly inspiring.

:thumbsup:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
This great article. I think there was a thread about it here last spring- surprised you missed it!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...vis-charlie-white-usa-best-shot-gold/1985667/

Thanks for the link. I had missed it too.

What makes their accomplishments even more remarkable: Davis is dyslexic and lacks depth perception.

"When she was younger she would pretty much hug the boards because she had no depth perception," her mother, Cheryl, said. She also has trouble seeing with her right eye.

When Davis skates during warm-ups, she tends to stay close to the boards, away from the couples also warming up. "It's pretty scary to not know how far away the other skaters are from you," Cheryl said. "She depends on Charlie a lot for that. He protects her. She's been with her for so many years he knows what she needs."

We also noticed at the Salt Lake Classic that when Meryl and Charlie are just skating around - warm-ups and practice - Meryl is always on the outside of the circle. I'm guessing now it's because it puts Meryl closest to the boards where she can get her bearings better.

When competing, Davis memorizes where the painted lines are on the ice so she can get her bearings. But there's been times when she's had to compete on ice without such markings.

Cheryl would like her daughter to share her story, but Meryl has resisted. She doesn't want to talk about her vision problems or have judges and fans think it's a factor when she's on the ice.

But those closest to her marvel at the obstacles overcome and view her as a role model for others with the similar dyslexia-related issues. "She's just learned to accommodate her whole life with it," her mother said. "It's surprising that she has done as well as she has."

Davis, a student at the University of Michigan, said she became a stronger person because of it. She tells kids facing similar challenges that self-belief and determination will help them reach their goals as well.

AHA. I have been saying to my friends for years that there was some problem with Meryl's eyes. When I sit close enough in practice, I have noticed that she is constantly blinking and touching her eyes and make-up. I thought maybe she had problems with her contac lenses or the lights or something. I am glad to see this in print. Yay for Meryl and her perserverence

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

this is disgusting. Asthma and the injury to Tessa are different. Both teams work harder. Davis and White probably get more exposure and in a way support because not only are they great skaters and personality they represent a country that is about ten times larger than Canada.

Charlie`s asthma is not nearly as debilitating as what some of us have but regardless both teams work very hard; they have too and they have to practise smart too especially Tessa. In fact, i was going to say it is amazing V and M can stay remotely competitive considering the injuries.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I detest us all playing favourites between these two great teams D and W and V and M - we look like (many) should be watched for some horrific crime they way we write.

IMHO Davis and White will win. I agree V and M have not improved as much for whatever reason; I would say though D and W have stagnated or limited musical range however that does not reduce their scores - that is the name of the game. It is about playing smart - fair or not (it is fair depending on who you want to win lol). I would love to see V and M give D and W a run for their money but I do think D and W will win short of a some error.

this is disgusting. Asthma and the injury to Tessa are different. Both teams work harder. Davis and White probably get more exposure and in a way support because not only are they great skaters and personality they represent a country that is about ten times larger than Canada.

I'm not sure there's that much difference in the exposure and support unless one is in the U.S. and is a skating fan. Despite their achievements, Meryl and Charlie aren't household words in the U.S. because skating isn't that popular here, and most American skating fame goes to ladies' singles skaters anyway. I suspect that Canadians in general are more supportive of their figure skaters, and besides, V/M won an OGM in a "hometown" Olympic Games. There was even a coffee-table book about Tessa and Scott, full of photos and biographical info. I've never seen so much as a magazine cover featuring Meryl and Charlie, let alone a book.

Be that as it may, in the skating world, these two splendid couples are almost equally praised and admired, and almost equally gifted and accomplished, though different in some aspects, and it sometimes seems as if one could toss a coin to decide which one should win in a particular competition. This alone will make the season even more tense! Nothing is really a shoe-in at this stage, it seems.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm not sure there's that much difference in the exposure and support unless one is in the U.S. and is a skating fan. Despite their achievements, Meryl and Charlie aren't household words in the U.S. because skating isn't that popular here, and most American skating fame goes to ladies' singles skaters anyway. I suspect that Canadians in general are more supportive of their figure skaters, and besides, V/M won an OGM in a "hometown" Olympic Games. There was even a coffee-table book about Tessa and Scott, full of photos and biographical info. I've never seen so much as a magazine cover featuring Meryl and Charlie, let alone a book.

Be that as it may, in the skating world, these two splendid couples are almost equally praised and admired, and almost equally gifted and accomplished, though different in some aspects, and it sometimes seems as if one could toss a coin to decide which one should win in a particular competition. This alone will make the season even more tense! Nothing is really a shoe-in at this stage, it seems.

I for one am growing my nails EXTRA long, because I'm sure I will have none left by the time that gold medal in Sochi is awarded...

Reminds me of a great line from the Willy Wonka movie: The suspense is killing me. I hope it will last.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice

I don't think any pretending is necessary. The idea that V/M have not improved or stagnated is simply ludicrous. Let's look at this:

- lifts: V/M have made ever more complicated, innovative lifts every year. They are all new every year. They have the most incredible positions, and paint shape pictures with their bodies. Tessa is stronger now physically (arms, core, etc.), and they are capable of much more now than they were in Vancouver.

- twizzles: Again, V/M create new variations every year. The way they enter, exit and play with the music is DIFFICULT, and they have improved their overall stability, speed and ice coverage over the last 4 years. They used to be much less stable, and prone to more errors.

- spins: V/M have improved the speed of their spins, all the while incorporating them even more into the music.

- step sequences: This has always been a huge strength of V/M. No one matches lines, holds, edges like V/M. Over the last 4 years they have improved the overall speed of these, while demonstrating more complexity and difficulty and even more musicality. They did this so well in their program 2 seasons ago that it looked effortless and the ice dancers who were commentators made a special point of showing exactly how difficult and incredible what they were doing really was. It only looked easy. And last year was a whole new level.

- with regard to PCS, they have demonstrated increasing maturity, more complex choreography, a full range of emotions from the drama of last year to the characters of 2 years ago, to the latin expression before. This is a much more mature and seasoned V/M than the sweet kids who won Vancouver. They have taken excellence and built colour, depth, and just more of quality and speed and difficulty and musicality.

I also think it is time we gave the "poor injured, fragile Tessa" idea a rest. I know it feeds nicely into the narrative that somehow V/M are weaker and struggling, and by extension therefore not as good as their rivals. It's just not true. She had some serious issues. She dealt with them. She changed her whole skating technique in the last 4 years, as well as her off ice and on-ice routine. (That in itself is simply incredible!) She is strong and healthy, and they've never looked so happy and relaxed. When I look back to pictures of Vancouver, she looks really thin (too thin), and they both look really young. They now both look like gorgeous, healthy, vibrant all-grown-up young adults.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
I for one am growing my nails EXTRA long, because I'm sure I will have none left by the time that gold medal in Sochi is awarded...

Reminds me of a great line from the Willy Wonka movie: The suspense is killing me. I hope it will last.

Exactly how I feel about this season. Although I think I will do less nail biting, and try to enjoy this last competitive season of this skating era. We are so spoiled!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I also think it is time we gave the "poor injured, fragile Tessa" idea a rest. I know it feeds nicely into the narrative that somehow V/M are weaker and struggling, and by extension therefore not as good as their rivals. It's just not true. She had some serious issues. She dealt with them. She changed her whole skating technique in the last 4 years, as well as her off ice and on-ice routine. (That in itself is simply incredible!) She is strong and healthy, and they've never looked so happy and relaxed. When I look back to pictures of Vancouver, she looks really thin (too thin), and they both look really young. They now both look like gorgeous, healthy, vibrant all-grown-up young adults.

I've also seen some V/M fans (not you, N. Dancers) used Tessa's injury to downplay the improvement/achievements made by Meryl and Charlie in this quad. I've seen posts that say something to the effect of "Meryl and Charlie's World Championship (in 2011) was only possible because Tessa and Scott weren't able to compete a full season because of her injury."

Or something to the effect that "Meryl and Charlie's improvements and progress is a result of being healthy. If Tessa was also healthy, their improvements would be exponentially higher." Or "Meryl and Charlie were able to play catch up because of Tessa's injury."

So I've seen the injury issue work both ways, honestly.

Personally I admire all of them for rising above their personal injuries and struggles to get to the top. I think it's great, as you pointed out Northern Dancers, that Tessa has learned to work and thrive despite her injury rather than be defeated by it.

Ultimately, I think everyone has their own reasons for preferring one team over another, and that's fine. But as far as competition goes, they are neck and neck and as many other mentioned, that who gets OGM in Sochi really comes down to who performs the very best that day.

Matt K

On the Ice
- twizzles: Again, V/M create new variations every year. The way they enter, exit and play with the music is DIFFICULT, and they have improved their overall stability, speed and ice coverage over the last 4 years. They used to be much less stable, and prone to more errors.

Really? To each their own then, I guess.

V/M's twizzles have always been the standard for me, and still is. The way their twizzles are aligned so perfectly centered and controlled (without any shifting of the upper body/shoulders), not to mention superior ice coverage they have on this element puts them ahead of any other team currently. For those who want to see V/M do the 2-set twizzles rather than the 3-set, they already have mastered this back in the last quadrennial where they were the first team to achieve the maximum score on this element (Olympic FD). They've now moved on to try newer twizzles, namely the 3-set kind where they, again, create slight variations each year.

D/W are still stuck on the 2-set kind that they have been doing for the past several years: there is speed there, but lacking the control and ice coverage aspect. Sometimes it looks like they are doing the twizzles "on the spot". In general, though, D/W have been more consistent on this element than V/M in the past 2 years.

I will hazard a guess that D/W have not been doing the 3-set twizzles because they would fall right off on the third set.

Just my 2 cents.