Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can Kovtun close the gap on Plushenko?

Why would anyone beside plushenko retire after Sochi? Literally any man can be Russian champion in 2015 and or least get to euros and possibly worlds!! Gachinski kovtun voronov menshov dmitriev bush etc etc. Barring injury the huge gigantic chasm will be exactly like 2007. Lutai vs Griazev all over!

This makes complete sense to me. I'd think that everyone would hang on for the post-Plushenko era.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Kovtun's advantage against Gachinski is he can jump both 4S and 4T
something Gachinski can never do

Gachinski has 4S. He was landing them in CoR practice last year. He's just never done them in competition because, you know, more important things to worry about right now.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Good performance by Kovtun at CoC. However, Plushy is still in pole position if he is fit enough to compete.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Good performance by Kovtun at CoC. However, Plushy is still in pole position if he is fit enough to compete.

you'll get a better picture at CoR if Plushy shows up
he will go head to head with Kovtun in this GP

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
you'll get a better picture at CoR if Plushy shows up
he will go head to head with Kovtun in this GP

CoR will be Kovtun vs Plushenko vs Gachinski. The result could be interesting.

Please note: Kovtun's two-quad short can't even outscore Brown's no-quad short. So Kovtun ain't all that either.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
CoR will be Kovtun vs Plushenko vs Gachinski. The result could be interesting.

Please note: Kovtun's two-quad short can't even outscore Brown's no-quad short. So Kovtun ain't all that either.

Gachinski is a non factor, he hasn't even won a GP medal besides a fluke Worlds medal, Im surprised he isn't considering retirement yet ?
it will be a 2 man show, itt is clear what the Rus Fed wants, Plushenko if he is fit or the back up Kovtun

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm not saying he's a significant factor, but so far he has more accolades than Kovtun and is still the only Russian man to medal at Worlds in the last 9 years. He might be past his prime but he has had some successes and deserves more respect (even from you).

While Kovtun stands a better chance, clearly he is still a favourite to hit the podium and can still execute quads and triple axels. He also hasn't been to the Olympics, so why be rude about him not retiring and pursuing a goal?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
that peak was short lived then peaking before 20 years old and only for one season ?
Gachinski's problem was not only was his PCS low but he had to rely only on his jumps ( and only a 4T quad jump)
as soon as he lost that, he basically had nothing left.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
CanadianSkateGuy, don't bother arguing. sky_fly20 has made it very clear she hates Gachinski's guts (much like her constant rabbiting that Liza is fat). I reckon she asked him out on a date once and he turned her down or something.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Gachinski is a good skater and pays more attention to the details than a lot of the other guys.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kovtun can land quads. But he is far from a complete skater. He is totally devoid of musical sense. Rather than skating in 'phrases', where one jump moves smoothly into the next, and that into the next spin, etc., he hunches his shoulders and jumps, then turns around and hunches his shoulders and jumps again.

I hate watching him skate because it's like watching a beginning skater on pro ice.

Compared to him, Gachinsky is an artist. And believe me, I'm no Gachinsky fan!!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Kovtun can land quads. But he is far from a complete skater. He is totally devoid of musical sense. Rather than skating in 'phrases', where one jump moves smoothly into the next, and that into the next spin, etc., he hunches his shoulders and jumps, then turns around and hunches his shoulders and jumps again.

I hate watching him skate because it's like watching a beginning skater on pro ice.

Yes, I agree. I don't know what happened with Gachinsky.:confused: And that's true Gachi has 4T+ 3T combo and 4S too.:yes: But he can't do it on the competitions...

gmyers

Record Breaker

Very true. Kovtun has hunch jumps that get him like no goe and his protocol sheet is all 1s and 0s because he's very bad in style of jumping and pcs is kind of almost below neutral because he does not perform. But worst of all he does flying upright spins when he should be doing more complicated ccsp or fcsp so he's trying strictly to outjump people and nothing else is important but there's even a flaw there because his quads are of poor quality and his quad toe entry involves doing a Charlotte spiral.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, I agree. I don't know what happened with Gachinsky.:confused: And that's true Gachi has 4T+ 3T combo and 4S too.:yes: But he can't do it on the competitions...

His 4T at the Skate America long program was actually pretty nice. Do not lose hope! He will return!

Kovtun was excellent in the long program at Cup of China. He skated like someone who is serious about going to the Olympics if his number is called.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Can Plushenko make it through a program? Thought he was still recuperating from some operation or something.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Can Plushenko make it through a program? Thought he was still recuperating from some operation or something.

Not just any operation! Spinal disc replacement! This is THE question!!! Can he do a whole 12 jump 3 spin 2 step free skate!!!