2013 Japan Open | Golden Skate

2013 Japan Open

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I am surprised no one has started a thread on this. It was interesting to see the olympic program or mostly likely Oly programs. Javier takes the early lead and some would deduce he is the early favourite even over Hanyu and Chan. Dai was a disappointment and I am not sure about his music but again folks this is early on - you don't want to peak (ie. V and T - they need to techincally improve even change the throw salchow to a lutz or flip. I think we will see Javier skate with even more conviction later on. Too bad Buttle didn't have his best skate here. the ladies is wear Mao seems to have asserted herself - let's see if she can carry the momentum. Good to see the axel attempt though too footed. She has thef low but I wonder if she has the consistency and confidence to go to the top and whether she can seize the moment especially if Yun is not at the top of her game for any reason injury, lack of training or a bad day. Still in an isu event the score (and the scores seemed fair imho) looks and bodes well for her.

We get a glimpse of Wagner and she seems to be holding up well wearing the national mantle well. I am not sure the program is her but it is new and early on. I noticed her jumps didn't seem to have the amplitude, flow or bigness but this might be due to it being a new program and early on in the oly season. Wow, poor Irina. She just couldn't jump - though I kind of wonder why Carolina and Alissa have never been pummelled so badly before. Irina skated so badly she would have lost to a well executed Yuna or Mao short program. Big surprise was Joannie. She seems to have lost her lutz but what she did do - six triples and with her maturity and flow she still would be a threat in Canada for the national team and well if some skated poor could sneak in for an OBM. I think though it is too late for her to change her mind according to the rules but she has a lovely quallity and this program though new was well done and she clearly beat Ashley which really surprised me.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
cough hmm not sure what that is suppose to mean. Hardly seen you Chemistry66 but whatever. I thought people genrally talked on this post about competitions too. So cough back to you!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We do like to keep the Competitions in the correct Competitions folder.

However, this is the third Japan Open thread we have had. The current 13 page discussion of the Japan Open is in the Senior B Competition folder.

Because it & Battle of the Blades are really the last Cheesefests standing, it's hard to know what folder it belongs in.

Another event that has been hard to place is the French Masters, which took place this last weekend. It was mostly worth taking notice of to see what Pechalat & Bourzat and Florent Amodio have for new programs.

I'm open to suggestions about where these events should be placed.

brightphoton

Medalist
Does Golden Skate have reporters make summaries of events? There used to be a header at the top of the site that had links to articles about recent competitions. Even if they're only summer comps, there should be something. There's usually at least 1 person who posts summaries in the competition forums, perhaps they can be convinced to do some official work.

I don't want to dig through pages and pages of competition threads to find the one guy who made a summary and the normal news channels are often very scarce because I think they don't actually care about figure skating.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Personally, I agree that the discussions about competitions like the Japan Open should be in the relevant Competitions Forum.

I for one found it very hard to keep up with what was happening at the Japan Open when there were 2 discussions about it going on at the same time in 2 different threads (and, in 2 different parts of the forum at that!)

One suggestion I would make, though, is to give each Senior B competition a separate sub-forum, just like there is in the Grand Prix Forum, the Nationals Forum and the major ISU Events Forum.

The reason I suggest this is so that we can create separate threads for each part of the competition.

As you no doubt noticed, the conversations got very muddled and disjointed around those times when one competition was ending, and the next one was starting. Some were talking about one, while others were talking about the other.

The other part of this issue is that when a thread is so long (eg. the Nebelhorn thread is currently 67 pages long; the Finlandia is currently 36 pages long; the US International Classic is currently 30 pages long), it makes it hard to look for specific things being discussed.

For example when I was going back to look to see if anybody had responded to things I had posted in some of these threads, I was having to go to my profile to find the question in the thread, and then work forwards for about half-a-dozen pages. It was impossible to find them by just going through the thread as I normally would, as the thread was getting so big.

It took us all by surprise the amount of coverage that we are getting of the Senior B competitions on the TV and on the internet this season. Even we were not expecting to have so much to talk about from each competition! ;) So, we can understand that so much talk about the Senior B competitions took the Administrators by surprise. :cool:

Don't worry, I know that it would not be practical to go through all these pre-existing threads and separate the posts out. That would be far too time consuming for the poor Moderator charged with the task, and would drive even the most patient person mad! :laugh:

But, I am making this suggestion with the events that are still to come in mind. It would not just make life a lot easier for us regular members having the discussions, but also for the Moderators to keep an eye on them in case the discussion gets out of line.

By the way, I hope your husband is doing much better now, Doris.

CaroLiza

ucrgirl

On the Ice
We do like to keep the Competitions in the correct Competitions folder.

However, this is the third Japan Open thread we have had. The current 13 page discussion of the Japan Open is in the Senior B Competition folder.

Because it & Battle of the Blades are really the last Cheesefests standing, it's hard to know what folder it belongs in.

Another event that has been hard to place is the French Masters, which took place this last weekend. It was mostly worth taking notice of to see what Pechalat & Bourzat and Florent Amodio have for new programs.

I had a hard time finding it. I wasn't sure if it was a Senior B or a Summer competition or what.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I still can't find it so I will just write here:) I wonder if Patrick Chan realizes he is in big trouble with Javier - three triple long program.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
We do like to keep the Competitions in the correct Competitions folder. ...

Personally, I agree that the discussions about competitions like the Japan Open should be in the relevant Competitions Forum. ....

One suggestion I would make, though, is to give each Senior B competition a separate sub-forum, just like there is in the Grand Prix Forum, the Nationals Forum and the major ISU Events Forum.
The reason I suggest this is so that we can create separate threads for each part of the competition.

As you no doubt noticed, the conversations got very muddled and disjointed around those times when one competition was ending, and the next one was starting. Some were talking about one, while others were talking about the other.
The other part of this issue is that when a thread is so long (eg. the Nebelhorn thread is currently 67 pages long; the Finlandia is currently 36 pages long; the US International Classic is currently 30 pages long), it makes it hard to look for specific things being discussed.
For example when I was going back to look to see if anybody had responded to things I had posted in some of these threads, I was having to go to my profile to find the question in the thread, and then work forwards for about half-a-dozen pages. It was impossible to find them by just going through the thread as I normally would, as the thread was getting so big. ....

Don't worry, I know that it would not be practical to go through all these pre-existing threads and separate the posts out. That would be far too time consuming for the poor Moderator charged with the task, and would drive even the most patient person mad! :laugh:

But, I am making this suggestion with the events that are still to come in mind. It would not just make life a lot easier for us regular members having the discussions, but also for the Moderators to keep an eye on them in case the discussion gets out of line.

By the way, I hope your husband is doing much better now, Doris.

Thanks to Doris and all the mods for constantly wrangling all the threads (competition-related and otherwise) -- and to Doris for starting the Senior B sub-forum :). (My best to your husband as well.)

I agree with all of CaroLiza's good points. :agree:
And strongly support his request for sub-forums (going forward) devoted to major Senior Bs -- with the capacity for multiple threads within each sub-forum.
Will make two additional points regarding that request:

- The lengthy Senior B threads also are difficult to follow because some posts are immediate reactions in real time to live streaming of the competitions -- whereas other comments are "delayed" reactions to events that concluded hours or days ago.
What I mean is that some GS members understandably are not able to view live streaming (either because of geoblocking or inconvenient timing, or for other good reasons), so they are watching archived video much later and posting then. Nothing at all wrong with that -- in fact some people both watch in real time and then go back and re-watch videos later too :) -- but the dichotomy means that comments about the previous day's SD are getting jumbled (and potentially "lost") among those about the current day's men's LP, for example.

- All respect to the junior skaters :bow: ... but IMHO, something seems out of balance in that the JGP sub-forums do not necessarily get huge amounts of traffic, but they do allow multiple threads within the sub-forums. I'm all for keeping the JGP sub-forums as they are, but also giving equal due to Senior Bs (at least the biggies among the Senior Bs).
Again, I mean no disrespect to the junior skaters. And I think it's great that the ISU posts all of the JGP programs on YouTube.​

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think we're done with the big senior B's for this season...if you disagree, please post what other senior B's for 2013-2014 need their own folders? I'll try to make B folders next season for sure.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think we're done with the big senior B's for this season...if you disagree, please post what other senior B's for 2013-2014 need their own folders? I'll try to make B folders next season for sure.

Thx, Doris ... look forward to next season. :)
(No disagreement from me about the mootness for the remainder of this season, although I am no expert on Senior Bs.)

Icey

Record Breaker
I still can't find it so I will just write here:) I wonder if Patrick Chan realizes he is in big trouble with Javier - three triple long program.

Why would a three triple program put Chan in big trouble? Do you mean Quad?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
*cough*

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?41158-Japan-Open-2013-2014

Competition threads are generally in the event forums.

Skater Boy, you might have noticed that Chem66 (in post #2 of this thread) helpfully gave you the link to the Competitions thread ... if you had not been so busy coughing back.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Skater Boy, you might have noticed that Chem66 (in post #2 of this thread) helpfully gave you the link to the Competitions thread ... if you had not been so busy coughing back.

Listen you mean people, I saw it but for some reason I can't see it on the general board on my computer screen - some of us have real lives and jobs. Why is it people have to be so mean or self righteous on these board - no wonder there are wars. But back to the Japan Open, Fernandez looks like he is peeking or geting consistent at the right time and orser will have yet another olympic gold medallist could this mean Chan will be third if this follows the 2010 trend with Joannie in third? NOt very logical but Fernandez is looking good.

bibi24

Final Flight
Listen you mean people, I saw it but for some reason I can't see it on the general board on my computer screen - some of us have real lives and jobs. Why is it people have to be so mean or self righteous on these board - no wonder there are wars.

We are mean/self-righteous for giving you a link? What are you smoking brah? This forum is generally well behaved, it has nothing to do with wars in the real world!! Way to insult people by implying you are better than the rest of us since you have a job and we don't.

I don't understand why this thread still exists, I enjoyed the one in senior B way more than this piss poor thread by Skater Boy :bang:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We are mean/self-righteous for giving you a link? What are you smoking brah? This forum is generally well behaved, it has nothing to do with wars in the real world!! Way to insult people by implying you are better than the rest of us since you have a job and we don't.

I don't understand why this thread still exists, I enjoyed the one in senior B way more than this piss poor thread by Skater Boy :bang:

It's too bad you don't understand and this isn't a competition. It is to encourage ideas and comments idealistically because for some reason people like to bully others. Why can't people simply say something oh there is another thread and here it is we don't need all the excess comments. And no, there is a lot of bullying going around or people trying to assert their view in a non positive manner. Oh and keep hitting your head against the wall bibi maybe. how is that helping matters.

Sorry all, I am fed up with this bullying I see on these boards. Back to JO - it will be exciting to see what the programs look later on in the year and I do agree Rochette had the skate of the night for the ladies even over crowd fave Mao.

brightphoton

Medalist
In Skater B's defense, the folder/forums for summer comps and senior Bs is a complete mess this year. I had a hard time finding anything myself.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Listen you mean people, I saw it but for some reason I can't see it on the general board on my computer screen ...

S.B., sorry that you are unable to see the other thread on your computer screen. I had no idea that you were/are having an unusual technical problem (ETA, I think that is what you mean?).

Speaking only for myself, I prefer to post in the primary thread on any given topic whenever possible -- because whatever I have to say is more likely to be seen by others who are interested in the topic. I can enjoy whatever content others have posted there, and perhaps vice versa. My feeling is that a secondary thread is more likely to get less traffic [because everyone has limited time (as a result of "real lives and jobs," for example)] and that posts there will reach fewer receptive eyeballs. YMMV.

Not trying to start a war or to bully anyone. Just offering a constructive explanation of the potential disadvantage (IMHO) of an additional thread.

ETA:
In Skater B's defense, the folder/forums for summer comps and senior Bs is a complete mess this year. I had a hard time finding anything myself.

Three cheers for Doris, who reorganized the Senior Bs into their own sub-forum about two weeks ago.​