Lucinda Ruh info | Golden Skate

Lucinda Ruh info

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I didn't realize she had any injuries at all. She is such a special skater I hope her back gets better and we get to see her beautiful skating.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was wondering what happened to her because she was scheduled to skate in a few Disson events and she wasn't in any of them. I hope she can recover. I miss her skating!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the article Jaana, :)

First off, this article is definitely a must read for those that think spinning is merely a "contortionist" move.........especially those that think of Sasha Cohen as such (not to mention Lucinda herself)..........this article proves otherwise. It definitely takes skill, finesse, flexibility, strength & power to spin like these two do ~ that is lightning fast while maintaining perfect centering position w/impeccable form and at the same time creating innovative positions ~ definitely equal to a 3T jump, at the very least! :eek: Not to mention the punishing the body takes in order to excel in spins, especially the vertebrae......makes me think spins might have been the cause of Sasha Cohen fracturing her back in the 2000/2001 season.......especially after reading about Lucinda Ruh. What risk phenomenal spinners take in order to excel in this beautiful aspect of skating ~ equal to those that take risks in order to excel in the technical aspect (e.g. quads, triple axels, triple-triple combos.) ~ I take my hat off to them ALL (no lie).

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. I miss seeing Lucinda in SOI ~ still remember her spinning in that gold lame bodysuit ~ simply unbelievable! :eek:

:love:GET BETTER SOON, LUCINDA, WE ALL SINCERELY MISS YOU (no lie)!!!:love:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Nadine:

I was a better spinner than I was a jumper when I skated and yes, it takes much skill and patience to learn how to spin properly.

I am so sorry to her about Lucinda - I hope her injuries won't prevent her from performing her amazing spins!

blurrysarah

On the Ice
I can also agree with that. For me, jumps took far less time to master than a decent scratch spin. Spins take YEARS of practice to get properly centered and fast, I found them the most frustrating element of all. Especially that camel spin, geez, I have much respect for anyone who can do one of those.

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Other adult skaters tell me that-that spinning takes years to master and I'm finding that out!:p

dizzydi

On the Ice
lucinda ruh

I believe Lucinda Ruh is one of a kind. My opinion is she is the best spinner, female or male, that I've seen in the past 40 years. Hope she can return to skating after the injury heals.

As far as the comments regarding Sasha Cohen's spins. I agree she is a phenomenal spinner. Just one of the many attributes which make her the most beautiful skater of all time as far as I'm concerned.

dizzy

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hi Ladskater! :)

Am catching up with reading some of my old posts, and came across yours. :)^)

Ladskater said:
Nadine:

I was a better spinner than I was a jumper when I skated and yes, it takes much skill and patience to learn how to spin properly.

The aforementioned makes me wonder who you are?
:confused: (btw I don't mean for you to give out your real name, but just wondering if perhaps you are Barbara Ann Scott or that other great female Canadian skater that you post about frequently, aha Karen Magnussen!) .........as I do every now & then about certain posters (aka, Joesitz, whom I sometimes think is Dick Button, but masquerading as someone else ;) ).........sorry if I let your little secret out. :D

***Note: btw, my name really is Nadine ~ funny, in the past, some used to think I was Oksana Baiul (lol :laugh: ) ~ no, never, nor would I think to ever impersonate someone I am not. Honesty above all else is my personal philosophy.***

Back on topic, I didn't really start to appreciate spinning until Lucinda Ruh came onto the scene (no lie) ~ her otherworldly spinning really transcended time, place & reality ~ and reminds me of a what Sonja Henie once said about the Great Prima Ballerina Anna Pavlova: "She had, for me, what all great artists have--the ability to give you something you had not been able to imagine in advance."

Peace & Love, Nadine

"there can be no peace without the truth." - Ludwig Van Beethoven

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I will NEVER forget the first time I saw Lucinda Ruh, at the 97 Worlds. Her spinning was the most incredible thing I have ever seen on the ice; my jaw was on the floor by the time she was done! Two years later, my mother came over and she had stopped watching eligible skating years before, but I sat her down and told her, "You HAVE to see this girl!". I'm glad to see that some of her stuff is being copied, tho of course not nearly as well. Her spinning ability is not of this earth.
She mentioned in the journal that she's teaching spins. She should go to China and start with their pairs!! Zhang/Zhang and Pang/Tong are still lookin' pretty rocky in that area, and it was the one thing that took forever for Shen/Zhao to get decently.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
And isn't Chinese one of the languages in which Ruh, a language sponge, is conversant, if not completely fluent (yet)?

sk8m8

Final Flight
Lucinda is fluent in Japanese. She studied with Yuka Sato's dad for a number of years and lived with them in Japan while she trained. She and Yuka are very dear friends and describe themselves as "like sisters."