The Skating Lesson - Hating on the Shibs and Davis/White as people | Page 10 | Golden Skate

The Skating Lesson - Hating on the Shibs and Davis/White as people

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've tried to watch these two several times and have given up. Their condescending and self serving manner is just too much. Who the heck are they to take on a class act like Meryl and Charlie? The sooner they're off the web the better. :slink:

Puchi

On the Ice
I've tried to watch these two several times and have given up. Their condescending and self serving manner is just too much. Who the heck are they to take on a class act like Meryl and Charlie? The sooner they're off the web the better. :slink:

They'll be off the web for you as soon as you stop clicking on their site ;) I like them just fine.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I haven't read the rest of this thread and, frankly, I don't want to either. The last 15 posts that are listed on the reply page are enough to see that this is one of those very heated arguments that I try to avoid! ;)

All I want to say is that Jenny is a brilliant skater and, even if the TSL team are annoying at times, she is a good journalist and interviewer. Plus, she was very kind in wishing me a happy birthday over on Facebook... :biggrin:

So, as a result, I won't hear a word against her!

Dave, on the other hand, is a different matter... ;)

CaroLiza_fan

bump

Match Penalty
But then again, so what? Meryl is a smart cookie. She is a student at the University of Michigan majoring in cultural anthropology and minoring in Italian. She makes the dean's list every semester. I am pretty sure she won some sort of national scholastic award in high school. She is her fraternity's "woman of the year." If she likes Scheherazade just because she likes it (and if the man she admires most is her father ;) ) -- that's OK with me.

Majoring in cultural anthropology means you're smart? Lol, that's about as throwaway of a major as, oh, something like General Studies, the major of all division I college football players.

Anyway, while I do believe that Dave's rant about Meryl was catty and a tad immature, he was right that Davis and White's response to the question was absurd and cowardly.

I don't always agree with Jenny and Dave, but I do love that they care enough about the sport to spend inordinate amounts of time talking about it, especially since no one else is doing it. It doesn't hurt that both of them are intelligent, funny people that seem to have great chemistry with one another and bounce ideas/opinions off each other very well.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
They'll be off the web for you as soon as you stop clicking on their site ;) I like them just fine.

Alas, this is the point of the whole matter: If you don't like them, STOP going to their site. No one is forcing you to sit there and watch/listen to what they have to say. I don't understand people who watch them and then complain about what they're saying and how mean/catty/immature/unprofessional they are. Why are you wasting your time and energy watching them if you can't stand them that much??

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Majoring in cultural anthropology means you're smart? Lol, that's about as throwaway of a major as, oh, something like General Studies, the major of all division I college football players.

No, making Phi Beta Kappa and being proficient in several languages means you're pretty smart-especially when you manage this while being dyslexic and having vision problems. (This would be why educational projects, like Classroom Champs, are very important to Meryl.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_Davis#Personal_life

However, being smart does not mean you are good at being interviewed, especially if you are basically a rather shy person. And Meryl is not a great interview.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, making Phi Beta Kappa and being proficient in several languages means you're pretty smart-especially when you manage this while being dyslexic and having vision problems. (This would be why educational projects, like Classroom Champs, are very important to Meryl.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_Davis#Personal_life

However, being smart does not mean you are good at being interviewed, especially if you are basically a rather shy person. And Meryl is not a great interview.

Lots of respect for both Davis :bow: and White :bow: for their studies at U Mich and for their active roles as Classroom Champs.

That said, the Phi Beta Kappa honor that Davis received is something very, very different from what most people think of as "making PBK" -- as in earning a PBK key upon graduation from college based on a stellar GPA (and perhaps other criteria).
Her PBK recognition was at the high school level, IIRC. Don't know what the exact criteria were.

Lots of respect for both Davis :bow: and White :bow: for their studies at U Mich and for their active roles as Classroom Champs.

That said, the Phi Beta Kappa honor that Davis received is something very, very different from what most people think of as "making PBK" -- as in earning a PBK key upon graduation from college based on a stellar GPA (and perhaps other criteria).
Her PBK recognition was at the high school level, IIRC. Don't know what the exact criteria were.

Was it earned differently? I didn't know about that way of being honored by the organization. That's a nice way for PBK to reach out and inspire students to excel.

Point of information, though: one can earn Phi Beta Kappa before graduating from college. Many earn it sometime early in the senior year, and some smarties even get chosen for it as juniors, I think.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Was it earned differently? I didn't know about that way of being honored by the organization. That's a nice way for PBK to reach out and inspire students to excel.

Point of information, though: one can earn Phi Beta Kappa before graduating from college. Many earn it sometime early in the senior year, and some smarties even get chosen for it as juniors, I think.

"Meryl received the Phi Beta Kappa award at her high school graduation" -- according to Davis/White's official website.

In another thread many months ago, Mathman and I got into a mini-conversation about Davis' award. He knew a lot more about it that I did (my knowledge being nil ;)). Sorry that I don't remember what he said. Maybe he will chime in again and give us the scoop.

And thx, Olympia -- I do not disagree with your point that earning PBK is possible before graduation from college is imminent. Sorry that my previous post was imprecise.

Aha. Thanks for the clarification about Meryl, Golden. Impressive that she received such an award, considering how hard it must be to (1) stay on top of academics with a learning disability and (2) devote time to studies while pursuing a competitive skating career.

You were right to make the distinction in your original post. I believe the correct phrase for actual Phi Beta Kappa membership is something like "so-and-so was elected to Phi Beta Kappa."

Local phi beta kappa chapters sponsor scholarships and programs of various kinds as part of their community service mission. The phi beta kappa chapter in the northwestern suburbs of Detroit is especially active. They give out awards like the one Meryl won to high school seniors who exhibit exceptional academic achievement, leadership qualities, and participation in extracurricular and community affairs. Here is the announcement for a similar program by the Washington, D.C., chapter.

http://apsva.us/cms/lib2/VA01000586/Centricity/Domain/1606/Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship.pdf

By the way, when I went to the Grove High School (Birmingham, Michigan) web site to check this out, there was a list of state championships that the school has won in various sports. In 2003, they won the state championship in figure skating. I don't know if Meryl was on the team or not. :)

By the way, Meryl has given some in depth interviews at the University of Michigan, contributed to panel discussions on sports-related topics, and addressed audiences. She did fine. She is not an orator (her voice is too high-pitched and light), but she is articulate and thoughtful.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
David can be snarky. I think he is hardly that awful. Rather than demanding off with his internet feed, don't watch them? Would you bother with the pc skaters afraid to take a stand? David is a gay man. He is angry at what he sees as cowardly skaters. Look, NBC just chose Weir to see if he brings controversial ratings to the FS. Johnny outed Evan and got less flack than some little podcast only we ubers even watch. Why can't Dave 'haters' either ignore him or celebrate free speech. Off with his head because of his opinions?

Every position has been repeated. It is old. I tuned in thinking something must be learned -what was I missing I wondered.

I hate Howard Stern. I guess I can't get him banished, or Weir for that matter. I still don't see the huge offense. Someone here can say my comments are idiotic. So it isn't polite or pc, but it happens here. Be grateful for free speech, even if you hate what is said.

It is so attacked. Before long, every one will be unable to speak their minds. We will all have chips with reams of info. Govt will use security and illegals issue. It is coming down the road. All our freedoms stem from free speech. If you hate TSL=ignore it. It is actually pretty darn interesting and we have FS on life support.

Way more positives than some snark or humor from Dave.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Alas, this is the point of the whole matter: If you don't like them, STOP going to their site. No one is forcing you to sit there and watch/listen to what they have to say. I don't understand people who watch them and then complain about what they're saying and how mean/catty/immature/unprofessional they are. Why are you wasting your time and energy watching them if you can't stand them that much??

I cant speak for the others in this thread, but I never listen to their shows anymore unless they have someone I really am interested in hearing (eg- Debi Thomas). I only am reading based on the thread starter what they said about certain skaters here, and it is direclty in line with their rude and unprofessional talk of skaters in their earlier shows I did watch, and the reason I stopped bothering with them altogether. Thus evident they have learnt nothing and changed none.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Dave and Jenny are going to dish in a free wheeling way, they are going to get some free wheeling, even harsh criticism in response. Most of the posters here are just trying to offer constructive criticism. I like TSL, I think it could be even better than it is and hope it will get there. I am really not seeing much that I would call "haterade" here.

This is the funniest part. They hate on champion skaters, in Jenny's case many who kicked her butt inside out for many years on end, yet some of their supporters call those who dare to critique them in a much milder way than they openly diss superior skaters to themselves as being mean and out of line, LOL! Cry me a river.

Local phi beta kappa chapters sponsor scholarships and programs of various kinds as part of their community service mission. The phi beta kappa chapter in the northwestern suburbs of Detroit is especially active. They give out awards like the one Meryl won to high school seniors who exhibit exceptional academic achievement, leadership qualities, and participation in extracurricular and community affairs. Here is the announcement for a similar program by the Washington, D.C., chapter.

http://apsva.us/cms/lib2/VA01000586/Centricity/Domain/1606/Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship.pdf

By the way, when I went to the Grove High School (Birmingham, Michigan) web site to check this out, there was a list of state championships that the school has won in various sports. In 2003, they won the state championship in figure skating. I don't know if Meryl was on the team or not. :)

By the way, Meryl has given some in depth interviews at the University of Michigan, contributed to panel discussions on sports-related topics, and addressed audiences. She did fine. She is not an orator (her voice is too high-pitched and light), but she is articulate and thoughtful.

Thanks, Math! I'm glad to hear there's so much local activity by PBK chapters, and also that Meryl has taken part in college events and hasn't just lived at the rink and in her classroom.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
David can be snarky. I think he is hardly that awful. Rather than demanding off with his internet feed, don't watch them? Would you bother with the pc skaters afraid to take a stand? David is a gay man. He is angry at what he sees as cowardly skaters. Look, NBC just chose Weir to see if he brings controversial ratings to the FS. Johnny outed Evan and got less flack than some little podcast only we ubers even watch. Why can't Dave 'haters' either ignore him or celebrate free speech. Off with his head because of his opinions?

Every position has been repeated. It is old. I tuned in thinking something must be learned -what was I missing I wondered.

I hate Howard Stern. I guess I can't get him banished, or Weir for that matter. I still don't see the huge offense. Someone here can say my comments are idiotic. So it isn't polite or pc, but it happens here. Be grateful for free speech, even if you hate what is said.

It is so attacked. Before long, every one will be unable to speak their minds. We will all have chips with reams of info. Govt will use security and illegals issue. It is coming down the road. All our freedoms stem from free speech. If you hate TSL=ignore it. It is actually pretty darn interesting and we have FS on life support.

Way more positives than some snark or humor from Dave.

I am in no way advocating for censorship. I value the freedom of speech.

However, I (and others) also have the freedom to state our criticisms of the product they put out. As for ignoring them, I had long stopped watching certain segments (basically mainly watching their solid interviews), and only went back to watch the videos the original poster (and others) had issue with and it just simply reaffirmed why I don't care/agree with some of their segments.

Here's the thing, we make criticism of skaters here all the time and think nothing of it. Using the same logic people are using regarding people criticizing TSL: If you dislike X's skating so much, don't watch it! Why don't you just ignore X's skating and not watch it all the time if it bothers you so much?

Likewise, I don't think TSL is completely useless. Quite the contrary. In fact, because they are becoming a relevant voice in the skating world, I think it's fair game to question their approach, just as people have questioned Phil Hersh's approach to covering skating or Scott Hamilton's commentary on NBC.

BlackPack

Medalist
This is the funniest part. They hate on champion skaters, in Jenny's case many who kicked her butt inside out for many years on end, yet some of their supporters call those who dare to critique them in a much milder way than they openly diss superior skaters to themselves as being mean and out of line, LOL! Cry me a river.

Yes... I don't see why it's necessary to be nice and civil to those who aren't.