The Skating Lesson - Hating on the Shibs and Davis/White as people | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The Skating Lesson - Hating on the Shibs and Davis/White as people

leafygreens

Final Flight
One thing that did deserve a chuckle, though, was Meryl and Charlie's bit about how the grit of the mean streets of Detroit has inspired their skating.

http://www.freep.com/article/20131003/SPORTS17/310030044/ice-dancing-charlie-white-meryl-davis

West Bloomfield is #6 on the list of the top 100 cities with population over 50,000 in terms of per capita income. As for the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts) that Charlie mentions, it looks like all those art treasures, a billion dollars worth, will be sold at auction in the current bankruptcy proceedings. :(

They are getting a lot of blowback for the Detroit comments which I think is unfair. I think they were asked this question to bring attention to the area because of Skate America. They related to Detroit the best way they knew how in their answers. Just because they are from rich suburbs and not downtown everyday doesn't mean they haven't ever experienced Detroit.

FWIW, Alissa was in that "gritty Detroit" Chrysler commercial, and nobody gave her flack for that. She's not inner city either.

Personally, I am utterly disgusted with the Russian Government's stance on the whole matter, and think the world at large should condemn it as a whole, but not using an occasion or latch onto a cause like the Olympics to do so, or cherry pick individual athletes as sound boards. Media doing this is rather cowardly don't you think? Why don't they interrogate the politicians, the businessmen instead, or those who are really able to do something about it?

This is a tremendously important point. Thanks for bringing it up. People who can take some sort of signification action are the ones that the media should be talking to on this subject.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I cannot believe this thread is still going on. The senior season can't start fast enough!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
True! We don't have enough skating to talk about? Only Nepela, Finlandia, and the latest JGP last weekend, not to mention Russian, French & US qualifiers are all ongoing. :laugh:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Personally, I am utterly disgusted with the Russian Government's stance on the whole matter, and think the world at large should condemn it as a whole, but not using an occasion or latch onto a cause like the Olympics to do so, or cherry pick individual athletes as sound boards. Media doing this is rather cowardly don't you think? Why don't they interrogate the politicians, the businessmen instead, or those who are really able to do something about it?

And that's great, and should be done, but these are people coming at the problem from the perspective of figure skating, as that is what their focus is on.

We DO have enough to talk about. And TSL talks about ALL of it... yet people LOVE to being up the most sensational stuff Dave says and call him a horrible human being and drag his name through mud... which is worse, in my book, than what Dave is doing.

Also, we talk about these athletes as if they have no power on the subject. They DO have power, being that they are in the spotlight at this even, in this country, and people are listening to what they are saying and watching what they are doing. Meryl said: "the Olympics isn't a place for political statements" and that is something I COMPLETELY disagree with. It is THE BEST place, BECAUSE it is the most visible. She could have said "I don't want to make a political statement, I just want to focus on my job of winning an OGM. I may or may not agree with this law, but my job is to focus on winning." <--- I CAN GET BEHIND THAT AS A GAY MAN, EVEN IF I DON'T LIKE THAT SHE DIDN'T SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS OUTRIGHT! Instead, she gave a dull, stupid answer.... and deserves to be called out for it! They also made NO sense. There is NO SEMANTICS invloved. It is both a political issue, and a human rights issue. The answer was, indeed, idiotic.

Scrufflet brought up Uncle Dick earlier and it's totally a legitimate point: Uncle Dick was WAY harsh back in the day, and gave HARSH critiques. It's in that vein. Yet people never question Dick Button's legitimacy to give that, and they LOVE to pounce on everything Dave says.

Also, Olympia, you're a smart person... you know EXACTLY why skaters are being questioned about the anti-gay propaganda law... because they will be directly affected due to the fact that they're in a sport populated by many a gay, and they will be competing for the highest honor in the sport in that very country. Their opinions on the matter ARE important. (While the extinction of bees IS an important problem... they have neither the experience nor the expertise to comment, and you KNOW that.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also, we talk about these athletes as if they have no power on the subject. They DO have power, being that they are in the spotlight at this even, in this country, and people are listening to what they are saying and watching what they are doing. Meryl said: "the Olympics isn't a place for political statements" and that is something I COMPLETELY disagree with. It is THE BEST place, BECAUSE it is the most visible. She could have said "I don't want to make a political statement, I just want to focus on my job of winning an OGM. I may or may not agree with this law, but my job is to focus on winning." <--- I CAN GET BEHIND THAT AS A GAY MAN, EVEN IF I DON'T LIKE THAT SHE DIDN'T SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS OUTRIGHT! Instead, she gave a dull, stupid answer.... and deserves to be called out for it! They also made NO sense. There is NO SEMANTICS invloved. It is both a political issue, and a human rights issue. The answer was, indeed, idiotic.

Here's the quote again:

“Unfortunately, it’s semantics. To Russia, it is a political statement. And they are the host country. I think that is probably all we will say on the subject.”

Doesn't sound like Charlie is saying that he thinks it's a matter of semantics whether it's a human rights or a political issue. What he's saying is that it's unfortunate that the host country, i.e. Russia, is playing semantics with it: seeing it as a political, not a human rights issue.

ETA: Also, Agnes said something to the likes of "I need to focus on making the Olympic team," and she has been chastised on the boards for her statement and even called and an ostrich for her statement.

And how do you know that Meryl does or doesn't support gay rights? Just because they didn't spell it out, doesn't mean they do or don't support gay rights. In fact Meryl and Charlie, in general, have not really spoken on the issue of gay marriage or gay rights, so why are they expected to suddenly speak out on the issue?

As Doris and others pointed out, their focus has been on things like Classroom Champions and helping young people succeed. The fact that kid felt better about himself because of Meryl speaking out on her dylexia doesn't speak to her character, I guess. :rolleye:

hitchem

Rinkside
For better or worse, the IOC has deemed the Olympics not to be a place for political statements. If the converse were true, then arguments about the propriety of national boycotts would hold a lot more weight.

As a gay man, I would love the skaters to voice their disapproval of this law. But again, I'm taking it as a given that no skater from North America believes anyone who disseminates "homosexual propaganda" should be jailed. And Meryl and Charlie should definitely loosen up, but I get that they're reserved people. Not every female skater is going to be a diva a la Pasha. I mean, if D/W wanted to help their careers, then an obvious way to get attention would be to start a media war with V/M and talk about how much they hate each other. But instead, we have to live with the reality (at least as they claim) that they're sort of friends.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The athletes have zero power to change politics in Russia. Furthermore, they have been warned by the IOC to steer away from becoming involved in political demonstrations at the expense of being banned from the Games---and there has been no outright definition of what 'political demonstrations' involves. Each athlete takes a risk by making a statement relative to the Russian law quashing gay rights.

Has Lease applied for press documents for Sochi? Is he prepared to go to Russia and put his freedom on the line? If not, why is he challenging athletes to put their opportunity to participate in the Games on the line in support of his cause?

They are getting a lot of blowback for the Detroit comments which I think is unfair. I think they were asked this question to bring attention to the area because of Skate America. They related to Detroit the best way they knew how in their answers. Just because they are from rich suburbs and not downtown everyday doesn't mean they haven't ever experienced Detroit.

FWIW, Alissa was in that "gritty Detroit" Chrysler commercial, and nobody gave her flack for that. She's not inner city either.

You're right, that was mean of me. Sorry. :eek::

As for Alissa Czisny of Bowling Green, Ohio, appearing in the ad for Chrysler of Auburn Hills, Michigan, featuring rapper Eminem of Rochester, Michigan, here is the follow-up ad: Perseverance. :rock: :love: :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc41XPkPdec

KKonas

Medalist
Scrufflet brought up Uncle Dick earlier and it's totally a legitimate point: Uncle Dick was WAY harsh back in the day, and gave HARSH critiques. It's in that vein. Yet people never question Dick Button's legitimacy to give that, and they LOVE to pounce on everything Dave says.

(QUOTE]

Are you really trying to equate Kirk & Lease in the same vein as two-time Olympic champion Dick Button? You surely must be joking. Besides Button only critiques the "skating" at least in public.

prettykeys

Medalist
I don't know about these interviews. Aunt Joyce is entertaining. Jenny is a breath of fresh air in a sport that had Peggy whose grammar is lousy as chief commentator for decades. She never said anything the least bit interesting and hated Tara for her confidence.
A seldom honest comment made that clear as she adored MK. Fauning. I like that these people speak thir minds to a point. They are hardly outrageous. Hardly groundbreaking.

There is a thread in politics about Putin. But given how many gay men in the sport refuse to speak up...it shows how scared people are to be themselves. If one is a gay skater and refuses to speak up for oneself, can you expect others to champion you?

I respect an Ashley Wagner more than say ??? people who allow bashing of people for being what they were born to be. At what price an Olympic medal?
Agreed.

One thing you can say for Dave and Jenny--you'll never be bored. But people tend to forget just how acerbic dear Uncle Dick Button could be. If I remember correctly, he once compared Surya Bonaly's free leg in a spin to a sausage. Lord knows the weeks of vitriolic hysteria that comment would provoke on skating boards if it were made now. And the thing is, Uncle Dick was right (but then he usually was).
Yes.

As for Alex and Maia Shibutani, in the October 6th This and That piece the criticism was mainly in comparison with Chock and Bates. Jenny "couldn't take her eyes off Madison Chock" (neither could I :) ). In contrast, the Shibutani's have not been able to shed their cute brother and sister vibe, and choosing to go with Michael Jackson in their quest for an Olympic medal is "a big mistake." I agree, they need a theme with more substance.
Yup. I honestly think the brother/sister team thing puts an inherent ceiling into their program/presentation choices despite all their technical talent.

Dave is reacting emotionally, in pain, angry that this is happening because he is gay and is fearful for his friends and himself. Could not a law happen here? He is reacting negatively to those who will not speak up in front of a camera, while they are very close to gay skaters. He has his own blog. It apparently is no longer complimentary of those big name skaters who will not speak out.. Clearly he is hurt and afraid at this frightening Russian law and ramifications in other places.
Your post highlights his position (and the others who care) into a much clearer context with real consequences.

Jenny Kirk ridiculing Cohen and her comeback at every turn was just about as bad. Especialy speaking of someone who kicked her butt everytime for many years (actually that was probably the root of the whole matter). Someone who never did better than 15th at Worlds writing in 5 seperate blog entries that 4 time World and Olympic medalist Sasha "could not handle pressure". Even better she said in one article that Sasha would be viewed as a dissapointment and failure once again if she somehow failed to win gold in Vancouver (while everyone with a brain knew even winning a bronze in Vancouver would be a miracle for Sasha by that point).
I remember this, and as a fan of Cohen I recall roasting Kirk on these forums. Yes, it did seem to me at the time that she had a personal chip on her shoulder against Cohen. And...I've gotten over it and changed my mind about Kirk regarding this blog/project because 1) everyone grows, and I think she's grown past that, and 2) it doesn't change the fact that I think she is now doing what I think is a good, honest job.

MasterB

Final Flight
I personally love what TSL has done so far. However, Dave sometimes goes a bit beyond my taste. I watch this like I watch everything else. I keep an open mind. I only hope they read this forum and take the criticism to improve their blog. It would be a shame to see it end.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I appreciate their viewpoints, even if I don't usually agree with them. Probably the best thing about them is that they give a lot of the insiders that they interview a big block of time to discuss details about their role in the skating community.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I personally love what TSL has done so far. However, Dave sometimes goes a bit beyond my taste. I watch this like I watch everything else. I keep an open mind. I only hope they read this forum and take the criticism to improve their blog. It would be a shame to see it end.

No, no, no, really, it would not be a shame. Their 15 minutes of infamy, has gone on way too long. On too many occasions I've seen them sprout innuendo and personal opinion as fact. I have no respect/tolerance for that. People work too hard for reckless people to do that. There are way too many tabloid rags around. It's time for some real integrity where the coverage of the sport is concerned.

Their timely demise would just clear the way for a better product to come to the fore. No I repeat it would not be a shame if they were no more but a welcome relief. They can't be allowed to continue as is. No.:mad: Now can we talk about figure skating?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Now can we talk about figure skating?

We already are talking about it. As is TSL...more than any other outlet in North America or Europe (that I know of).

Take their opinions as you will. Regardless of whether you agree or not, everything they say has a point. It's not empty "tabloid rag" banter.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

(QUOTE]

Are you really trying to equate Kirk & Lease in the same vein as two-time Olympic champion Dick Button? You surely must be joking. Besides Button only critiques the "skating" at least in public.

Yeppers. Just wait til you see an interview with Jenny, Dave, and Dick. That is magic. Even with Frank it approached magic, but get Dick on it, it will be historical. Get over ur hate, grl.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Scrufflet brought up Uncle Dick earlier and it's totally a legitimate point: Uncle Dick was WAY harsh back in the day, and gave HARSH critiques. It's in that vein. Yet people never question Dick Button's legitimacy to give that, and they LOVE to pounce on everything Dave
Button would say so and so's boots are so ugly why is she wearing them! Costume is part of the whole package but he could see a whole performance and say boots were ugly at the end.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
AFAIR, I think it was Dirty Boots that got Uncle Dickie's goat. They annoyed him because all that's between you and clean boots is a little elbow grease and polish.