Should Joannie Rochette make a comeback? | Golden Skate

Should Joannie Rochette make a comeback?

Mao88

Record Breaker
New article on Joannie Rochette. It reads:-

Olympic bronze medalist Joannie Rochette says she is far from ready for a comeback to high-profile competition despite upstaging some of the world's top figure skaters at a weekend event in Japan.

The Canadian, who has mainly focused on ice shows after medaling at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics just days after her mother's sudden death, said she would go to February's Sochi Games as a member of the French-language crew for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

"I'm going to do the introduction. I'm going to watch the practice and I'm going to report to the channel to say what I saw," she told AFP Saturday.

"It's fun. It's a new challenge. At 27, I feel like it's time for me to move on and do something else other than skating."

Rochette, who won Canada's national title six times in a row, the 2009 world silver medal and five Grand Prix titles, has competed only at the Japan Open since the last Olympics.

At the 2013 edition on Saturday, she landed six triples with ease, two of them in combination jumps, and placed second at 123.99 points behind Olympic silver medalist and two-time world champion Mao Asada of Japan at 135.16.

"I'm surprised. I was training like that at home. But I didn't know how well I'd do it with pressure," Rochette said after her routine to the music of "Notre Dame de Paris" by I Fiamminghi and Rudolf Werthen.

She finished ahead of U.S. national champion Ashley Wagner at 119.77 and Russia's 17-year-old Adelina Sotnikova, the European championship silver medalist, at 105.95.

Given Rochette's impressive performance at the Japan Open, should she make a comeback to compete at the Olympics?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's her call. She skated extremely well, though probably not good enough for a medal with that performance (obviously it's early in the season). It's certainly something to think about though if she feels comfortable doing that. She hasn't skated too many competitions where she landed 6 triples, so if she's clearly able to do so, she should consider giving it a shot. I also don't think she should feel bad about denying Dalement/Chartrand/Lacoste a spot, because if she's one of Canada's top 2, she should go.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I wish she had two years ago-then itd be her and Osmond for Canada-they have 2 spots? yes? Its too late, obviously. I wish we could have seen her skate without the tragedy, but I think she's done and is having a decent pro career. I live her-sophisticated, elegant, powerful. My fave Cndn lady-until Osmond-love these two gals.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I wish she had two years ago-then itd be her and Osmond for Canada-they have 2 spots? yes? Its too late, obviously. I wish we could have seen her skate without the tragedy, but I think she's done and is having a decent pro career. I live her-sophisticated, elegant, powerful. My fave Cndn lady-until Osmond-love these two gals.

I don't think it's too late but I do think it's pretty clear from her comments she doesn't want to come back. I think if she did, she certainly would get one of the two Oly spots. I don't think she'd be in a position to medal at the games, so if that's what you mean by it's too late I agree, but I do think she'd be in position for a top 10 finish if not better, and certainly in a position to go.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
After seeing her skate she probably isn't good enough for a medal but could beat Osmond still even missing some big jumps. She has amazing flow though I do think some of the transitions were waterd down a bit maybe to go clean - though she mixed an axel and only did a single. Still she has great style, carriage and flow She did that triple toe half loop triple salchow with amazing ease (watch Wagner's triple triple (not sure if it was ratified but it did not nearly have th flow or power of Rochette. She needs some bigger triples but even with that she deserves to be a Lepisto, Korpi type skater or heck even a Kostner when she did well without big tricks so yeah she could sneak in for a OBM with a bit of luck in beat the 2nd and 3rd Japanese lady as well as Gold and Wagner. Even better chance if Kim can't come back as strong. But should she come back - I think Canada would and the girls behind Osmond while potential aren't ready yet for prime time.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
She should have come back right after the Olympics...could have been a 2-time World Champion. It's understandable that she wanted a break from it all, though.

Selene

On the Ice
Joannie doesn't want to return to competitive skating. She is going to Sochi as an announcer for the CBC.

However, if she did return, she would have a very good chance to earn an OGM in the team event. I was very impressed by her long program at the Japan Open over the weekend. Her artistry has improved immensely, and although she didn't attempt the most difficult technical content, all the jumps she landed were beautifully executed.

shine

Record Breaker
After seeing her skate she probably isn't good enough for a medal but could beat Osmond still even missing some big jumps. She has amazing flow though I do think some of the transitions were waterd down a bit maybe to go clean - though she mixed an axel and only did a single. Still she has great style, carriage and flow She did that triple toe half loop triple salchow with amazing ease (watch Wagner's triple triple (not sure if it was ratified but it did not nearly have th flow or power of Rochette. She needs some bigger triples but even with that she deserves to be a Lepisto, Korpi type skater or heck even a Kostner when she did well without big tricks so yeah she could sneak in for a OBM with a bit of luck in beat the 2nd and 3rd Japanese lady as well as Gold and Wagner. Even better chance if Kim can't come back as strong. But should she come back - I think Canada would and the girls behind Osmond while potential aren't ready yet for prime time.
The way she's now, she's is IMO by far a better skater than Korpi. Kostner would be a closer comparison in this sentence. I do think she would have the PCS to rival both Asada and Kostner if she competes this season (honestly I thought her PCS was too low here compared to Asada, but this is Japan), but of course, she'll need the lutz. But then this is all moot because it really doesn't sound like she's coming back.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rochette is happy with her life as it is, and she doesn't want to return to eligible competition. She's made that perfectly plain.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I don't think it's too late but I do think it's pretty clear from her comments she doesn't want to come back. I think if she did, she certainly would get one of the two Oly spots. I don't think she'd be in a position to medal at the games, so if that's what you mean by it's too late I agree, but I do think she'd be in position for a top 10 finish if not better, and certainly in a position to go.

I watched the skate and she was awesome. I wish she would come back. She is exquisite. Sophisticated is the word for her. Vey impressive nearly 4 years after Vancouver. Makes me wonder if she might have skated a cleaner LP without the terrible loss. More than YuNa the world was watching her. That alone is a good reason to go back- the world will be pulling for her (except Korea of course, lol)

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
No, not if she doesn't want to. And it doesn't sound like she does. She said straight-out that she wants to move on with her life, so that's what she should be doing. It's easy enough for a fan like me to think she should come back because I'd like to see her again and think she'd do well at the elite level, but it's a hell of a lot of work and commitment, too much to do it for anyone but herself. And again, she doesn't seem like she wants it. I can't say I blame her.

That said, it's skaters like her that make it kind of a shame that there's nothing resembling a pro circuit anymore, somewhere where they can keep performing and competing without having to train so much or meet such demanding technical requirements. That might be perfect for her at this point.

Krislite

Medalist
The only possible reason she might come back is the team gold, which I don't think is enough to motivate her. I doubt she can do better in the ladies' singles than her bronze from Vancouver, as the competition for the podium is much fiercer now than in 2010. Worlds 2014 is not in her favor either, being right after the Olympics when Mao will be in top shape and skating in Japan.

thinspread

On the Ice
^ I agree.

Her words sound like she's not completely ruling out the possibility. Yes, her skate at JO was fabulous, but I do think the program was watered down. She will face a lot of catching up in meeting the level and transition requirements to be competitive for the singles podium. No doubt she can get the team gold, though.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I'm not a fan of Rochette before but «Wow» her FS from Japan open is my favorite program of the season so far!!

I wish that she make a comeback, this program worth an other olympic medal in my book :clap:

Also, her jumps look the best in the world right now, she could easily get more +GOE than Kim, Kostner or Asada

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She definitely would have to get back some bigger jumps and watch the protocols on teh psins and footwork but she definitely would be top ten and yeah if she got the pcs I kind of think this year even with this program watered down transition she should score if done fairly at the top equal with Asada, Kostner and Kim.